Author Topic: Propane  (Read 7171 times)

Chad D

• View Profile
Propane
« on: May 25, 2012, 12:16:24 PM »
I'm interested in it for a few reasons:  it stores indefinitely, it burns cleanly, it's pretty cheap, and it's got a high resistance to detonation so I can bump the CR on a purpose built engine.  CNG is another less desirable choice, but availability around here is limited to two fueling stations in the whole state unless I want to build a home filling station for a few thousand bucks.

I know there are a few stumbling blocks, like startup enrichment, low ambient temperature operation, and lower energy density.  I'm hoping a flexible SFI unit can deal with most of this.  FAST has hinted at plans for propane with it's XFI line, but since I've pestered them, have received nothing but a 'look for an announcement soon'.

Has anyone experimented with or used propane long term, carb or EFI?

Marx427

• View Profile
Re: Propane
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 07:36:56 PM »
Well Chad, I for one would have liked to have heard some replies to your post......I guess no one has any experience with propane.
1965 427 Galaxie 500 (Clone) 468ci 4 Speed

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 08:19:47 PM »
back in the early 80's we used to work on some motor homes that had propane , the owners loved it   .... early 80's was the worst era for gasoline here , 413 Chrysler were the engines in the motorhomes but we never worked on the propane system so I can't tell you anything about that

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
I ran propane on my amc 401 jeep.... It ran awesome !! I could idle it down real far and it would not kill, Starting was better than gas... I ran more comp and more advance .. you can also keep running if you stand it up !!!! lol ..... ;D

country63sedan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 08:51:45 AM »
Hey Chad.  Both forklifts at work are propane powered (carbed) and other than an oil change once in awhile, I've never worked on them.  A customer had a pickup and trailer in the shop for a DOT inspection and it was a new Ford on CNG. I glanced under the hood as I was walking by and didn't see anything that looked unusual for a new engine bay.
    I've been interested in propane too, but haven't been committed enough to do much research. I know it's got high octane and keeps the engine very clean. I also know the forklift sputters one time before it leaves you stranded, but you'll still have the gasoline tank.  Let us know what you come up with.     Later, Travis

Marx427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 10:50:12 AM »
Ive seen propane components for sale on ebay.......4 barrel regulators that put out 450 cfm is the biggest Ive seen but they also sell adapters to run 2 on a 4 barrel manifold.......so I guess you could run 4 on a 2x4 intake.   I checked out their online store and found the prices quite reasonable until you get to the fuel tanks..........that's where it can get expensive.
1965 427 Galaxie 500 (Clone) 468ci 4 Speed

Chad D

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 02:00:02 PM »
Ive seen propane components for sale on ebay.......4 barrel regulators that put out 450 cfm is the biggest Ive seen but they also sell adapters to run 2 on a 4 barrel manifold.......so I guess you could run 4 on a 2x4 intake.   I checked out their online store and found the prices quite reasonable until you get to the fuel tanks..........that's where it can get expensive.

I'm focusing on injected LPG.  If I'm going to go to all the trouble, I'm going to make it worthwhile from a performance and economy perspective also.  The tank does seem to be quite a stumbling block, but there are places that will fab them.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 02:34:20 PM »
Long ago and far away......hey wait! LOL!

In the 70's and early 80's propane took off as the 1st gas crisis hit and horror's (!)  gas went to a whopping $1.00 per gallon.

IIRC it was Ford fan/racer Ak Miller that did a lot of propane work among others. Never fooled with it myself but folks that did reported that oil contamination was zero after thousands of miles.  Others used off-the-shelf high compression pistons and picked up lots of hp due to no detonation. A neat fuel for sure.

On edit: found lots of Ak Miller stuff via Google

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-460.html

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 06:04:22 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 05:08:17 PM »
In '68, I was newly back at T&C Livonia after graduating with an AB in Chemistry. I was in a Grad Trainee program with Quality Control and pulled a six-month stint of acting as a tech on the C-6 test stands. There were a couple of dozen of them in two rows backed up to a central engine room. The engines were all 428s and were run on propane---or one of the other propane-series natural gasses. Each of the otherwise-about-stock engines had the gas-regulator on top where the carb should have been. Otherwise they had CJ internals and some one of the factory solid cams and also CJ exhaust manifolds. There was one full-time guy responsible for keeping everything running. Everything said above regarding clean-running and anti-knock seemed to be true.

KS

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 11:24:28 PM »
My Roller Cam 428 came from a 1970 Custom PI that ran on propane! No joke! The crank is still std/std. Wish I had the setup for it still.....
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
Hillside Auto- Custom Curved, Blueprinted Distributors
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
Hillside Auto- Custom Curved, Blueprinted Distributors
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's