Author Topic: Heli coil or time sert on Harley exhaust stud. Sorry off base a little.  (Read 1794 times)

2ndgear

• View Profile
What I have is a shovel head harley with the 5/16 exhaust stud hole stripped out. I believe there is enough material there to install a heli coil but not sure if a time sert would work do to maybe not enough material there to drill and tap. I know a key sert is to big on the OD to work. My question is what is the out side diameter of the drill for the time sert. Or is there any thing else that would work? Thanks in advance.

GJCAT427

• View Profile
Frt or rear head? I found that the best way is to get it TIG welded and redrill and tap or add a time sert. It can be bilt up on the outer edge to avoid being too thin. I own 2 shovels so experience counts!

2ndgear

• View Profile
Thanks GJCAT427

It is the front head. I plan on putting a few a few passes over the out side of the exhaust port. I am going to do the front and the rear head at the same time. This is on a 1979 lowrider and I do have enough room to do it with the heads on the bike. Where is a good place to buy the time serts. I feel they will do a much better and stronger job then the heli coils will. Thanks

gtxpress

• View Profile
They have a Web site...  http://www.timesert.com   they have various lengths and also oversize serts , plus kits.  Nearly all the product links redirect to amazon for purchase.   Good stuff!