Author Topic: Barry R engine masters run now live  (Read 3609 times)

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Barry R engine masters run now live
« on: October 04, 2017, 01:09:39 PM »
Now live on hotrod video. Barry R 447 FE

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Re: Barry R engine masters run now live
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 01:10:16 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/hotrodmag/videos/10154769443477540/

Initial run 549 hp a bit on the fat side jet change time

Painted all corporate blue with 427 cast iron headers. kinda cool

engine hard to crank. pulled out timing

peak 552 hp
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 01:37:34 PM by TimeWarpF100 »

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 03:27:36 PM »
Ran almost exactly what it did at home.
Dyno starter was acting up but we got through it.
Stroker 390 with cast exhaust...

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 03:50:37 PM »
Looks like a stock ford engine :D no xotic stuf exept the heads if
i understand it right     ehmmm long castiron headers kind of exotic
today but....

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 07:47:05 PM »
Just got back in.

The 390 stroker did just fine.

Looking through the nine pulls I made in my 35 minute session, the peak horsepower number was actually in one that I chose not to use in scoring - it made 553.7 HP at 6300 RPM.  The peak torque was recorded on a different pull where it printed a 526.7 lb number at 4400.

As a quick summary, this engine is nearly a crate package.  Flat top 447 with a .040 bore and a 4.250 stroke.  Heads are Survival CNC with a 2.200 valve.  Intake is a Performer RPM.  Carb is a 20 year old 850 vacuum secondary Holley.  Distributor is Ford, Oil pan is Ford C8AX, exhaust is Rod C's 427 cast iron, valve covers, water pump are Ford.  Wires are 7mm repops.  Cam is a genuine Comp 294S flat tappet with 248@.050 and .605 published lift on both sides (not my first choice...).  Zero trick parts.  Zero chrome.  It made more torque and a higher score with headers and a Quick Fuel carb, but it still would not have won, and nobody would have noticed it.  The OEM sleeper look got lots of attention.

On my dyno at home the best numbers I have on the sheets I brought with me were 542.8 HP @ 6300, and 529.4 lbs at 4400.  I seem to remember a 554 HP pull but don't have that sheet with me right now.  But considering how close these numbers are I would say my dyno is pretty dang close to the ones at the school.  That's as close to "proof" as I can provide regarding accuracy of my dyno & test data.

My pulls were all glass smooth at the challenge.  I only heard one engine that displayed a "stair step" sound during its runs.  Kaase thought it might have been tuning related, while another competitor thought it might be related to the inertia factor - a dyno setup function that was not used (set to "1")during the challenge.  In any case it did not affect the standings.  Much better than last year, where we worked through some software challenges.

On the business side of things, the parent company of Hot Rod (TEN) has been acquired by the Discovery group (cable TV folks).  Coming into the contest, there was a good deal of uncertainty about it's future.  The new owners of Hot Rod not knowing where the Challenge fits into the scheme of things, along with some tension between the host school and Hot Rod, seemed to be the source of the problems.  Two key sponsors - Amsoil and the new owners of SuperFlow have both committed to the future.  The video coverage on Facebook was excellent this year with 30 minutes or more dedicated to each entry, and I think the response far outran any expectations.  The short clip of a school student lifting the head off of Kaase's insane MEL was approaching a half million views within a couple days.  I am hopeful that the combination of sponsor support and demonstrated reader interest will help keep this event going forward.

scott foxwell

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 09:02:10 PM »
Not all reactions to Kasse's engine and his performance were very positive.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 06:54:09 AM »
Barry, what did you do with the 294S when you installed it?  Did you crank it way forward?  Any opportunity to lay with lash on either side?

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 08:03:27 AM »
We pulled it forward to 103.5 on a guess - tried to go for power peak before the end of the pull range of 6300.  Seem to have gotten pretty close since we were only gaining ones and twos at the end of most of the pulls.  No time to really try a lot of the little stuff - clock and calendar were against us.  Still ended up with about fifty total pulls and its really, really repeatable and predictable.  I do not think there were ten numbers between all nine hits at the EMC.

Rules called for hydraulic lifters with a minimum of .015 travel, so we set ours up with about .020 and ran it at zero lash cold.  Ends up with maybe .008-.009 when hot plus whatever squish is in the lifters.  Left the beehive spring package on it and once ran it up in RPM by accident once without any sign of distress - had been running Adney's "small block class" engine before and did not reset the RPM band on the dyno - buzzed her up to 6800 and it just rolled off smooth as could be.  Ends up being a real nice combination.

Now that its home I plan on removing/replacing a few high value & borrowed items - the C8AX pan, my L88 850 vac sec carb, the custom made OE ignition, and Rod C's 427 long branch manifolds - and putting this one up for sale.  With a Milodon pan, a normal 780, MSD sparkage, and a set of headers somebody will have a 550+HP street package that has been tested and proven in front of the whole darn world.  Gotta be worth something...

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 08:29:56 AM »
I missed the hyd lifter requirement...sorry about the lash question

Great effort on a budget, and especially with an undesired cam change last minute. 

I wonder what going very early on cam timing would have done to the score?  Likely drive the torque up on the bottom a little, but would pay on peaks I'd think

Good run just the same with an extremely "normal" engine

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 12:46:45 PM »
Congrats Barry on a nice showing!  Somebody's going to get a very good engine  :)
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

Matt Bourgeois

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 06:09:36 PM »
Good job Barry!  Impressive motor.

Matt Bourgeois