Author Topic: Building a Technical Archive for this site  (Read 7606 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Building a Technical Archive for this site
« on: April 23, 2011, 10:42:33 PM »
When I first put this site together I thought that one really nice feature would be to have a technical archive of test data, tips, and tricks that apply to FE engines and cars.  On the main FE power site I have a start of that, with dyno and flow bench results:

http://www.fepower.net/dyno_results.html

I've gotten some suggestions from some members here to expand this and include things like disassembly and assembly tips specific to FEs, simple repair tips for FE cars, a list of engine builds and the associated dyno results, etc.  So, I was thinking about revamping the main page to say "Technical Archive" instead of "Dyno Results", and then having categories under the archive heading like "Dyno Results", "Flow Bench Results", "Assembly Tips", etc. 

I've also given some thought to putting this stuff on the message board itself somehow, but that makes it a lot more difficult to organize, so I think I'll probably leave it under the main site.  I will put a link to the Technical Archive on the board so it will be easier to get to.

Any comments or suggestions on this?  I'm all ears...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Cyclone03

• View Profile
Re: Building a Technical Archive for this site
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 11:12:16 PM »
The sub category's sounds like the way to go. Then if a member has a question or comment it can be made in the tech section of the forum without confusing the more permanent articles on the main page.

The Tips and Tricks for engine assembly could fill a complete message board alone.......
Setting up rockers,stands,pushrod clearance to manifold,manifold to head,restrick/don't restrick oil passages,rear main seal..........
Lance H

Mario428

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 04:47:54 AM »
On the 460 forum they have a separate forum for engine builds. People detail their combo's and dyno numbers if available.
Would be happy to share mine and others would do the same, might be a real help to people looking to build or step up their engines.

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 10:33:40 AM »
Yes, agree with Mario, the 460 forum works quite well. The thing I like about the 460 forum is the today's post tab, which on this forum is similar to the "view the most recent posts" tab. That to me works great because when you start organizing, stuff is all over the place in different sections which is fine, but 99% of the time all I want to do is read the newest posts, the ones I have not read yet. I am glad to see that feature here. The 460 forum has stickys too, which are I think good, but they become bloated. To me a sticky needs to be written by the main man, enter the info and close it, otherwise there's chatting and bs, and it defeats the purpose. If you let's say have a category on rear main seal technique, everyone has their different opinion, with the sticky, the forum head guy could have it set up where he choses the main way, or the top 3 ways or whatever. If in the future someone comes up with more or better info, the sticky can be added to. I've just read this and it looks like a bunch of rambling, so take it for what it's worth, probably not much.

427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 02:50:38 PM »
A SOHC assembly tip section would be nice.

BarryB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 11:53:26 PM »
The sticky's (sp?) do indeed work well. The first one could be, "What does FE stand for?"
1968 428CJ Mustang fastback

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 09:45:25 PM »
That Engine Build and if available Dyno Results/Track Times would be really cool

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 10:25:54 PM »
Pardon me but I can't find a link/click on in this forum to the Technical Archive. Not the end of world as I can make a favorite but there's already a bunch of favorites. Is there a link in the FE Power Forum?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 07:31:17 AM »
Pardon me but I can't find a link/click on in this forum to the Technical Archive. Not the end of world as I can make a favorite but there's already a bunch of favorites. Is there a link in the FE Power Forum?

There's no link yet; you have to go back to fepower.net.  I need to make some changes to this forum, and that is one of them, but I just haven't had the time to do it yet...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

jholmes217

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 03:02:56 PM »
I like Cyclone03's idea, but it could be broken down even further.   So, under assembly and dissassmbly tricks, there could be further sub-catagories, like one for just gaskets and sealers.  Another could be priming an engine before initial start, etc, etc.
Jeff
1969 Mach 1 Q code 428 Cobra Jet
4 speed, 3:50 traction lock
Olympia WA. area

427fan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 04:34:23 PM »
A SOHC assembly tip section would be nice.

This is a great idea, i second it.

cdmbill

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 11:58:04 PM »
One other idea would be a section on home made or other special tools that make working on an FE easier, better or both. Simple as an old distributor body and shaft as a pre-oiler, to how to 'port' a remote oil filter and oil cooler adaptor, up to the fixture Jay made for building his sheet metal/CNC tunnel ram.