Author Topic: Carburetor madness by Drew  (Read 50056 times)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Carburetor madness by Drew
« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2018, 11:27:07 PM »
I've yet to master getting that early greenish look and keep the iridescent swirls.
I can do it by making the solution super weak, but it comes out a good bit greyer.  Other attempts either end up grey or matte olive drab, which although it looks neat, doesn't look totally right.

I really need to keep my one green batch as it is now, and start playing with the ph of another batch, or trying different presoaks.  It'll be funny, citric acid presoak will work great for one chromate, and have zero effect with another.  Phosphoric acid will work great with one, and be highly variable with another, etc.  Same thing with different cleaners that are used to prep the castings before etching.  They have a dramatic effect on the end product.

Part of it is the yellow I have can be dried at higher temps which aid the rainbow effect, but if I do that with my greenish chromate it ends up killing it, as that chem is considerably less heat tolerant.

Still a work in progress, but I've officially been doing this for 14 months now, roughly 120-125 carbs restored.

I now have about 12 different chromates, (maybe more) and haven't really figured them all out yet, just need more time experimenting with different presoaks and drying techniques, but it's hard when buying a batch often costs $600.

Either way, just updating this thread since my last post was in June :p
Luckily, I had a customer send some carbs from Joe Bunetic, and I've had a few others sent to me from other restorers as most of those folks apparently do not test out the carbs on an engine.  It's been nice to compare their results and try to figure on how they did what to get what effect.

My actual zinc plate has gotten considerably nicer on the steel hardware.  I gave up using a "commercially prepped" formula and went ahead and made my own chloride solution.  At least this way I know what is in it.
Herb Geduld wrote a great book on zinc plating, a worthy read for anyone into learning this.  Sadly it's a very expensive book.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2018, 01:23:53 PM »
   Drew,
       One of my friends used "Alodyne" for the gold coloration . I only remember the name as I had nothing to do with the "coloring" process. I remember he said if he left it in too long it would get very dark ( on aluminum).  Can't say anything about strength of solution or any of that. wish I had paid more attention now that he has passed on.
    Randy

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2018, 01:52:13 PM »
Yessir, I have 5 gallons of Alodine 1201.  It works ok, It's designed for aluminum, so I tried to not use it overly much as I'm not certain what kind of protection it provides on zinc casting over time.
I should probably whip up some cheap generic carbs and play with Alodine more.

The green chromate is somewhat forgiving in regards to time, but it's also somewhat more variable in action.
The one yellow I have doesn't work on castings at all but it's fantastic on plated hardware, tho the temperature and prep needs to be totally perfect.   The other yellow is very touchy.  6 seconds and it does nothing, 8 seconds and it comes out nice, 10 seconds and it comes out brown.  Really can't even time it, just have to keep pulling the piece out and inspecting it as I go.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2018, 02:17:21 PM »
Been playing with the yellows more.
Finished this -U carb this morning.
Hasn't gotten fully to where I want it yet, but it's certainly not bad...

On another note, whoever came up with that BorgWarner needle and seat setup should be beaten.  Every dang CJ or GT carb I get in with them is stripped out.  Really annoying to have to redo every one of them.

IMG_1142 by Drew Pojedinec, on Flickr

IMG_1227 by Drew Pojedinec, on Flickr
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 02:19:25 PM by Drew Pojedinec »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2018, 02:44:20 PM »
All I can say is....you do an awesome job. That looks fantastic and makes me wish I had something that needed restored. I might have to come up with something, just because.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2018, 03:54:13 PM »
All I can say is....you do an awesome job. That looks fantastic and makes me wish I had something that needed restored. I might have to come up with something, just because.

Clearly the answer is that we need more cars.

I could use another vehicle that runs a 3x2 for "testing purposes" obviously.....

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2018, 05:06:13 PM »
x4000 or so on that needle and seat deal.  Absolute junk that destroyed many good carbs.

One of the challenges is that Holley themselves were not real consistent on the coloration. The dichromate was considered as a functional, protective coating and not really considered as a cosmetic item.  I saw a lot of them in the 1980s where the bowls did not match the main bodies, etc.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2018, 06:41:40 PM »
Yessir. Made worse by it being an alloy and I suspect different casting runs look differently.

I have a good repair procedure for the primary bowl needle and seat, but it still adds $10 and 30 minutes of time.
One of my next projects is to take generic vintage bowls, drill and tap them on the mill, and use a die grinder to open the fuel entrance. Will be super nice to make my own cj primary bowls.
The transfer tube tightening procedure must cause a lot of fuel inlet strippings as well. I have a 7/8-20 helicoil repair setup as well... but honestly, I’d rather not when dealing with fuel.

hvywrench

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 28, 2018, 06:59:04 PM »

X2 Doug, I was thinking that I was the only one that was trying to come up with a reason, any reason, to ship Drew another carb.
Good to know that I'm not alone in that.
I have the original 735 from my PI...it was rebuilt a while ago and never installed on anything.
I pull it out of the box from time to time and try to justify sending it down to GA to be rebuilt 'better'.
Still might.....just need to talk myself into it.
Bill

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #114 on: December 28, 2018, 07:59:46 PM »
The transfer tube tightening procedure must cause a lot of fuel inlet strippings as well. I have a 7/8-20 helicoil repair setup as well... but honestly, I’d rather not when dealing with fuel.

Yeah - not a lot of cross section there for threading/rethreading in a zinc casting.  Never liked that deal even though they made a gazillion of them.  Guys using a gigunda wrench to tighten the fitting and starting it crossways probably killed a few bowls...used to sell a bunch of self threading repair fittings for Q-Jets back when I was working a parts counter.

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 28, 2018, 11:51:03 PM »
Coloration looks good!

Val406

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 01, 2019, 09:00:47 PM »

Val406

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 01, 2019, 09:32:26 PM »
Just learning this postimage thing now. This'll be pic HEAVY. I got this carb at the Pomona Swap Meet 25 yrs. ago. Even then, FE seemed relatively scarce. 406c.i. B-Code 4bbl. New. Hopefully Drew will get a feel for the colors. Feel free to reach out for more pics, daylight pics, etc.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 01, 2019, 10:35:02 PM »
Awesome.  Thanks Val, I've gotten a few like that and can replicate that exact look.  I certainly appreciate the photos and if I run across one of those, I'll revisit the images to make sure I've got it all right.

I can do: 1970's shiny yellow, pale green/grey, the bronze like in your picture, and a light iridescent yellow that looks pretty good.  Hit or miss is the iridescent green which is what I'm really trying to get nailed down.
The differences sometimes is a minor surface finish texture, or a chromate temperature.... really splitting hairs.

examples of the one that eludes me:

IMG_0629 by Drew Pojedinec, on Flickr

IMG_06282 by Drew Pojedinec, on Flickr

IMG_06301 by Drew Pojedinec, on Flickr
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:37:10 PM by Drew Pojedinec »

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 02, 2019, 08:20:43 PM »
2X to pretty big color variations on new ones right from Holley. Even a brand new, unused carb sitting on a shelf (heated spot or not) for years does change its color.

Bob Maag