Author Topic: 406 build  (Read 2903 times)

Lowrider

• View Profile
406 build
« on: December 07, 2016, 09:12:40 AM »
A few questions. I'm gathering parts to build my 406 3/2v 4sp 61 Starliner. Not building a monster 1/4 mile engine just something that runs good. Trying to stay mostly with stock parts. Thinking of going with a C3AZ-AA camshaft. Picked up a set of Egge pistons for it and wondered how much I could machine the deck to achieve the best piston deck height. Don't have it apart yet so I can't check what it would be with the new pistons. Currently have C2SZ-C heads. Would it be worth the expense to find a set of the EDC heads with the machined combustion chambers. Finally the web site Ford-Y-Block.com lists all the block and cylinder head casting numbers, what years they fit and dimensions for all the yblock engines.  Is a site like that out there for FE engines. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

RJP

• View Profile
Re: 406 build
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 02:40:54 PM »
Personally I would have had the block sonic checked before buying pistons as 406 cylinders can be notoriously thin.  Factory bore oversize recommendation is only .015" Some have successfully bored 406 blocks +.030" but either they were lucky or...? On the EDC heads I would not use them if you are looking to maximize quench. The machined combustion chambers remove too much quench area leaving a 'almost' open chamber. I would use the C2SZ-C heads. Make sure you check piston to valve clearance with those Egge pistons as they are usually made as factory replacements and may not have valve reliefs as the orig. 406 pistons were without valve reliefs, IIRC. The AA cam has .500" lift whereas the 1962 406 cam was .479" Small difference in lift but valve timing and duration may cause lots of grief with p/v clearance.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 04:10:16 PM »
As far as decking the block, cutting it 0.010" to 0.020" is very common, no problem there.  You can go farther if necessary (I've seen them cut to 10.12", which is a 0.050" cut), but then you will be looking at cutting the intake to match.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

BH107

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 05:39:23 PM »
Keep in mind also that the 406 had a very soggy deck from the factory, and even then they were slightly over 11:1 compression. If you deck the block, run factory style flat pistons, and a standard head gasket you'll be over 12:1 compression. Of course switching to some larger combustion chamber 390 or 427 heads will help if you go that direction.

Lowrider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 02:41:58 AM »
Thanks for the all the information. After reading everything I realized I didn't give all the correct information about this. I picked this car up last spring and it's turned out to be just a bit better than a running basket case. Here's what the PO said he did. He started with a D3TE 391 truck block had it bored to 4.130, found a set of used 406 pistons and a 390 crank and rods. Didn't balance anything. Doesn't run bad after I got the carbs straightened out and it doesn't overheat here in Az. but knew I wouldn't be happy until I went through it and "made it mine". Not that many miles on it since his rebuild so when I found the 406 pistons for a good price I thought I would go through it again & fix some things. While the original pistons are flattop the Egge ones are dished. Theres a small difference in the pin height that's why I asked about decking the block. Does the 391 block change anything? The reason I asked about the EDC heads was because there's a pair on eBay now for 100$. Figured if they were a better choice I'd pick them up, but I think I'll stay with what I've got. Sorry about the curve ball.

BH107

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 05:03:54 PM »
Thanks for the all the information. After reading everything I realized I didn't give all the correct information about this. I picked this car up last spring and it's turned out to be just a bit better than a running basket case. Here's what the PO said he did. He started with a D3TE 391 truck block had it bored to 4.130, found a set of used 406 pistons and a 390 crank and rods. Didn't balance anything. Doesn't run bad after I got the carbs straightened out and it doesn't overheat here in Az. but knew I wouldn't be happy until I went through it and "made it mine". Not that many miles on it since his rebuild so when I found the 406 pistons for a good price I thought I would go through it again & fix some things. While the original pistons are flattop the Egge ones are dished. Theres a small difference in the pin height that's why I asked about decking the block. Does the 391 block change anything? The reason I asked about the EDC heads was because there's a pair on eBay now for 100$. Figured if they were a better choice I'd pick them up, but I think I'll stay with what I've got. Sorry about the curve ball.

How much dish and what is the compression height of the pistons? The 406 pistons already have a compression height 0.035-0.040" shorter than a 390, so if the Egge pistons are shorter than that you are going to have problems.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 05:09:00 PM by BH107 »