Author Topic: Centrifugal supercharger setup  (Read 8743 times)

TX69F100

• View Profile
Centrifugal supercharger setup
« on: April 21, 2011, 10:14:11 AM »
I'm seriously considering the idea of mounting a centrifugal blower to the 390 in my '69 F100.  I'm thinking something in the 5-6psi range.  I know that this is a bit of an open-ended question, but, what could one expect power-wise (is 600HP achievable)?  What are some suggestions from the experts out there?

This is a 10:1 motor with forged pistons and h-beam rods, stock crank.  Eddy RPM intake/heads (port matched).  I realize I would need a blow-through prepped carb and a boost-referenced regulated return fuel system.  It seems that I would need to fab up my own mounting bracketry (unless there is a product out there I am unaware of). 

What route would you take?  What power levels can a standard 390 block handle and live? 

Lots of questions, I know, but just wanting to stay grounded with my "dreams" of making bigger power. 
Brent
1969 F100 390/C6

plovett

Re: Centrifugal supercharger setup
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 11:25:47 AM »
Sure, it's doable.   With 10:1 compression you'll probably want an intercooler even with only 6 psi boost.   If not an intercooler then maybe a boost referenced ignition that retards timing under boost.

I'm just taking a guess at the numbers here, but with 6 pounds boost you might gain 32% power.  With 6 pounds and intercooling you might gain 38%.   So working backwards from 600 hp with no intercooler, you'd need around 455 hp naturally aspirated.   Or 600 hp with an intercooler, you'd need around 435 hp naturally aspirated.   That's doable with a 390 and decent heads.

I'd guess a 390 block will live at 600 hp for some time, especially since the blower will allow it to make the power at a lower rpm.  If it were me I'd do a partial fill of Hardblok on the block.  Stud the bottom end or crossbolt it if you want to get fancy.

Here's a guy selling just such setup.   I don't think he'll mind me posting his email and ad.  I don't know him so this is just FYI.

"I'm located in Albuquerque, NM. 

If I part with the supercharger, I would like to sell it as a complete package.  It's not show quality, it's been used and regularly maintained in a '72 F100. 

When I bought it, I paid a little more than $2K for it. Total cost with the Holley and materials for the setup came to a little more than $3K. 

The complete package includes:
1. SN93
2. Mounting bracket (will not work with a power steering setup).
3. 2 pulleys, 5 psi and 7 psi respectively.
4. Blow thru carb hat.
5. Holley 650 cfm double pumper, with extra jets.

sean.brady.ucr@gmail.com"

Anyway, those were just some thoughts.

paulie

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 07:04:42 PM »
I think 600 HP should be no problem, but I'd be leery of running your 10:1 compression ratio with a carbed setup.  Lower compression pistons, or heads with a larger combustion chamber to get your compression ratio down to 8.5:1 or so would make for a safer tune up.  Normally running 10:1 on a blower motor will require pretty good fuel and timing management, and that is a lot easier to achieve with an EFI system that has an injector at each port and control over the timing system vs. boost.

600 HP is about the limit of a 390 block without going to cross bolts or some kind of girdle setup.  I would say if you built a good 400-425 HP 390 and put 6-7 pounds of boost into it, you'd make pretty close to 600 HP.

When I did the centrifugal supercharger setup on my Mach 1 I started out with a Vortech V7 kit for a big block Chevrolet.  I had to make my own mounting brackets and some pulley adapters, and ended up spinning it way up to get to around 17 pounds of boost, but as the kit is delivered it is designed to deliver around 7 pounds of boost, and would be just about right for your purposes. 

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=158

Figure on fabricating some brackets to mount the supercharger and the crank pulley, and either buying or building a blow through carb.  On theturboforums.com site, there is some information about modifying a standard Holley carb to work in a blow through application.

Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

TX69F100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 11:17:41 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys.

I would like to eventially go to an EFI setup, but I'm thinking of taking this in phases and starting with a carb.

Jay, any chance you snapped some photos while fabbing up your setup?

-Brent
Brent
1969 F100 390/C6

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 11:52:23 PM »
Here's some photos of the setup currently on my Mach 1.  They are not the greatest shots, but maybe they'll help.  The chrome plate that bolts to the supercharger is steel, and behind it (but not too visible in the photos) is an aluminum bracket that bolts between the chrome steel plate and the cylinder head and the water pump.  The aluminum bracket is basically just four long stand-offs, probably 1" in diameter with 3/8" holes through the middle, with plates welded between the standoffs to turn them into one assembly.  I put the whole thing together on a dummy block with just the standoffs and the long bolts, and then cut the aluminum pieces to fit between the standoffs and welded them into place while everything was assembled.  This could have been done with steel too, aluminum was not really required.

The other piece that was required was the aluminum donut shown in the photos with the supercharger pulley.  This bolts to the front of the harmonic balancer, and the bolts are countersunk into the donut.  The donut is also drilled with the pattern required for the supercharger pulley.

Hope this helps - Jay

Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

TX69F100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 10:02:08 AM »
Very helpful indeed.

Thanks!
Brent
1969 F100 390/C6