Author Topic: More disease  (Read 22053 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: More disease
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2018, 04:53:24 PM »
I like it, Marc, that's a great place for those gauges.  Looks kind of covert... ;D
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2018, 06:43:10 PM »
Ok here's a preliminary stab at it. These are the old gauges. Not sure if new ones would be better. I'll have to drive it around and see how it plays with my head.... or not. Of course I had to rewire it as whoever did it before left no extra wire....at all. I bought a sheet of lexan at HD that will work great in replacing the stock plastic face, so that original will go in the parts cabinet.
I think that as the restored dash pieces go back on it will hide the fact that these gauges are not stock. I think it will blend nicely.
Oh also, when I'm sure I want it this way I'll cut the round radio knob surrounds out of there so you can see the gauges better and it will look mo' betta. Don't quite know how I'll extend the fake chrome surround in the bezel face. I may not even try.
Oh also there is a 1/4 20 bolt and nut just hanging out there. It will go away. There is a cover that fit next to the radio and I will find the perfect mounting hardware.

Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2018, 05:03:27 PM »
Made a new "glass" for the dash with a piece of lexan.
Now to figure out what to do with that piece of tin that makes up the black surround.
Have to fix where the radio knobs were and where the radio push buttons came through.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2018, 09:05:52 PM »
I ended up buying some Autometer gauges to replace the old set. The oldies were pretty beat and didn’t light evenly so out they went. Good thing I did, found a problem at the oil filter adapter. The engine has been using a bit more oil than I want it to but most of the engine is pretty dry and it’s not burning it. I knew it was wet down by the adapter but when I got under there close up,,,,, jeeeez. I don’t have any huge puddles in the driveway  so I felt like all was fine. Wrong. I guess it was pushing it out under pressure and just a drip or to in the driveway when it was off.
The reason I was down there is the new gauges have there own senders so I replaced the old ones. Impossible to get the new taller oil sender on without taking the adapter off so I dove under. The damn adapter was maybe a bit more than finger tight. And orange silicone was everywhere. I thought they had just not used a gasket and slather orange crap in there to make a gasket. Worse, there was half a gasket left that they didn’t bother to scrape off then silicone around it.  ??? Not only that, the filter was on so hard that it broke my filter wrench. I had to take off the adapter with the filter still on then put it in my vise and ram a big screwdriver through it. Finally got it off and the filter O ring stuck to the adapter. They didn’t bother to lube the ring.
Anyway I cleaned everything up and put a new gasket on. All is well and the new oil gauge shows more pressure than the old one. Once I get the bezel back from restoration I’ll show you what it looks like with the gauges up there. It’s kinda cool. Oh I did cut off the little circles of black out in the interior tin bezel that covers the speedo and gauges. But I don’t think I’ll try to do any more to it. If I can find another I’ll mess with it more.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 07:12:33 PM by turbohunter »
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2018, 09:39:25 PM »
Nice ???
Judging by the looks of that, you're lucky it never plugged something up internally.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2018, 09:41:04 PM »
Exactly, I pulled some snot out of the passages with a hooked probe.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2018, 07:15:23 PM »
 with the oil filter that tight , what did the drain plug look like ?

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2018, 07:47:15 PM »
Good thought.
If you guys are wondering why I haven’t got to the oil until now. First there’s been plenty to do and the oil was new when I got it. As I had to replace what I was losing the oil stayed clean so I wasn’t worried. Aren’t old cars fun. ;D
BTW my upholstery dude finally finished up a few jobs and called me to bring the front seat in so I’ll be a couple weeks or so without the seat. Gives me a chance to clean up the electric adjust.
My trucks were getting jeoulous anyway.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 07:56:30 PM by turbohunter »
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2018, 07:37:51 PM »
Well after 8 and a half months I finally have my dash back from Just Dashes. They told me going in they have a 6 month turn around. I started calling at 5 months in a nice way. Finally it’s done and it is beautiful so I can’t really bitch. They restored the plastic bezel by totally redoing it including rechroming the plastic and restoring the broken mounting tabs. The dash pad and hood are really works of art. They’re beautiful.
I’ll throw in a few more pics of the floor redo. Oh and Kevin, the carpet company shorted me on the drivers side just like you. I used your same fillin technique.

Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2018, 01:14:41 PM »
Thought you guys would enjoy a look at this.
My magic tailgate window stop going up and down. Took it apart this morning to see what was the matter. The motor drives a worm gear which in turn drives a plastic/nylon gear on a shaft that has an internal triangular chamber. In the chamber it looks like there was another triangle that takes up slack and drives the triangular bottom of the gear that drives the arms that role the window up and down.It looks like the intermediate plastic triangle got eaten up over the years and left its parts all over the insides of the assembly.
I think what I’ll do is head up to my friends shop and make a new intermediate triangle out of metal.
I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2018, 02:00:59 PM »
Thought you guys would enjoy a look at this.
My magic tailgate window stop going up and down. Took it apart this morning to see what was the matter. The motor drives a worm gear which in turn drives a plastic/nylon gear on a shaft that has an internal triangular chamber. In the chamber it looks like there was another triangle that takes up slack and drives the triangular bottom of the gear that drives the arms that role the window up and down.It looks like the intermediate plastic triangle got eaten up over the years and left its parts all over the insides of the assembly.
I think what I’ll do is head up to my friends shop and make a new intermediate triangle out of metal.
I’ll let you know how it turns out.

That is the most common failure of power windows. Motor is fine..everything else is fine, its just the clutching mechanism that goes south. I got some aluminum round stock and whittled out 3 tri-lobe 'cams' using a  hand file replacing the disintegrated nylon pieces.   

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2018, 08:23:09 PM »
Yeah that’s what I figured I would do.
It’s interesting to me that they would build it like that.

Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2018, 03:27:16 PM »
Well it was easier than I thought.
Found the easiest fix for he tailgate window motor.
Jeff’s Bronco Graveyard (and I’m sure others) sells bronco tail gate motor repair kits. The pattern for the mounting bolts are different but the internals are exactly the same. I was easily able to save my gasket and cover so I just installed the new gear prices and it runs like a top.
https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Window-Motor-Replacement-Gear-Repair-Kit/productinfo/24544/

« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 05:24:23 PM by turbohunter »
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428