Author Topic: Thoughts and suggestions on a wide band O2 sensor?  (Read 6802 times)

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts and suggestions on a wide band O2 sensor?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 11:17:33 PM »
Been using my LM-1 for years tuning my carb setups. You really need it if you want a good tune for street use and YES you will be tearing into the carb/carbs many times to get it right.
When I setup my dual Holley 600 carbs everything came together nicely with LM-1 assisted tuning.
 When I made a change to the larger 1 11/16 throttle bodies the Idle cruise circuit went to pieces going leaner as cruise RPM went up before the main system kicked in.
Without the A/F data I would have been still trying to figure it out!

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I don't have enough experience to rely on the "seat of my pants". Data helps explain what is going on. BTW, once I get the QFT 830 worked out I've been thinking I'd like try my hand at a dual carb set up. Nothing to do but dream since it snowed about 3 inches today and we can look forward to -10 most of next week.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 09:15:42 AM »
I am now using the AEM A/F gauge mostly because it has a easier to see display and it is smaller in overall size.
When I need to check the tune I just mount it next to the tach on the dash pad.
I don't use it as a permanent setup.

Red Lehr

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 06:05:09 AM »
I recently put the Auto Meter wideband 02 sensor permanently in my car. From a novice point of view,I like knowing if I'm running fat or lean.
Being relatively new at turning wrenches, I need all the help I can get. The first thing I noticed was how much the meter fluctuated from the warm weather to cold when I start the engine....Why would that be ??

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 09:18:38 AM »
The first thing I noticed was how much the meter fluctuated from the warm weather to cold when I start the engine....Why would that be ??

Oxygen available is one part.  Heat makes the fuel easier to vaporize and mix with the air.  This is why most engines that aren't tuned seasonally take longer to warm up and run perfectly in the winter.  (I daily drive a carbureted vehicle year round, it's pretty apparent on a 20 degree morning with no choke)