Author Topic: Drag Week 2017 pictures..  (Read 6626 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Drag Week 2017 pictures..
« on: September 23, 2017, 10:59:40 PM »
Finally got all my pictures and video downloaded and got registered with Postimage. I'll just post them all here.
I'll warn you that there are a few non-Ford powered cars, but I've included them because they were either extremely impressive and well designed cars, or I just plain liked them.

Here's the rig when we got to the hotel before tech day...

Here's some shots of tech day while waiting in line. The guy with the Falcon was a pretty nice guy and we got to talking while in line. It was his first real racing with the car, which was Hemi powered. Really cool! And stick shifted! We ran across each other throughout the week and got to know each other a bit. He won his class and I was really happy for him.

This Henry J Gasser was pretty cool, and old school. He didn't even use a trailer. Those Gasser guys are pretty nuts if you ask me, but I like 'em..

A shot of me in line, with Jacks Cougar beside in another lane. Than a shot of Richie Cramptons '57, which was one impressively built and designed car. I didn't care that this one was LS powered, it was just a work of art to see.

A couple of nice Fords that caught my attention. The Cougar was a really nice car. Deceptively stock looking until you opened the hood and saw it had a more serious side to it.

Finnegans Blasphemi, which I think is a really cool car. Unfortunately, Roadkill style, the engine was a throw-together and didn't last.

This little Falcon delivery wagon was pretty cool, and Ford powered.

When we got towards the front of the tech line, that's when Freiburger came over and started talking to me about my car. He really liked it, and even thought he kept mentioning the paint and wheels on the live feed, he also liked the fact that it was all old factory iron. In a sea of 8, 9 and 10 second cars though, a car like mine is not very impressive, so I thought it was cool that he took an interest in it.

This Chevy II was really nice. The paint and entire car just glowed and was a really well put together machine. A very nice car.

Alan and I getting ready to head out after the first day of racing at Cordova.

We had been traveling good with this Camaro on the drive to Gateway. They really liked our navigation skills..lol Unfortunately, when I stopped for gas in a small town, they stopped with us and we both noticed his trailer hitch hanging down. It was a single tube sticking out from a cross tube and it had cracked 3/4 of the way around where they were welded together!  They went to look for a local place to weld it and insisted that we head on instead of holding us back, so we did. It was pure luck we stopped when we did, because I don't think he would have made it another mile! Fortunately, they found a small garage right around the corner from the station and got it welded. We saw them throughout the week and I was glad to see they managed to finish.

Various pictures of checkpoints and the next day at Gateway. That's Alan behind me at the 2nd checkpoint. It didn't take him long to pass me with my gearing :P

Here's a couple more pictures of the Mustang meet that I came across the night before Byron. There were only a few older ones, but they were all nice cars. One was a real '64 1/2 car, one was a rarely seen McLaren and there were a few Shelbys and even a newer Boss 302, which are really race cars in street clothes. I had a great time that night.

A few cars in the parking lot the night before we were at Great Lakes. There were 26 in all. This is the night the Aussies were giving the hotel manager a stroke..lol  I like GTO's, and this blue one was nice. And anybody who rides a 1000 miles in a '20s or '30s car or truck earns my respect. They are NOT spacious by any means! The bug was nitrous powered and pretty cool, I thought. It was also a handful for him on the track, that thing was quick! Oh, and a stick shift ;D  He was having some starter issues that day, so I gave him some wire he needed to install his backup starter. It's nice to be able to help people, because there's always a time when you need something small and someone returns the favor. I needed a fuse after shaking my tires bad at Byron, and the guy next to me in the pits just happened to have the exact one that I needed and gave it to me. I couldn't have left without it because I had no brake lights or turn signals. I love the spirit of Drag Week and comradery that goes with it.

Pictures of Great Lakes. Alan and I were together in line and I was really hoping they would separate us to run together. He would have beat me, but I just wanted to run somebody from the forum for the fun of it. That didn't happen though. Instead I raced another GTO, which was a pretty cool car.

Here's a couple of resized shots of Dans really nice Mach 1 with a 445 stroker in it. It's an original S code car and he's got the original engine safely stored at home. I really wish we could have gotten a picture of both our cars together because the paint was almost an identical match between them.

This is a still from video that my wife took when I was next to the GTO. I just thought it turned out pretty well.

Checkpoints back to Cordova and that night in the parking lot. The Camaro was a father/son team from Canada running a twin turbo set-up with an LS. The car ran 8.60s if I remember correctly. They were fun to talk with and really great guys. They were having a blast and had gotten hooked on the event.

The last day at Cordova. Scott and Jacks Cougars parked together. And that's Alan trying to find some shade while waiting in line. The Street machine Eliminators went first on the last day, so class cars had a long wait and it was getting pretty warm out the last couple of days. Shade was a welcomed thing.

Here's another video still of my final run. I just liked the way it turned out with the dark shading.

A couple of pictures after my 2 runs and then getting ready to start loading stuff up. I got a few comments and thumbs up on the truck, which was cool. Nobody had an old hauler that I noticed. Hopefully I'll get around to start the restoration on the truck this winter since I've got everything for it.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 12:06:27 AM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
Re: Drag Week 2017 pictures..
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 11:54:53 PM »
 Very cool Doug. Thanks for sharing. Seeing my all the posts give me an itch too compete in drag week just to see if me and the car could finish.
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 05:57:00 AM »
Great pictures Doug - really appreciate those - and Congrats for another successful Drag Week!

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 06:21:16 AM »
Great pics! Thx.  :)
Bob Maag

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 09:13:31 AM »
Thanks for all the pictures Doug, it hurts a little less that I missed it when I can see all these great photos.  Congratulations on a successful week - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 09:50:14 AM »
Thanks for the pics  Doug. Shade was a welcome thing ??? While i had to fill antifreeze to not crack the block :(
But just rub it in     just rub it in ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

plovett

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 11:05:09 AM »
Great pic's!  Thanks, Doug!

It looks like a great time.   I drove my Cougar down the highway at 3600 rpm for maybe 35 miles about a month ago in 90 degree temps, and I have to say hat's off to you guys doing that for hours, day after day.

It was hilarious with me turning 3600 rpm, doing about 65 mph in the right lane, and everbody zooming by me in econoboxes and SUV's.   

paulie

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 11:14:32 AM by plovett »

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 11:10:47 AM »
Thank you Doug. Really shows us what we're missing.
I need to get the Fairlane done and go.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 12:07:49 PM »
Thanks for the pics  Doug. Shade was a welcome thing ??? While i had to fill antifreeze to not crack the block :(
But just rub it in     just rub it in ;D

Heo, if you didn't live a stones throw from the North Pole, that wouldn't be an issue ;)

It looks like a great time.   I drove my Cougar down the highway at 3600 rpm for maybe 35 miles about a month ago in 90 degree temps, and I have to say hat's off to you guys doing that for hours, day after day.

It was hilarious with me turning 3600 rpm, doing about 65 mph in the right lane, and everbody zooming by me in econoboxes and SUV's.   

paulie

Paulie, I didn't want to run my engine that hard for that long, so it was 3000 rpm @ 55 mph for me. After a few hours of that, your oil is going to get pretty thin, and my rockers let me know that. I think I passed one person the whole week, an old lady in a Buick..lol

Sadly, I didn't win my Gear Vendors overdrive. I told them I wasn't leaving without it, but they kicked me out anyway. I did get a $395 off coupon for one though, so that will hopefully be installed for next time.

Marc, The few pictures that I took just don't do justice to the amount of, and quality of, the cars that were there. I wish I could have taken more, but you just get too busy. I envy Kevin being able to just enjoy the racing and walking around getting to know people and talking to them about their cars. Being that this was my 2nd year, it was even more enjoyable because I knew what to expect, and was able to relax a bit more and get to know some people. That is one of the most enjoyable parts of the whole event.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 12:08:53 PM »
Great pics....Next best thing to being there. Thanks.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 12:39:01 PM »
Thanks for all the pictures Doug, it hurts a little less that I missed it when I can see all these great photos.  Congratulations on a successful week - Jay

Jay, one of the first things I mentioned to Freiburger was that you were unable to make it this year. He was bummed to hear about that and immediately asked if I was a member of the FE forum. I told him there were several of us in the event this year and he mentioned that on occasion through the week. Good publicity  8)
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

plovett

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 02:53:27 PM »

Paulie, I didn't want to run my engine that hard for that long, so it was 3000 rpm @ 55 mph for me. After a few hours of that, your oil is going to get pretty thin, and my rockers let me know that. I think I passed one person the whole week, an old lady in a Buick..lol

Sadly, I didn't win my Gear Vendors overdrive. I told them I wasn't leaving without it, but they kicked me out anyway. I did get a $395 off coupon for one though, so that will hopefully be installed for next time.

Well I believe that about the oil.  I run 15W50 synthetic oil with an oil cooler for just that reason.  I run synthetic fluid and an auxiliary cooler for my C6, too.   And I run with the heater on in the summer, but that's more a radiator capacity issue.   

Gear Vendors overdrives are cool.  I think our cruise rpms are almost identical now.  I run 4.11's with 27" tall tires, but also with a 3600 stall converter. 

A Gear Vendors will help you more than it would me because you have a manual tranny.  I would lose some of the gearing gains because of my torque converter.

Congrat's on your successful trip!

2ndgear

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 07:11:05 PM »
Thanks Doug
It was great seeing you and your wife again and thanks for posting all the pics through out the drag week. Thanks for posting pics. of my car also. Also maybe at Beaver Springs this year we can get pics. of our cars side by side and maybe going down the track together? Take care.

Dan

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 09:48:45 PM »
Great pictures, Doug. I hope to see you and that bad azz Mustang again next year.  :)

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 10:08:54 AM »
This forum needs a like button. Love your truck! Your car is ok too ::)
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac