Author Topic: Just how lucky can I be??  (Read 6512 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Just how lucky can I be??
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 01:04:36 PM »
Some say CW only affects shifts, but depending on your launch RPM it IS added to the base pressure to affect lock up at launch.  CW also makes it possible to remove pressure at launch just by lowering your RPM at launch.  Say, like a greasy track.  Drop 500 rpm and you instantly remove some clutch. 

More good info. I think I'm getting a pretty good idea as to how the system is designed to work, now to take theory and apply it to real world may be a different story..lol

On the street, with radials is a whole different animal then slicks at the track. 

Beyond the whole staging and lights thing, I found that the biggest thing that threw me off was the helmet. I was so used to hearing my car a certain way, and I could barely hear it with the helmet on. When somebody is next to me with open headers, I couldn't hear my car at all. That's why I took the exhaust off this year for the FE R&R, not for a performance gain, but just so I could hear my car again.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 02:23:51 PM »
Base pressure is set, but CW is exponential and continues to multiply throughout the RPM range.  Thus it does affect launch, depending on your launch RPM.

The higher the CW, the faster it comes on and the MORE it amplifies with RPM increase.  I call it a BELL curve and how much CW you have is how steep the curve is and how fast it adds weight through your RPM range.

If you leave at 2K rpm, then it adds little.  I leave at 5K and it is a much larger addition to my base pressure.  I only shift at 6500, and go through about 6500.  I don't have a wide RPM range for the clutch to do it all correctly.  It's close enough, but I'm still tinkering.  With only after 20 yrs I put a window in my bellhousing so I can get to CW without having to pull everything.
Larry

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 03:47:36 PM »
Base P and CW multiplied by Torque , lol , Had a conversation with Blair P a month or so back about my BBM block and going 427 instead of 482 , my thought was the extra low RPM torque of the 482 is going to reek havoc on my clutch or tires if I do go UMTRA South racing or even street for that matter , less low rpm torque with more upper RPM horse power might be better for my situation , there sure are many things to consider .. A data logger would sure make the tuning curve less steep but there sure is lots of Factors involved on clutch tuning

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 04:57:59 PM »
With only after 20 yrs I put a window in my bellhousing so I can get to CW without having to pull everything.

I'm curious, and I've been wondering, after your helmet 'trouble', you mentioned a particular track being really strict about the rules. How do you get by with your bell being modified (as many guys do)? I'd also assume it's out of date, SFI Spec wise? Do they just overlook that because they know that adjustments are a necessity? I know many guys say they just don't check it, except for maybe in NHRA points programs. I think UMTR is the only program that you run in(?), and I'm sure you don't have the nit-picking that NHRA does, but you still got 'tagged' for your helmet.

I have a spare Lakewood bell that is in really good 'as-made' condition, and after hearing about all the problems with the Quicktime bells, I'd sure prefer to stick to my tried 'n true Lakewoods. I bought it off an NHRA racer after they forced him to change it. I have no plans of running any Stock or SS classes, or any NHRA events, period, so hoping it's a non-issue.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 05:00:24 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 07:59:01 AM »
Eric,  yes it will take more clutch to hold more torque.  CW and RPM help with holding the torque.  If you plan on trying to run drag radials.............good luck!!  I've never heard one good thing about those with a stick car.  Especially if you build a big motor.

Doug.  The helmet was just an out of date thing.  It had to happen sooner or later and Norwalk just happen to be it.  I got to wondering if maybe Beaver had told me back then it was out of date?  I know National Trails missed it and they looked at it.  They are VERY picky.  But typically they don't ask for any SFI stuff from me.  Now I am not that fast, so I'm sure the fast cars are looked at much closer.  I don't sweat it.   Even at the Hot Rod Reunion back in 2006? they didn't ask for SFI information and that guy was THE head honcho for NHRA tech.  The UMTR doesn't do tech, the tracks we race at, do.  Only thing UMTR wants to know is if you have anything electronic in the car.  We don't have much worry about cheaters, the group we have is really nice and diehard old school racers.

Yes, use the Lakewood bell.
Larry

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 08:15:40 AM »
Drag Radials are for street only but thought of driving up to Kilkare and making some easy passes with them just to get a time (MPH) with this motor, I know they won't hook on street at 5000 rpm drop :) but figured if I had a good 1/4 mile MPH reading I could get a idea of what a good pass could be for ET with a good set up , after Data Logging all those years with my kids JR Dragsters it's extremely hard for me to want a make a pass without one

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 09:51:03 AM »
Yes, you can peddle the DR til you get up to about 3rd gear and then use it to get a decent MPH and that can guesstimate a ET from there.  I've done that with my black car with the BFG Radial T/A's.  I've gotten 111 mph out of it, but only 14.0 in the 1/4.   With 111 mph, it should be 12.0's with some traction.
Larry