Author Topic: Day 3 at Byron...  (Read 1443 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Day 3 at Byron...
« on: September 13, 2017, 11:00:20 PM »
Today was typical for me as far as racing goes. My first run wasn't so great. I tried launching the car at 4000 and it spun at first and then shook the tires so hard that it blew my tailight fuse, which I found out by checking the lights right before we left. Enough of that, I didn't want to break anything. That resulted in a 12.8 @ 111.

I wasn't happy with that at all so I headed straight back to the staging lanes. Until I can get my suspension sorted out (being a rookie and having no experience with what to do, I'm still reaching in the dark), I decided to just slip the clutch again. That resulted in another miserable 60' time, but a typical 12.5 @ 114 run. Good enough to call it a day. We packed up, fixed the found fuse problem and headed out on an uneventful, but enjoyable drive to Great Lakes.

We were the first to arrive at our hotel, and it was only about 3:45, so I decided to cheat a bit and aired up my MT ETs and put them on. It's a short 10 mile drive to the strip in the morning and that will save me time to get in line early. I did that at Gateway too. I also ran the valves, and they were fine, so everything seems good at this point. By that time, there were several guys in the parking lot, so I dropped the trailer and we headed to get a bite to eat.

As I was airing up my tires with a small 12 volt air pump, I had the car running so it didn't drain the battery. One of the hotel people came out and asked if I'd be long running my car because it would upset the guests. I told him I was pretty much done, but I had to laugh knowing he had NO idea what he was in for tonight!! As it turns out, 3 of the Aussie cars are here tonight, and if you know anything about those guys, quiet is not a word used in their vocabulary...lol! There are about a dozen cars here, and ALL of them make my car seem like the timid alter boy left alone with the Bishop. I imagine the hotel guy is about to have a nervous breakdown right about now..lmao!!
Another great way to end the day! ;D

Edit: And as I just finished writing that, the Aussie's fired up one of their cars in the parking lot and we're revving it up. I LOVE Drag Week!!...lol

Now there are 23 cars at last count. Obviously we picked the right place.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 11:25:32 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: Day 3 at Byron...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 04:47:53 AM »
Congrats on getting through so far and good luck moving forward.

Hotel guys are fun to mess with.  I remember being at a track near Paris, Texas a long time ago, with some guys that were warming up for a big event the following week.  They were changing engines in an blown alcohol dragster in the hotel parking lot.  Warmed it up right after dinner before heading out in the morning...

Heo

• View Profile
Re: Day 3 at Byron...
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 04:33:47 PM »
Me and the wife got a good laugh out of that Doug ;D ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it