Author Topic: Roadkill Zip-Tie Drags  (Read 4943 times)

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Roadkill Zip-Tie Drags
« on: January 09, 2017, 02:34:45 PM »
Is anybody here planning on going to the first RoadKill Zip-Tie Drags in Tuscon this coming weekend? Hot Rod & RoadKill are planning a road trip cruise from California to Tuscon also. I saw this morning RoadKill says they have over 170 people pre-registered so far. If anyone goes give us a report on any Ford powered vehicles that show up.

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

ericwevans

• View Profile
Re: Roadkill Zip-Tie Drags
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 11:53:20 PM »
I was planning on going but I'm not sure my schedule will work.  If I go I'll get pics of the FE and Ford stuff I find.
Eric Evans

1965 F-100, 352 FE, Tremec 3550
1960 Falcon, 306 SBF

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 12:47:04 PM »
The RoadKill folks and all the people doing the roadtrip from Calif. to Tucson are on their way. RoadKill has had a few live videos on Facebook already this morning as everyone got together. I'm guessing there will continue to be updates all day and all weekend. I know not everyone is on or wants to do Facebook, if anyone spots another link outside Facebook please post it up. They have quite a big group gathered already in California, it looks like the event might be a success, even though the weather is a little iffy. Freiburger did a call out, looks like quite a few participants from the Pacific Northwest area too.
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 04:11:40 PM »
I've spotted quite a few Fords participating, although I haven't seen any FE's yet. Forgive the photo's, I just grabbed a few screen shots from Elana's Facebook live posts. They had rain leaving L.A. this morning, report of one Gasser style car running on slicks rolling over, which is unfortunate, but sounds like everyone is ok. They've reached the lunch stop in Blythe, Calif. and the sun is out now.

This is Emily, who apparently has her own Facebook car page, something like "In The Shop with Emily"? Anyone have a link? She's doing the event and posting about it.

Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 12:27:59 PM »
There were pictures on the internet yesterday of the Rambler Gasser style vehicle that rolled on the road trip Friday. Roadkill had taken quite a few pictures of the car earlier before the mishap. I've never been much of a fan of the gasser thing myself, but I get it. Apparently a high center of gravity and cheater slicks in the rain are not a good combination though, just FYI. Roadkill had some live posts at the track yesterday, I haven't had a chance to watch them yet.

Before:

After:

Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

FElony

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 07:45:02 PM »
I hope everyone in the car was OK. Where do you and Eric Evans live?

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 08:56:40 PM »
I'm in Minnesota, although I visit Arizona periodically. I've just been following Roadkill's posts on Facebook. I knew we had a few forum members down there.
Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

FElony

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 10:32:21 PM »
I'm in Minnesota, although I visit Arizona periodically. I've just been following Roadkill's posts on Facebook. I knew we had a few forum members down there.

Aha! A snowbird.

I occasionally wonder what kind of reaction Frieberger, Finnegan, and Dulcich would have after a walkabout over here. Then I remember they are not Ford friendly. [shrugs]

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 09:21:17 AM »
Frieburger not Ford friendly? LOL. Dave likes ALL makes of cars. Have you ever heard him talk to Jay, or about Jay's Cammers?

FElony

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 06:05:26 PM »
Frieburger not Ford friendly? LOL. Dave likes ALL makes of cars. Have you ever heard him talk to Jay, or about Jay's Cammers?

Jay's cars and cammers are anomalies in the overall Ford end of the hobby. They make for good video and print because you don't see that stuff every day. I've watched every episode of Roadkill (good and bad) and I can recall several little anti-Ford remarks from both of them. They made a big deal out of buying that blue Galaxie wagon for future hijinks, and then sold it off. The Ranchero is rusting away somewhere. The Cougar that they did horrible job with the 351C is likewise stillborn and neglected on Dulcich's property.

They make a big deal out of some of the absolute garbage that some of these sketchy sellers have, as if overpaying for junk is cool if the guy you're paying has worn the same t-shirt every day for the last five years. When they do find cool junk like Stubby Bob, they go ahead and dump in the predictable Schivvy engine.

At some point Dave had 36 or so vehicles to his name. AFAIK, none were Fords. At least I have two Mopars and two Oldses.

Butt, I digress. Not a one of that group would know what they were looking at here, and it's probably best that they don't go spewing my whereabouts on confounded social media. I spend too much time cutting up trespassers as it is.

ericwevans

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 09:49:07 PM »
I hope everyone in the car was OK. Where do you and Eric Evans live?

I'm in Tempe (Phoenix) Arizona.  Really wanted to make it but family obligations got in the way. 
Eric Evans

1960 Falcon, 306 SBF

ericwevans

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 10:04:38 PM »
FElony:  I feel Roadkill is the best thing on TV right now but I totally agree.  They build the Ranchero and really put no extra effort into it aside from lettering and deride it as allow and garbage, then on RK Garage they build an absolute beater Chevelle and act like it is gold.  Still love the shows, but you can't make on the order of 80 episodes between them, have 4 Fits and none of them "done" and not say that there isn't bias.   

Sorry, just had to agree and add to the rant.  :-p
Eric Evans

1960 Falcon, 306 SBF

ericwevans

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 10:07:04 PM »
FElony:  I feel Roadkill is the best thing on TV right now but I totally agree.  They build the Ranchero and really put no extra effort into it aside from lettering and deride it as allow and garbage, then on RK Garage they build an absolute beater Chevelle and act like it is gold.  Still love the shows, but you can't make on the order of 80 episodes between them, have 4 Fits and none of them "done" and not say that there isn't bias.   

Oh the swipe typos...

"Deride it as slow and garbage"

"Have 4 Fords and none of them done"
Eric Evans

1960 Falcon, 306 SBF

FElony

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 10:07:33 PM »
FElony:  I feel Roadkill is the best thing on TV right now but I totally agree.  They build the Ranchero and really put no extra effort into it aside from lettering and deride it as slow and garbage, then on RK Garage they build an absolute beater Chevelle and act like it is gold.  Still love the shows, but you can't make on the order of 80 episodes between them, have 4 Fords and none of them "done" and not say that there isn't bias.   

I started to write a more detailed opinion of the whole Roadkill thing in this reply, but I blew it off as inconsequential after a couple paragraphs. The bottom line for me personally is this: for years I've been trying to decide whether to kill off the character known as FElony or take it to another level. 46 or 47 of the vehicles I have in hand right now could be built to run the gamut of Roadkill to Barrett-Jackson and everywhere in between, without having to buy any major engine, trans, or rear axle parts at all. Could I find a middle path in the video world between the hack work at RK and the bucks-up Houses? Can I do this while injecting the narrative with FElony style? (I use "style" loosely). Maybe and maybe. Actually sketched out an initial episode as well as an intro segment. I've seen YouTube channels from "regular guys" that are working with far less and still have a decent following (every writer needs a following, you know).

What they have that I don't is youth and friends. Friends that work the camera. Friends that do editing. Friends that help them jockey things into place. Friends to bounce jokes and banter off of. Friends to rush you to the hospital when you zig instead of zag. So, could I find an angle to use this? "Crotchety Old Fart Garage"? Can I come up with endless barbs towards a wife-->ex-wife although I've never been married? Can I use a headgear cam exclusively because my face was horribly disfigured from hitting a concrete bridge abutment at speed? Can I reference my impressive arrest record, including the fact that when the cops show up with a warrant, I never ask what it's for because I'm sure I'm guilty anyway?

I dunno. Uh, what were we talking about again? Oh yeah, Roadkill. Lately, Lucky Costa has become my favorite Motor Trend personality. Although he plays off with Tony Angelo quite well, a Costa/FElony dialog boggles my diminutive mind. OK, gotta go now. I just realized I left my keys in the passenger door lock. I'm wearing my Speed Racer jammies. I hope nobody sees me go out to the driveway in them. Could be embarrassing. Better than when I was caught going out to the mailbox in Depends, I guess. Not sure.

ericwevans

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 12:12:05 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Eric Evans

1960 Falcon, 306 SBF