Author Topic: Shock Tower Struts?...: I don't need no stinking shock tower struts!..... D'oh!  (Read 1785 times)

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
  This pic's fresh from SEMA. Maybe I'm wrong but that looks to be an FE Mustang, with a factory fan shroud/radiator and other parts including use of the "stock" two-bolt shocks (hard to be aftermarket struts). Gets me how some will not bother with firewall to shock tower bracing.   We've all heard the tales of someone discovering their shock towers being to tight to bolt the headers on... The standard up-grade to triangulate the front end is to install an Export Brace, but to not bother with at least the factory braces?
  Conversely I've seen FE/385  Mustangs without both the shock tower bracing and without the bar the under the pan that connects the lower control arm pivots of the subframe...

http://cdn.speednik.com/files/2016/11/2016-11-04_19-07-01.jpg
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 10:26:31 AM by Qikbbstang »

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
Well, FWIW - the 67 we had (302, mild - like barely 100 HP) supposedly had an aftermarket one piece tower brace since the guy I bought it from had it in his possession.  Probably 15~20 years or so.  Both towers were cracked to hell.  So I don't put that much stock in the tower braces.  My Falcon never had one and I can tell you I beat (still do) the hell out of that car and the towers are just fine.  The 70 came with stock style two piece braces - they are under the bench because they make it a PITA to work on the car.  Helps that the 70 has an 8 point cages and connectors LOL.  IMHO putting a solid brace between the rails under the engine like the Fairlanes would do 100x better than tower braces that attach to a flimsy firewall/cowl weld seam.