Author Topic: Dove aluminum CJ heads ?  (Read 2801 times)

427HISS

• View Profile
Dove aluminum CJ heads ?
« on: October 05, 2017, 09:48:22 PM »
Are these copied original heads (aluminum though) that have some mods to them ?
What's the good and bad?

427HISS

• View Profile
Re: Dove aluminum CJ heads ?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 09:47:29 AM »
Anybody ?

Is his intake the tunnel wedge ?

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 12:15:54 PM »
So, some Dove fans here, some less than fans

Dove heads are nice if they don't leak, but people have seens some bad castings here and there.  I don't want to pick a camp, some are passionate, but if that head is a good head, it's likely good for your Snake, same with a tunnel wedge

As far as alum CJ heads, someone will likely chime in, but I think he makes something he calls a Canadian CJ, not just a simple copy of the CJ.  They flow real well, 300+ well.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 12:29:07 PM »
I've never owned a Dove head so I don't have any direct knowledge, I looked through my old Dove catalogs for this info - there were multiple versions of the Dove CJ head offered and may have even been changes over the years. There was one with a close to "normal" size combustion chamber and one with a small combustion chamber. There were some with the smaller regular FE sized valves and some with the CJ sized valves. There were some with with "regular" intake & exhaust ports and some with so-called Canadian CJ intake port and "SK" exhaust port. These weren't all separate heads, they came as some combination of these characteristics.

The bad is a lot of people have reported various quality issues with Dove castings over the years, but many have not had issues, so it's hit or miss.

Yes, that looks like a Dove version of a Tunnel Wedge intake manifold. They are not an exact copy of the Ford Tunnel Wedge. 
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 03:27:59 PM »
Hum, don't know what to say. I thought the name Dove were always a qualty product's and very wanted amoung FE users.
I'm very interested in a engine he has for sale. Just waiting for a spec sheet and prefered paying method.

Larry Dove built this one.

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/d/big-block-ford-428-ci/6318265737.html

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 01:59:18 AM »
Dove made a ton of different heads and other FE parts with varying degrees of quality. I have 2 different sets of Canadian CJ heads and both run fine although they don't flow well out of the box. The advertised 320 is attainable but not without a lot of work. One set here has the small chambers along with smaller intake and exhaust ports. That motor uses flat top pistons while my other motor needed a good dome to get the same compression ratio. The larger port version needed epoxy on the intake port floors to make it flow decently. Both have a lot of visible porosity but no leaks and as a side note, I think all Dove heads have the same SK casting number.

As for the Tunnel Wedge, mine had no issues but was also worked over a bit to balance the flow. The engine you are considering seems like a decent deal however it's the unknowns that can make or break a deal.