Author Topic: New carburetor gadget  (Read 3272 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
New carburetor gadget
« on: January 26, 2017, 11:37:45 PM »
I saw this on facebook. It is supposed to improve throttle response by increasing the fuel atomization coming out of the squirters.
I guess it's cheap enough that if it didn't work you wouldn't feel too bad. What do you guys think?

http://www.thompsonperformance.com/home.html

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: New carburetor gadget
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 12:14:53 AM »
JMO---

Anything that can be made from a tin can with a pair of snips and the punch on your jack knife shouldn't cost $50 or more.

KS

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 05:13:09 AM »
Well.....the idea as such may be true but. The TV shop like ad ....only
thing that's missing is...Only 47 left, hurry up and buy  40$now... ooorr just
1$ a month for 60 months, makes me sceptical
And almost 2 sec improvement  0-50 mph.  Naaaahhh ..
Snake oil salesman is whats came to my mind, But 40$ to
test it wont brake your bank

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 06:43:57 AM »
 I say snake oil as well. But, Alan should do our investigating and report back. Hey, it's his money, right?  ;) ;) ;) ;)
Bob Maag

chris401

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 08:12:45 AM »
I saw this on facebook. It is supposed to improve throttle response by increasing the fuel atomization coming out of the squirters.
I guess it's cheap enough that if it didn't work you wouldn't feel too bad. What do you guys think?

http://www.thompsonperformance.com/home.html
The theory is sound and you can't go wrong with a Megadeth riff. I will probably buy one once for my next engine.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 08:14:51 AM by chris401 »

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 09:25:10 AM »
I wonder how many people will drop the squirter screw down the carb? I call bs on this one.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 10:07:10 AM »
JMO---
Anything that can be made from a tin can with a pair of snips and the punch on your jack knife shouldn't cost $50 or more.
KS

That is what I said when I first saw it.
I do question its usefulness, a video ABOVE the butterflies doesn't properly show what is going on in the intake manifold under vacuum.  Seems if your vehicle is bogging due to excessive pump shot, the carb is simply tuned badly.

chris401

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 11:40:11 AM »
I do question its usefulness, a video ABOVE the butterflies doesn't properly show what is going on in the intake manifold under vacuum.  Seems if your vehicle is bogging due to excessive pump shot, the carb is simply tuned badly.
That is what I was thinking but beyond any potential hype or intentional staged delay you can't go wrong with fuel starting out as a mist. I have a 68 Thunderbird Motorcraft that has an even fan pattern on the pump shot. Whether it was Ford engineered or previous owner modified it I don't know. Smother out of the box than what I expected.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 02:20:05 PM »
bout two days after I took delivery of my new '65 1/2 Mustang with 'K' engine, I bought a little gizmo that made the secondaries mechanical. It was a little, stamped, part and depending on where you placed the little roll-pin also supplied in the bag, you could tailor the secondaries to either come in '1 on 1' or have the primaries almost open before the other two started. I played with it and finally set it so the primaries were almost fully in use before the back two. I got mildly better highway gas mileage that way.

It cost about $1.50 and, including the roll-pin, was a bit more complex that the above baffle gizmo. Of course, that was 50 years ago. But even allowing for devaluation of the dollar...

KS

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 12:28:34 PM »
On Holley's the pump shot is aimed - in the stock configuration - to hit the boosters and break up the stream.  Seems to work well enough.  Only thing the plate does is break the stream up closer to the squirters.  For half price you can get a Holly shooter with tubes that probably works as well or better than the bitty sheet metal gizmo

https://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/holley-accelerator-pump-discharge-nozzles?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Default&N=4294949375

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-121-31/overview/

I like the dyno graphs - nice touch.  On a dyno, you load the engine to WOT then let the dyno ramp up the RPM.  So pump shot is long gone before the dyno starts working the engine.  Pump shot has no effect on a dyno pull.  Unless the little plate is creating a venturi effect and pulling extra fuel out the shooters.  Then it's just throwing the fuel curve off and if power picks up, the carb was already calibrated lean.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:32:58 PM by Falcon67 »