Author Topic: NOTE TO blykins AND OTHERS WHO CARE TO LOOK IN:  (Read 12171 times)

cammerfe

• View Profile
NOTE TO blykins AND OTHERS WHO CARE TO LOOK IN:
« on: May 24, 2017, 03:38:07 PM »
Brent, I have massive respect for your engine-building ability and your knowledge in that direction. And I always look eagerly toward what you have to say when it comes to such an area.

I, on the other hand, have built no more than a couple-of-dozen engines in my whole life, for myself, and participated in a few dozen more while helping other people. (That couple-of-dozen includes several flatheads, 'back-when'. One of them powered the family car, and one my '34 Five Window.) You have vastly more engine experience than I do.

On the other hand, I spent time during college working at various tasks at T&C Livonia. At one point I built Torque converters. We were supposed to make 800 per shift and worked seven days a week for several months at a time. Altogether, I probably helped make several hundred thousand. As a curious college kid, I learned all the jobs in the department. And since I was also racing at the time, I got to know many of the engineering folk as well. I learned about torque converters.

Since we last visited the subject, I called several of the manufacturers of performance torque converters. Talking with their tech folk, I asked if the words'stall-converter' were much in use in their facility. Depending on who was on the other end of the line, I got more-or-less polite derision. The words don't seem to appear anywhere in any manufacturer's printed material nor are they in regular use by the personnel.

Talking about a 'stall-converter' is just as incorrect as insisting on always speaking of a 'metallic engine' in the given contexts. The use of 'stall' is just as useless as 'metallic' or insisting on talking about a 'cloth shirt'.

I let your put-down dismissiveness go for the last couple of weeks in order to see if I'd just forget it. I haven't---nor the comments from others. A display of ignorance is never seemly, nor is attempting to poke fun at someone who says, "Hey, wait a minute, guys. That isn't right..."

Ken Sheffer

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: NOTE TO blykins AND OTHERS WHO CARE TO LOOK IN:
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 04:28:52 PM »
Ken,
Much respect to you and your accomplishments.  Same with Mr Lykins.
I don't fully understand anything beyond the basics of convertors and pretty much just call up PTC or Broader for such things.

That said, I'm sure if anyone used the term "stall convertor" it would be a shortened version of "higher stall than stock" and not meant to be a stand alone term with it's own definitive meaning.
I'm sure a professional convertor builder would see the term as an abomination, and I can understand their perspective in that.
To those of us on the outside of such specialized knowledge it would be viewed like that type of person that needs to correct someone for using the term "motor" instead of "engine."  Such corrections are not meant to educate, only to lend a note of condescension to a conversation.  I don't see the benefit of it in the big scheme.
I excel at very few things, but those that I do excel at, I am VERY good with them.  Rule #1 with the gift of such knowledge, always speak to someone as if they know nothing about that subject, until proven otherwise.

Of course, I don't know the "put-down dismissiveness" you speak of (I don't read everything here), so I may be totally off base, and I apologize if I am.  I just felt the need to toss out my 2 cents.

Either way, sorry your feathers got ruffled over whatever this is.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 04:49:46 PM »
A converter's flash point is known as its "stall rpm".  A stall converter is someone who modifies a barn receptacle into a living space for humans.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 04:54:41 PM »
OMG, those are fricking leavers,  not fingers... uggh... LoL.
I'm just poking fun. I don't stress much about this kinda stuff. Generally  i feel like if you are into this world of high performance  then you pretty  much know all the slang's and what people mean.
Motor - engine, stall - loose converter,  finger - leaver pressure plate,  I'm good with all of it. Of course it never hurts to dumb thing's down for those of us that are not the sharpest crayon in the box. (Me).
On a side note, i got to roam around in the GER converter and transmission facilities  back in the 90's. It was very interesting watching converters go together and get tested. Watching transmission's be built and dyno tested. .
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 04:56:33 PM by fekbmax »
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 05:44:31 PM »
Ken, I don't know what to say. 

In the general scheme of things, people learn by example.  That goes for forums or in open public chatting.  I think people would respond to a solid example rather than being called out, like you did the other gentleman in the other post.  Nobody likes to be called out, especially when you're insinuating that they're not "in the know".

Being on this end of the country, I hear everything: "Coma-tick head gaskets", "Eldabrock heads", "Bro-dex heads".  I don't correct them.  It's not that big of a deal and I really don't care.   There is also a bit of slang going on.   When I call up Bill Vinton at Trend to order pushrods, I'll tell him I need a set of push-sticks.  He doesn't correct me.  It's in jest.  In this end of the country, the aforementioned item that's the subject of this thread are often called "high stall converters".  In our dominantly word-lazy country, this is often shortened to "stall converter".   No big deal. 

I don't feel like it's a situation where you need to call someone out and correct them for terminology.  It was kinda condescending and that's what I had the biggest problem with....as some of the other guys.   

Honestly, I wish you would have just told me to go climb a tree, instead of taking a two week hiatus to call every torque converter manufacturer and ask them what they think about the terminology.....

All-in-all, if I hurt your feelings, I apologize and if we ever meet in person, I owe you a cup of java.

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

FElony

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 06:34:29 PM »
I don't know why all you jagoffs aren't discussing Stahl converters. It's a huge brand; half the hot rods on Craigslist have one. But, just try to find their phone number or ordering info... no way, Jose!

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 07:32:14 PM »
I dont see what the difference is call it what you like we know what everyone is talking about. I think we are getting alittle picky on terminology.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 07:39:56 PM »
I don't know why all you jagoffs aren't discussing Stahl converters. It's a huge brand; half the hot rods on Craigslist have one. But, just try to find their phone number or ordering info... no way, Jose!

I once had  a Dodge Cummings with a Stahl Convertor.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:54:34 PM by Drew Pojedinec »

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 09:01:13 PM »
Just go to New England area where everything ends with an "R" sound.  That will really make you cringe............... :o

Life is too short to worry about it.
Larry

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 09:24:43 PM »
Motor - engine,.....

Uh Oh, here comes the 'motor/engine' and the 'automobile/car/horseless carriage' debate  ;D ;D
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 09:37:05 PM »
Seriously?  It was annoying enough when you wouldn't let it go the first time around.  Everyone knows what the term "stall convertor" is referring to, even if it's not technically correct.  Pointing it out just makes you look small, everyone knows that one supercilious douche that just can't let a little error go uncorrected because they get a kick out of pointing out someone else's error.  You're being that guy right now. 

FElony

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 09:55:22 PM »
Seriously?  It was annoying enough when you wouldn't let it go the first time around.  Everyone knows what the term "stall convertor" is referring to, even if it's not technically correct.  Pointing it out just makes you look small, everyone knows that one supercilious douche that just can't let a little error go uncorrected because they get a kick out of pointing out someone else's error.  You're being that guy right now.

Supercilious douche. I love it. FElony's "Harpoon of the Month Award". And quite the deserving target, as exemplified by past posts from "Twisted Panties" Sheffer.

I once had  a Dodge Cummings with a Stahl Convertor.

Was it better than a Coan or and Edge?

....All-in-all, if I hurt your feelings, I apologize and if we ever meet in person, I owe you a cup of java.

Brent, you friggin' beta cuck. Stand your ground and don't ever apologize to Twisted Panties Sheffer.

Uh Oh, here comes the 'motor/engine' and the 'automobile/car/horseless carriage' debate  ;D ;D

Which reminds me. Where do I find parts to rebuild my Fyord windshield wiper engines? Yes, this is a serious question. Kind of. I have 36 of them to do.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 10:47:15 PM »
That's enough, gentlemen...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

FElony

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 11:50:12 PM »
That's enough, gentlemen...

What about my windshield motor parts?

BTW, it's ALWAYS Sheffer that creates the friction. What about giving him some time off for introspection? Hmmm?

Tobbemek

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 05:49:09 AM »
Even her in Sweden most people use stall converter fore a synonym to a converter modified to a  higher  "stall speed"
When i was a 20 year young technicianservice trainee student back in 1978 at B&M Transmission they "slapped" my fingers many times for
using wrong vocabulary or sometimes even  "SWENGLISH " but every one understood the term stall converter.
I think as long as you know what people ar talking about and its not confusing the terminology how things function and the affect of it as  fore example the difference between idle screw , fast idle screw and idle mixture screw ( all of them idle screws right ? ) you don't correct people , its just a thing of politeness