Author Topic: Need help with crank spacer repair sleeve  (Read 2805 times)

drdano

• View Profile
Need help with crank spacer repair sleeve
« on: June 04, 2012, 09:58:17 AM »
I'm looking for a longer crank repair sleeve (speedi-sleeve) for an FE.  I've got a FelPro 16213 on the crank spacer now and it's not long enough and the outer lip of the crank seal is riding on the edge...and, it killed the front seal and I had the niagra falls of oil out the front of my new engine this week.  :-(  So, to fix that and replace the already leaking 1-3/4 freeze plugs with the correct size the engine was pulled back out this weekend.     

Is there a different sleeve I can use?  The guys at Napa and the local machine shop can't find anything better.  Napa had a sleeve with no rounded rear edge which could be move up to the correct location, but it's only 1/2" wide...not wide enough I think.  Or, should I take a chance at only pounding the new front seal in halfway and hope it doesn't move or hit the oil slinger behind it? 

Joe-jdc

Re: Need help with crank spacer repair sleeve
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 11:46:48 AM »
Are you using a front press-in seal, or a rear press-in seal?  You might want to use a rear press-in seal which should get you more area on the spacer sleeve.  Joe-JDC.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 11:54:41 AM »
You might think about just replacing the crank spacer, either with a good stock one or with an aftermarket version.  I've purchased them before from Doug Garifo at Precision Oil Pumps.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 11:58:42 AM »
Its looking more like a new crank spacer is going to be needed.  Joe, the standard FE crank seal presses in from the rear of the timing cover.  I could press it in halfway, but that doesn't make me feel very confident about it long-term.