Author Topic: BBM block main studs  (Read 2450 times)

feadam

• View Profile
BBM block main studs
« on: October 07, 2017, 08:27:34 PM »
Anyone using a BBM block having interference from rear main studs on oil pan rail?

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: BBM block main studs
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 09:30:02 PM »
I don't have a BBM block, but that's a pretty common issue on most aftermarket FE blocks. There are several different ways to attack it.  Some guys machine the rear cap to deepen the boss, getting the studs and nuts below the rail surface. Some guys modify the pan to go around the studs, and some guys just use bolts on the rear cap to avoid the issue.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 05:26:29 AM »
Yes, pan will interfere there.

Set the pan on and smack it with a rubber mallet or dead blow.  It will leave witness marks where the studs hit.  Take a ball peen hammer and hit the marks, won't take much at all. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

1967 XR7 GT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 12:58:58 PM »

Will the studs still be an issue, when using a windage tray and dbl gaskets ? I haven't mocked them up yet to find out. I have an aluminum pan so my only options are either bolts for the cap or machine the cap. I had bought my studs from a private party, and then find out ARP makes a kit with 2 ARP bolts instead of studs for the cap.
Richard

"Frankly, I'm tired of hearing all the complaints; makes me wonder why I bother hosting this forum."

feadam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 03:02:53 PM »
I'm using the aviad oil pan and i modified the windage tray that comes with the pan, but with the tray and gaskets the pan will be close . I haven't tried the pan on engine with studs in

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 06:13:08 PM »

Will the studs still be an issue, when using a windage tray and dbl gaskets ? I haven't mocked them up yet to find out. I have an aluminum pan so my only options are either bolts for the cap or machine the cap. I had bought my studs from a private party, and then find out ARP makes a kit with 2 ARP bolts instead of studs for the cap.

Depends on the tray, but you will have to trim the first gasket around the studs.  Sometimes the tray will then sit down, sometimes they hit.  You may have to clearance the tray, but it should let the pan sit down.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 08:41:38 PM »
I'm not sure if the BBM block has the same depth of main bolt holes as a factory block. I used ARP studs in my factory block and machined the rear cap to lower the nut and washer below pan rail level. I called ARP and ordered their 4.060" studs for #5 cap. They sit very close to pan rail as is. Maybe use a bottoming tap or cut a thread off to get it there.

Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86