Author Topic: Carburetor madness by Drew  (Read 49873 times)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Carburetor madness by Drew
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2017, 09:12:27 PM »
Thanks Werby.

To anyone else:
The original Network54 post was regarding buying one of those secondary jet plates where you can put holley jets in.  That poster was having an issue with the secondary float sticking and that is because there is a special secondary float required for usage with those jet plates.
I'd mentioned that it's a massive waste of money and you'd be better off just drilling and tapping the metering plate for set screws.  JohnV didn't understand what I meant (mostly because I was less than clear in my description), so I posted some photos and a link to this thread.

Anyway:
Up top the idle feed can be tapped for 4-40 set screws, and the bottom can be tapped at 8-32.  Drill the restriction you wish to, in those set screws.  You can buy a 100 set screws for what one set of Holley jets cost.

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2017, 11:05:51 AM »
Its cool that you can put downleg boosters in a 600 cfm Holley.  That's what they have needed for a long time.  Just wondering how you are handling the calibration with the new boosters?

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2017, 06:12:52 PM »
It's the whole package.
Main metering timing is (somewhat) controlled by your HSAB and your emulsion bleeds.  The requirements are obviously different for every booster....
This is how the Autolite carbs got away with not having much of an idle circuit, they tried to do all the metering with the annular boosters.

Finding exactly when the idle circuit becomes inactive and when the main comes online requires either an o2 or causing a lean surge and then backtracking as needed.
Once you get a pretty decent calibration down it works pretty well with *almost* any engine (especially as a baseline).   Downlegs don't change things around too much, annulars mess it all up and you need to do a lot of work to get the calibration to work.

Yeah, it takes a good bit of driving around, tuning, changing, but once you have it, it works.  Keep good notes.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2017, 09:31:56 PM »
Fine walnut shells do a good cleaning job where you need to be careful of leaving any residue. Any sort of hard stuff has a peening effect. Glass beads are about as hard as you can get.

KS

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2017, 10:34:46 PM »
I'll have to experiment with them someday Ken.
I find for leaving a good finish having the gun about 18inches away and the pressure at 40psi does the best job.

When my beads get exhausted and I need to change them out, I'll experiment with the walnut shells.
Honestly as small as the bleeds are in a carburetor, I think the after blast cleaning process is still going to be just as involved.

That said, I think the peening/stripping action is what is required to expose new zinc for the dichromate to bite in to.  I'm not blasting these to clean them.... they are already squeeky clean when they leave the ultrasonic cleaner.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 10:37:31 PM by Drew Pojedinec »

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2017, 11:09:03 AM »
I'll be documenting a lot of other carburetor related info and restoration stuff on my facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/AirFuelSParkTech/

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2017, 02:05:22 PM »
If you're not looking to strip the old plating off, the best cleaner I have found is the Motorcraft Tune Up Cleaner. PN# PM-3. It works ten times better than Berryman's Chem-Dip, IMO. I put it in a spray bottle and apply it, let it soak for a few minutes, and use a parts cleaning brush if necessary. Nice work, btw!
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2017, 02:59:15 PM »
Thanks Jared, I'll try that out sometime.
I've been using simple green in an ultrasonic cleaner at 125degrees.  Typically 2-3 15 minute runs do the trick.  I need to find another cleaner for aluminum as SG makes them kinda get a smut that needs to be cleaned off.

When I decided I wanted to fully dive into this the first thing I did was get MSDS's for everything and minimize future damage to myself.
So the dichromates I use tho dangerous are far better than the old ones, requiring less ventilation, etc.  The cleaners I pretty much have done away with.  I may use a little spray carb cleaner here or there but I regularly do complete rebuilds without anything more than soaps and detergents, etc.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2017, 11:58:52 PM »
Been busy, finally got home.... lotsa stuff to build and do.
Got to plating a pile of hardware, really getting consistent with the coloration.

I'd post more here, but I've been putting most content on that facebook page above, it's a bit of trouble to double post everything.  Anyhow, trying to get the shiny but not too shiny yellow down, getting close to where I want it.

Tony Fritz

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2017, 08:46:40 AM »
Nice work. Just an FYI I tried using a product called Oil Eater for cleaning carbs....worked surprisingly well. Maybe something to try in your ultrasonic cleaner?? BTW my brother is the National Sales Manager for Oil Eater so a sample could be had....

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2017, 08:51:55 AM »
Its so nice to bolt together with freshly plated parts

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2017, 10:09:28 AM »
Nice work. Just an FYI I tried using a product called Oil Eater for cleaning carbs....worked surprisingly well. Maybe something to try in your ultrasonic cleaner?? BTW my brother is the National Sales Manager for Oil Eater so a sample could be had....

I might try it someday, It's roughly 6 times more expensive than La Awesome Cleaner, which is what I'm currently using with great success.  Cheaper is better as of now as after I dunno maybe a dozen carbs the cleaners have enough carbon and junk in them they need to be retired otherwise they will stain the metal.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2017, 11:08:49 PM »
Did a 3310 I really liked.
I used a black dichromate on the choke post after plating it.... I really like the contrast.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2018, 10:09:46 AM »
Sorry for the large photos, I got a new camera.

Anyway, bout to leave offshore this week so packing up the stuff I built this month and trying to get it all shipped out.
I seem to have gotten the consistency I've desired.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2018, 11:44:06 AM »
They look really good, Drew.  Great job!
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC