Author Topic: Survival  (Read 6732 times)

hossfish77

• View Profile
Survival
« on: May 11, 2017, 08:52:31 PM »
Would just like people to know that I orderd and paid for, a stroker kit, cam and lifters from Barry on Febuary 17th. I was told it would take 3 to 4 weeks. My order was finally fulfilled yesterday and way to many excuses. Don't want to bad mouth Barry, just want people to expect delays when ordering from Survival Motorsports.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Survival
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 07:36:38 AM »
I think Barry and the rest of the parts vendors are hamstrung by what their suppliers tell them.  I know, for example, that Barry has been having a very hard time getting pistons recently.  As he has explained it to me, the manufacturer will give Barry a date, which he passes along to his customers.  Then, the manufacturer misses the date, and doesn't inform Barry about it.  Might take another 4 weeks or 8 weeks or more for Barry to get the originally promised parts.  Same thing with heads, cranks, etc.  The manufacturers can't keep their promises, and sometimes its not even their fault; Scat was not able to deliver cranks for a long period because of the dockworker's strike on the west coast a while back.  Containers of cranks sitting on the docks, not moving...

For what its worth, I've known Barry a long time and he is one of the people in this business who I prefer to deal with.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

hossfish77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 01:44:40 PM »
I understand that it isn't always the vendors fault, but honesty will go a long ways when talking to customers. I am happy with my stroker kit and am not trying to badmouth Barry. I just think customers should know ahead of time that it could take months to get your order.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 08:25:18 PM »
When I had originally talked to Barry about stroker kit and putting shortblock together he told me that he was extremely busy that he wasnt sure how long it would take . I told him thanks for the heads up Im sending it anyway. Hey I lucked out and it was done in a timely manner but he was honest about the possibility of it taking a long time, like Jay and Brent said they dont want it to take a long time, having my own business for 24 years nobody wants to sit on a car or engine in this case they want to get it in get it done and get paid. ;)

FirstEliminator

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 01:13:29 PM »
With just 3 posts, that's a great way to make an introduction.    For those that operate a specialized service, it would be nice to have several clones to make sure everything gets done the way you'd do it.
Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
North Adams, Massachusetts

70 Cougar XR-7 460 C-6
70 Cougar XR-7 conv 351c 4v FMX
69 Cougar SS 351w AOD
69 Cougar Sunroof Eliminator 351w FMX
69 Cougar XR-7 390 C-6
68 Monterey 390 C-6
68 Monterey conv 390 C-6
64 Montclair Marauder 390 Merc-O
58 Monterey 383 Merc-O
58 Parklane 430 MultiDrive
68 Colony Park 428 C-6
68 Colony Park 390 C-6
58 Parklane 430 MultiDrive
70 Cougar Eliminator 351c 4 speed
I don't feel like a hoarder.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 09:34:23 AM »
   I helped Barry with the dished piston shortage he was having with another manufacturer. January through May are THE busiest times in the aftermarket engine parts industry. "Everybody" is trying to go racing as soon as the weather changes. No excuses , just reality. June through October is when lead times best match customers demands.

482supersnake

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 06:55:37 PM »
I think Barry and the rest of the parts vendors are hamstrung by what their suppliers tell them.  I know, for example, that Barry has been having a very hard time getting pistons recently.  As he has explained it to me, the manufacturer will give Barry a date, which he passes along to his customers.  Then, the manufacturer misses the date, and doesn't inform Barry about it.  Might take another 4 weeks or 8 weeks or more for Barry to get the originally promised parts.  Same thing with heads, cranks, etc.  The manufacturers can't keep their promises, and sometimes its not even their fault; Scat was not able to deliver cranks for a long period because of the dockworker's strike on the west coast a while back.  Containers of cranks sitting on the docks, not moving...

For what its worth, I've known Barry a long time and he is one of the people in this business who I prefer to deal with.

Dang, if I had know that I would have drove down the hill to the port and picked a few up. ;D

hossfish77

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 06:23:38 PM »
I regret posting this. Please delete!

HvyFt4spd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 12:10:23 PM »
 I'm aware this is an old thread but looking at it and the other Survival complaint here I have to ask what good is this section if a person can not leave honest feedback?  I understand parts issues, impatient customers and the busy time of year in the auto industry being I run a custom chassis/sheetmetal shop. Look at all of the complaints on the old FE Ford forum, with such a number at least some of them have to be legitimate accounts.

Jay, consider your contacts, your FE website, and from meeting you all of once I can't hear your name without thinking damn what a nice guy. Lol Barry would be an outright fool not to drop everything and fill your orders, us little guys not so much...

For the record I like Barry and generally think he intends to do the right thing by people. Fact is he needs to be more realistic in the work he takes in and the promises he makes to customers.  I am a Survival customer and have had good and bad dealings with him just like any other person. Anyone interested I'd glad to share what Mr EMC sent me for $3k and just as fairly all my good experiences. That is the whole point of feedback, so next guy can make his choice and hopefully for the seller to improve his efforts. Fact is that good rep guy can still have a bad day or be too busy to send the quality you were willing to pay for. Somethings are a misunderstanding between two parties,  some not so much. Either way actual customers should be able to post a bad experience without friendships or a guy's hero status on the forum clouding that.

Dan Adams Akron/Louisville Ohio, 32bantam/HvyFt4spd