Author Topic: Update on things you see when you hang around hot rod shops  (Read 12006 times)

Lenz

• View Profile
Re: Update on things you see when you hang around hot rod shops
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2017, 06:23:17 AM »
That does look sanitary!  Liked the car when you first posted the photos a while back.  Wonder if they intend to update the brakes, likely making a bit more power than whatever lurked there before-
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2017, 08:52:21 AM »
Yeah that mc looks a little out of place now.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2017, 10:59:32 AM »
The M/C looks ancient but they did install a new brake lite switch!   ::)
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2017, 12:09:39 PM »
The M/C looks ancient but they did install a new brake lite switch!   ::)
LOL
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2018, 06:44:13 PM »
Something you don't see everyday.
Mr. Pink is getting these polished.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 06:46:19 PM by turbohunter »
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2018, 04:32:16 PM »
Speaking of old FEs dying.
Some of you may remember a few years ago I posted on the old forum (and maybe here) about a guy that I met that collects (hoards) FE stuff like there is no tomorrow. The guy is a wealth of knowledge.
Says he used to work at Ford and I believe him. He seems pretty lonely and needs to talk so I let him.
I can't believe the amount of FE stuff around. Some may think it's a crime to let this stuff just sit and rot and I can sympathize with that view. But the stuff makes him happy. It's what he lives for. So as I've built a relationship with him I've come to see it as a museum for those that can see the beauty there. Believe me I would love nothing better than to take a car or two off his hands but it would rip his guts out. He thinks he's going to get all of them back on the road and get the place cleaned up. I hope he does but know he won't. Thought I'd share a few pictures.

Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2018, 05:03:31 PM »
I don't know what to say. Just wow, and yet somehow I approve.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2018, 05:10:45 PM »
There's tons of this stuff still around, always has been. I never believed people even years ago who said all this stuff had been used up and scrapped. People always knew this stuff was special and tried to save it. Not always in big groups like your friends, sometimes just a piece or two in someone's garage or basement. It's of course sad when stuff that was once usable becomes too far gone due to poor storage though. Bits and pieces of rare cars end up getting scattered around and lost too. A little bit every year gets lost to some natural disaster also. Another sad fate is when the owner doesn't take advantage of getting this stuff new homes before they pass, and the family either junks it, or doesn't distribute it the way owner would have - maybe to car buddies who could do something with it. Something to think of though is our friends get older too, and aren't always able to deal with helping our families dispose of our stuff for us after we are gone.

One thing I would tell you, since you've gained some trust, is try to at least document the VIN's of the cars for the future, just in case something happens to them. I wish I had keep track of more of the stuff I found 30-40 years ago when I was scrounging. I'm sure you're a good friend Marc, just giving him someone to talk about this stuff with.

I love the GTE Cougar, it would be cool to see that running again. I had a chance for one about 35 years ago, but passed on it due to it having some damage and being non-running, just something I didn't have a way of dealing with at the time. You should help him get the wagon running too, then he could join our mid-sixties wagon owners club lol.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2018, 05:21:03 PM »
Yeah the wagon would be great to get running. As you surmised Kevin it's a Q. It also has no rust and is pristine under that garbage and dust. Interior is perfect.
The GTE is just to beautiful to even hope for. I did check underneath to see that it is up in the air on the wheels so hopefully rust won't be to bad.
BTW I can't impress upon you how much stuff there is. I've counted at least 15 427 blocks, 10 or 12 428s and what I didn't get a picture of was the shelves of aluminum Ford intakes.
I feel kinda bad about scheming to get stuff for myself so for my peace of mind I'm gonna lay off that. But I would like to document the vins. But with all the crud around it would be a job to get to them. I tried a little bit today. It's going to take boots and gloves.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 05:23:48 PM by turbohunter »
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2018, 06:00:18 PM »
Wow.  In my view a lot of what's pictured is more valuable just because of the original quasi-neglected condition.  It's probably a good thing that I live in the rust belt or I could accidentally stumble across something like this.  Then again, if you grab up a lot more than you can use you're just moving the pile forward.  I like the notion of him believing he'll get it going again and that this stuff is a part of who he is.  Hopefully when sale time comes the right people get their shot at it.
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2018, 06:16:43 PM »
You know Len that's an interesting idea. 'Quasi-neglected" condition.
It would be neat to just get the cougar running and leave its patina making all the running gear perfect.
I remember forum member hvywrench has a '64 427 Galaxie that is one of the coolest cars I've ever seen.
https://vimeo.com/20017992
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2018, 06:18:13 PM »
BTW
I've never seen a B scratch block before.
Hope someone comments.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2018, 08:53:14 PM »
Perhaps if you helped or offered to straighten things up he'd be  be receptive to selling some parts!
Bob Maag

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2018, 10:16:56 PM »
Already planning on it Bob. Maybe if I can help him get just one car going (or at least able to work on it) it might help him focus. Have to be careful though don't want to cross any unforeseen lines.
As far as selling parts, I told him of my wagon and I might need a block. He was kind of enthused about finding the right one. Again though I have to be careful. He's a hoarder and things are worth a lot to him.
I think I may just try to help him and not expect anything in return.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2018, 12:06:40 AM »
BTW
I've never seen a B scratch block before.
Hope someone comments.

I did a quick search on the old FE Forum using "B Scratch" and got a match on a couple threads. A few people reported having 427 Center Oilers with the C5AE-A casting number and date codes of 5Bxx ( Feb '65 ) that had a "B" scratch on the back. So it appears to be a thing. Sadly the pictures are gone. Network 54 has been acting up recently, it will be sad if it all disappears some day, along with all that info.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V