Author Topic: Day 4 at Great Lakes...  (Read 1857 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Day 4 at Great Lakes...
« on: September 14, 2017, 10:21:23 PM »
First things first, the world needs an LS enema.

Ok, now that that's off my chest, pretty typical day for us today. I don't know if I've mentioned it or not, but my wife came with me on Drag Week this year. Today was her birthday. I wonder how many guys have a wife or girlfriend who would be happy to spend their birthday reading maps, trying to find unmarked roads, loading and unloading a car and riding for hours on end in an old, loud, cramped car. I'm a lucky guy because she's having a great time.

Despite an average time of 12.5 @ 114 today, it was a pretty good day. We had a surprise visit from a forum member, Dan, and his wonderful wife Mary. We made friends with them the last 2 years at the FE R&R. Dan drove his Gulfstream Aqua '69 S code Mustang. It's a beautiful car, and together, our cars could be twins if I had the factory stripes on mine. It was a nice surprise seeing them.

The driver and car were average on the track today, but I think I've learned a few things that may help me move in the right direction. We'll see if I can finally get some improvements tomorrow. I'm going to try to get several runs in so that I can try to sort out the driver issues the car seems to be having..lol

It was great drive today through mostly country highways and medium to smaller towns. Those are the drives I really enjoy, and the overdrive guys don't have a time advantage over me. It doesn't matter to me if I'm on an interstate or highway, my speed limit is 55, same as theirs today. We got to the hotel and I took the wife to dinner at a restaurant for her birthday. We both enjoyed some good food for a change this week!

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow, making some runs...and winning that Gear Vendors overdrive that has my name on it.

Here's a couple shots of Dans beautiful Mach 1. I hope he doesn't mind me posting them.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 10:28:18 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

427Fastback

• View Profile
Re: Day 4 at Great Lakes...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 10:29:11 PM »
Sounds like a good day...My girlfriend cleans my cars for me and will work in the shop with me anytime I ask....Good luck on the gear vendors unit.....
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

sixty3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 08:30:58 AM »
Doug, and all FE guys,

Was at Byron, but never did catch anyone.  Spent most of the time in the stands watching with my nephew who just turned 16 Tue.  Did walk through the pits later on, but assumed you had left.  Maybe next year!  Was there supporting my buddy Don, who's driving a 55 Chevy red/silver. 

Kevin

2ndgear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 07:14:56 AM »
Hi Doug
Hope you win that GV and hope Trish had a great and many more birthdays. It was great as always seeing you and Trish. Hopefully we will see you two at Beaver Springs if I can borrow, beg or steel an enclosed car trailer so I can bring the car. Then we can park the twins next to each other? Because of the fog it was nice of both of you to take a minute to look at my car. It was also great to meet Alan from the forum with his Galaxie. Great job to both of you. Also thanks for posting pic. of the car and no I dont mine at all. See you in April.

Dan and Mary