Author Topic: Do You Like Your FAST. EZ System ?  (Read 3182 times)

427HISS

• View Profile
Do You Like Your FAST. EZ System ?
« on: October 15, 2017, 03:32:52 PM »
I'm purchasing a very cool BORAL/TWM 8 stack injection system, but my great mechanic friend says I should get a stand alone computer, as their much better than the self learn's. If you have the FAST, let me know the good & bad.

I asked a guy from FAST about the age of the controller, and he said the housing has changed but the programing is the same. This controler and wiring looks brand new. The first owner said he had this on his truck for two years, then decided to bring the truck back to original, which has a carb.

Here's mine.

427HISS

• View Profile
Re: Do You Like Your FAST. EZ System ?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 05:48:01 PM »
Anyone ?

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 08:30:48 AM »
I used the FAST EZ system on my EMC engine this year.. It is the port injection version..  Mine is set up to control fuel only  not ignition.. I find it a nice simple way to get your feet wet on fuel injection.. By imputing the engine parameters the system will build you a fuel map.. running the engine will take input from the wide band O2 sensor to adjust the map to hit the targeted AF ratios for idle, cruise, and WOT.

In pre-contest testing at Jay's dyno, we tried both his MS3Pro system and the EZ FAST system..   The more sophisticated MS3 was worth about 1% in power production vs the much simpler FAST system.. At the contest the FAST EZ performed well.  I was able to make 3 AF adjustments in less than a minute each
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 07:55:18 PM »
That's great to hear, as he MS3Pro system is pretty expensive.
1% is not anything to cry about.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 08:18:34 AM »
Wide open throttle performance is a lot different than part throttle and driveability performance.  At WOT, you only have to be concerned with getting the A/F right. 

I am not a fan of the self-tuning EFI systems.  Take a look at the SOHC project thread in the Member Projects section.  That started out as a FAST setup.  Not anymore...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 02:50:09 PM »
I have a not-so-wonderful story, but of course maybe I was just dealing with the un-lucky one....

My uncle Doug fully restored a Z-28 Camaro for his friend in Amarillo. His friend didn't want a carb to tune so I convinced Doug that this system was probably best. Long story short, there was a bad throttle position sensor, an O2 sensor that eventually went bad, and they had to send us a new display. They covered all of it under warranty no problem, but when you're trying to get a car out of the door and back to Texas, 2 weeks to solve each problem doesn't help. We got the car to Texas and it didn't adjust well to the transition from Colorado to there. Many hours spent on their tech support line (they're more than willing to help, I rode along in the car trying to tune it with them on the phone). I think we're going to fly down there, take it off, and put a carb on it. Growing tired of dealing with it, especially 500 miles away now.

Here's the car:
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 10:50:05 AM »
I've heard good and bad about the self learn. After so many years that the aftermarket would have all the issues worked out, even the learn programs.
My buddy Chad owns a auto shop, a performance side to it and has two chassis dyno's. He is a AMP and he likes the MS3 engine management system. He is very good at tuning anything. His cost is under $900. I told him we should try the EZ  and if it does not work  well, then I'll see what's left in my budget. I can sell the EZ to help pay for the AMP.

https://www.ampefi.com

By the way, Love the Camaro. My second car I built at 18 years old, was a Pro-Street Camaro. 468 Ratt, Muncie, tubbed for a 9".
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 10:52:40 AM by 427HISS »

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 11:20:25 AM »
I had the EZ del work OK on a couple milder builds - but it was very unhappy on more serious stuff and was replaced by something with more tuning capacities on at least a couple builds.

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 09:05:45 PM »
I'm sure I will step up to the MS3 system. The newer FAST can be hooked up to a laptop.

Very excited to pick up my 8 stack tomorrow at our local Fed-X, and the engine on Friday.