Author Topic: timing light  (Read 3853 times)

fekbmax

• View Profile
timing light
« on: July 16, 2017, 04:00:09 PM »
so my old antique EQUUS timing light took a dump on me. i borrowed 2 different timing lights, (both in expensive) and both are to sensitive for my MSD . anyone have any suggestions on a reasonably priced timing light that works without issue or am i gonna haveta spring for a $160 - $200 timing light ?
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: timing light
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 04:14:01 PM »
Nope! Have had MSD's on lots of engines over the years. Modern ones really don't work here. Cruise E-Bay, wherever, for one of those old, heavy-chromed bodied, Sears, J.C. Penney or other make that's non-dial back. They work like a champ with MSD's. No foolin!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 05:13:27 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 04:17:08 PM »
Yup, I still have my old Sears timing light, works fine with the MSD. Check your local Craigslist and online auction sites, Sears sold tons of them. MSD used to publish a list of timing lights that worked.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

preaction

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 04:20:30 PM »
My sears model is a dial back and it works well.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 04:53:35 PM »
Thats what my old EQUUS was, one of those old heavy chrome deals. Buddy of mine has a MSD timing light but hes outa town till the 2nd of August  .
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 06:00:34 PM »
Not sure what you mean by the timing light not working I have a digital snap on I guess it's 20 years old but it works fine. Is that not the norm

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 10:24:07 PM »
I bought a cheap Innova electronic light, and I had some doubts about it because every time I check my engine the timing had shifted by 5 to 10 degrees. This was on the old Motorcraft distributor. Had a friend bring over his old Snap-On light and it turned out the timing WAS jumping around. Only issue I had was the Innova had a dial on it so you could set the advance - I assume this is if you had a TDC mark and nothing else so you could dial in 15 degrees advance and when it was showing TDC you were at 15 degrees. The dial kept falling off and when it didn't fall off you had a tendency to accidentally dial in some adjustment. I glued it down to solve both problems.

Then I put on the MSD 6AL box and was told it probably wouldn't work because of the multi spark thing. Seems to have worked fine, right up to the point where the MSD took a dump.

1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 02:05:02 PM »
i have a new light.it has a arrow pointing to the spark plug on the plug wire clamp.be sure to put the clamp on the right direction.i noticed it is real sensitive.very hard to set unless you barely move it.i like it that way though
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 05:11:07 PM »
I bought a cheap Innova electronic light, and I had some doubts about it because every time I check my engine the timing had shifted by 5 to 10 degrees. This was on the old Motorcraft distributor. Had a friend bring over his old Snap-On light and it turned out the timing WAS jumping around. Only issue I had was the Innova had a dial on it so you could set the advance - I assume this is if you had a TDC mark and nothing else so you could dial in 15 degrees advance and when it was showing TDC you were at 15 degrees. The dial kept falling off and when it didn't fall off you had a tendency to accidentally dial in some adjustment. I glued it down to solve both problems.

Then I put on the MSD 6AL box and was told it probably wouldn't work because of the multi spark thing. Seems to have worked fine, right up to the point where the MSD took a dump.
I bought an Innova now says it multispark compatible so lets see if

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 01:30:39 PM »
Keith, have you taken it apart to see if there is anything obviously wrong with it? If you know anyone who messes with electronics, it might be worth taking it to them. It might be a cheap fix.

I have 2 older Sears units, one a standard, one a dial-back, and they both have always worked ok for me. I think it's the newer electronics that are used in them that don't play so well with MSD stuff. Never had any issue with the older ones.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 02:00:10 PM »
I bought a cheap Innova electronic light, and I had some doubts about it because every time I checked my engine the timing had shifted by 5 to 10 degrees. This was on the old Motorcraft distributor. Had a friend bring over his old Snap-On light and it turned out the timing WAS jumping around. Only issue I had was the Innova had a dial on it so you could set the advance - I assume this is if you had a TDC mark and nothing else so you could dial in 15 degrees advance and when it was showing TDC you were at 15 degrees. The dial kept falling off and when it didn't fall off you had a tendency to accidentally dial in some adjustment. I glued it down to solve both problems.

1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 08:48:35 AM »
I use an older C-man dial back.  Supposedly those don't work on high zoot ignitions like the MSD 7AL-3 but I've not had any problems with it.  Except that the harness plug falls out after you get fully contorted over a fender ready to shoot the timing tab.  Dang it!

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 09:13:35 AM »
Duct tape is your pal! LOL
Bob Maag