Author Topic: Aluminum vs Cast Iron Noise Levels  (Read 14174 times)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Aluminum vs Cast Iron Noise Levels
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2017, 10:12:35 PM »
Everyone is still learning....
I just tend to learn on much less exciting engines than a 482!
Happy you got on top of it.

unclewill

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2017, 09:31:30 AM »
Holy guacamole!  :o
I have never driven a car that moves like this one!  Tires are struggling to put the power down in FOURTH GEAR!  I haven't even run it past 4500 rpm yet, nor have I "punched it."  Just roll ons to 7/8 throttle and short shift.
The EFI is simply amazing, the 482 has unreal amounts of torque, anyone debating a stroker crank vs. stock just do it!
All the lifter troubleshooting was totally worth it.  I'm speechless...
1969 Ford Cobra, 482 side oiler, BBM aluminum heads, FiTech EFI, Edelbrock 7105, Comp 292H, CR 4 speed, 9", 3.50

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2017, 09:42:40 AM »
>Verify oil flow through all galleries prior to assembly.  Do not assume a hydraulic lifter block is still set up for hydraulic lifters!

Always.  Had to mod the solid rollers I used in the dragster 351C, no oiling to the top end.  Always check.  And these days, I run rollers or wait until I can afford a roller, done with the flat tappet stuff. 

Sounds like you're having fun now thats for sure!

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2017, 11:57:36 AM »
This is probably something you're very well aware of, and so it doesn't need saying, but very overpowered cars are quite prone to oversteer and consequently backing into something at speed. I well remember the 'heart-in-mouth of a partial spin many years ago, and the helpless feeling of having lost control. In short order it'll be old hat to you, but while getting used to things...

KS

unclewill

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2017, 01:54:32 PM »
I would call it "hilariously overpowered"   ;D
Before I get on it, I always make sure I'm pointed in a straight line.  Out here it's all about passing power on two lanes anyway.  I'm breaking in slowly just like the engine.  The sound it makes is intoxicating!
1969 Ford Cobra, 482 side oiler, BBM aluminum heads, FiTech EFI, Edelbrock 7105, Comp 292H, CR 4 speed, 9", 3.50