Author Topic: Oil pump eaten up and destroyed  (Read 4548 times)

unclewill

• View Profile
Oil pump eaten up and destroyed
« on: January 04, 2017, 01:07:00 PM »
So I bought another used donor 390 for parts.  I started to tear it down and noticed it had hardly been run, the bottom end looks brand new!  I was also happy to see a Melling HV oil pump in there - score!  But alas, I pulled the pump and tried to turn it and it was locked.  I also noticed the pump drive shaft was stuck fast in the distributor shaft - I mean it will not come out!  Removing the bottom cover of the oil pump reveals the small gear was driven so hard into the cover plate that it ground chunks off of the plate and locked itself up.  So...lesson learned to always check oil pump driveshaft clearance!
Anyone care to share a procedure for doing so?
Thanks!
1969 Ford Cobra, 482 side oiler, BBM aluminum heads, FiTech EFI, Edelbrock 7105, Comp 292H, CR 4 speed, 9", 3.50

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Oil pump eaten up and destroyed
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 10:41:35 PM »
Odd that the pump was locked up yet the main and rod bearings looked fine? Did you check every bearing and the thrust surfaces on the center bearing and crank thrust faces? How does the bottom of the distributor gear look as well as the cast iron 'shelf' inside the block that the gear rides on? Pic of that shelf btw: http://diyford.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/332.jpg

With a new pump, bolt it onto the bare block, add the pump driveshaft, mock up the
intake and install the distributor with the hold-down plate w/bolt tightened down. The drive shaft should move up/down at least 1/8" to 1/4", essentially free play where the shaft doesn't bottom out. Add the ditzy's rotor and w/o a camshaft installed, the rotor and hence the oil pump should very easily spin over.   

One other thing to pay attention to:

http://www.camresearchcorp.com/shop/uncategorized/distributor-gears/

The Ford link explains the why but note the dimensions given are not for the FE! The Camresearch link has the correct ditzy gear height for all FE's. 

http://performanceparts.ford.com/download/pdfs/DistributorGearInstallation.pdf
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 10:57:16 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

unclewill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 10:59:11 PM »
Thanks for the reply Bob!  I'm too busy with the 482 to bother checking the bearings on the 390, but I am planning to finish tearing it down one day if I don't sell it first.  I'll also check the surfaces as you describe.  I'm not sure if it killed the engine, the guy sold it to me as a runner (as they always do!).
I'll use your method to make sure the sideoiler doesn't end up with the same problem.
1969 Ford Cobra, 482 side oiler, BBM aluminum heads, FiTech EFI, Edelbrock 7105, Comp 292H, CR 4 speed, 9", 3.50

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 10:51:14 AM »
I'm betting that the builder of the core engine inadvertently installed a 429, 400M or other longer oil pump drive shaft instead of an FE.   

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 11:19:50 AM »
I dont know but i think the coverplates is made out of
a little to soft material. Just stamped out of some mild
steel.When you open a new pump they are already scratced
 I shall try to case hardening one coverplate
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 11:34:02 AM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 11:57:17 AM »
I'm betting that the builder of the core engine inadvertently installed a 429, 400M or other longer oil pump drive shaft instead of an FE.

That's kinda' what I thought too Babybolt. Light scoring as Heo stated is normal but it sounds like our poster has a really torn-up plate. Unusual to say the least but yes, a too long shaft would do that. 
Bob Maag

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 12:22:10 PM »
That could deff cause some probs. 1/4" v 5/16" . Like jamming a square peg into a round hole. Lesson it's a 361 - 391 dizzy/pump combo.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 03:07:03 PM »

Bingo....

A pump shaft for an engine with a girdle.....maybe an MEL shaft, etc.  I've never had any issues with the correct pump shaft being too long or the gears in the pump bottoming out against the cover.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

unclewill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 08:40:55 AM »
I'll check it and get back to you, sounds plausible to me too...

unclewill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 10:11:26 AM »
Curiosity got the best of me so I started working on the 390 unilite.  The pump drive shaft was seated in the diz shaft then someone drilled and inserted a small pin to hold it in place (which is why I couldn't remove it at first).  It is the correct length shaft, though.  Is this a common mod?  I'm not sure how this would cause the problem with the pump.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 11:55:51 AM »
No, it's not. Pinned shafts are not used.

FE's (and pretty much all Fords) use a retaining clip as pictured below.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-224-61114?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-sealed-power&gclid=CJm0tOj9rdECFU-ewAodc4ENzw
Bob Maag

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 05:40:09 PM »
Since the first time I pulled a hex shaft loose and dropped it into the pan (sometime in the 1960s) I've put a light drop of Loctite in the end of the diz. Never failed me yet or caused any sort of problem with the pump.

KS

unclewill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 08:43:05 PM »
I can't think of why the pinned shaft would matter, I'll post any new findings as I deal with the 390 in the future.