Author Topic: Vaccum and power brakes  (Read 3641 times)

Heo

• View Profile
Vaccum and power brakes
« on: September 04, 2017, 09:09:11 AM »
Any one knows at what vaccum there begins to be problem with
power brakes working? i got 11-12 now and they behave a little bit
strange. Att first the brake pedal is heavy but after a inch or so wham
the booster kicks in with full power so....I dont know if there is some
problem from the car have sat for 10 years or what

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

BruceS

• View Profile
Re: Vaccum and power brakes
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 09:54:01 AM »
Heo, I believe the Ford vacuum spec. is 18 at idle, so at 11-12 you're going to be marginal.  From what you're describing, your booster may be sticking or have a leak.  The car sitting for a long time will sometimes bring those problems on.  I'd check the booster first with a vacuum tester to make sure the diaphragm is still good.  Also could the master cylinder be sticky from sitting?  Just some thoughts.  Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 10:16:26 AM »
I had a Crane fireball 294 in the engine earlier and the booster worked flawlesly
but dont know what vaccum there was with that cam. I dont know the specs for that cam
this one is 282, 236 @ 050 ,571 lift, 110 lobe separation. any one knows if 11-12 vaccum
sounds normal for those specs
I guess anything is possible after 10 years. I sucked in the hose and plugged with the thounge
and seems to hold the vaccum so i think the diaphragm is good....as i remember it there is a
valve that let in atmospheric pressure to the otherside of the diaphragm when you use the brakes
been so long since i had a booster apart. I dont think the master is sticking due to it returns without
problems

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 12:13:43 PM »
Yep, check the booster for cracks in the rubber diaphragm. One way to tell is to plug the intake-to-booster rubber line and then re-check your vacuum.
Bob Maag

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 09:21:15 AM »
Sounds to me like you have something sticking inside the booster. Personally, I think 11-12 inches of vacuum should work ok unless your creeping in traffic. People tend to forget that under any form of deceleration, your vacuum is going to be high, so even marginal vacuum from a big cam should work fine under most road driving conditions. My Mach only has about 6-7 and it works fine with the stock booster unless I'm not using the throttle. In cases where I'm just creeping along in slow traffic, or areas like parking lots or my driveway, where I'm not using the throttle to accelerate and slow down, I can get about 3-4 good stops before the vacuum is gone and the pedal gets hard. I replaced my booster when I restored the car though. An old booster with some vacuum leaks would likely not work as well.

My '70 F350 had great power brakes when I bought it. It sat for about 4-5 years until I got around to changing the engine and getting it road worthy. The first time I went to drive it, I had no power brakes. I wasn't happy about having to buy a new booster and was looking around to find a replacement. I drove the truck a couple more times, hitting the brakes fairly hard at low speeds, when suddenly something inside free'd up and they started working great again. Now it sits inside and gets driven fairly regularly and I have not had a problem since. Been 2 years that way now. Yours sounds similar, like something inside is sticking until enough pressure is applied, then it free's up.

As a cam comparison, the 238/248 114 lsa cam I've used before had similar vacuum as what you have now, so I don't think your vacuum is out of line for that cam. My brakes always worked perfectly with that level of vacuum, but, different cars, different brake system, so it's hard to compare on that level.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 11:04:25 AM »
On the way to tecinspection today the brakes started to work flawless  :D
 I found a cutaway drawing on the booster there is one valve between the
two cambers that close when you apply the brakes and one that opens for
letting in atmospheric pressure to the rear chamber
Think one or both of them  was stuck  and started to work as it should
when it got exercised enough. So clear papers now no more tecinspection.
So now onto building a more free flowing exhaust system and mounting a
power steering box from a Opel Omega, new spring and shocks

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 04:14:30 PM »
Good deal, Heo. Gotta like it when a problem fixes itself!

This happens to me at work sometimes. Guys will come up to me and tell me something is wrong with a piece of equipment, then proceed to show me what's wrong....and suddenly the problem is gone. I tell them "You're welcome", then go mark 2 hours on my day sheet for fixing it. ;)
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 05:54:18 PM »
Yes as long as its not a 57 Plymouth that fixes a lot of problems :o

What mufflers was it you had on the mustang i liked the sound
H or X pipe or separate pipes?

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 11:17:50 PM »
I have Borla Pro XS on both my Mustang and my truck. Both with individual pipes. I don't like the cross-overs simply because it makes it harder to work on stuff. I can pull the trans in my Mustang without even removing the exhaust.

Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 04:23:32 AM »
Ok thanks

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 05:41:45 AM »
Yes, I'd also like an X-pipe crossover but on either of my 'Stangs (1970 & 1988) it would hinder taking out the trans ('70 stick) or even the auto tranny oil pan on the 1988. X's tend to require welding the cross over. H-pipes on the '70 have a slip-fit on the H, allowing an easy dropping of the H for clutch/tranny maintenance.
Bob Maag

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 03:46:14 PM »
Well i hope i dont have to remove the trans that often ;)
But if i build a crossover i build it so its easy to take out without
taking down the whole exhaust.....