Author Topic: Disease please, I'll take two.  (Read 83677 times)

turbohunter

• View Profile
Re: Disease please, I'll take two.
« Reply #195 on: April 03, 2018, 04:13:52 PM »
John has inspired me to update.
Waiting for the engine. There have been stupid little problem all along the way. For instance, the pistons (Ross) came with hardly any room for oil to get to the wrist pins to cool them. Would be ok maybe for a race deal built not a street driver. So Dustin has to machine some room into the pistons. Sending them back would take forever again. Then (of course) Edison informed him his shop would be without power for three days while they are upgrading the feed to his complex.
Ah life.
Here are some pics of where it is. You can see evidence of the battle to balance the crankshaft. You see, me being me, I got this crankshaft for free so I figured what the heck, 1Us are great cranks so I’ll use it. Then I went about offset grinding and nitriding the crank to the tune of 600 bucks (you know that’s about what I could get a Scat 4.250 for right  ::) ). Then of course I would rather the crank was internally balanced so I had the boys attempt that. Welllllll on a 1U you’d need a generous amount of Mallory ($$$) to deal with that sooooooooo I bought a Centerforce flywheel and had the boys balance the two together. They got it done and I learned a big lesson that I kinda knew I would but sometimes you just have to teach yourself that you’re an idiot. So I have a free 428 crank that cost about 800/900 bucks. Makes sense right ::)
Anyway you builders and experienced guys have a chuckle at my expense. I deserve it. The fun thing is I get to go up and help (or hinder) when I can.
Here’s some pics. BTW type crank turns like butter. The cam is a bit tougher but I’m thinking hey, good oil pressure. Oh and yes, decided not to use the studs in the rear main because of the time and pain in machining for the extra height of the stud. I’m done with time and want to get it together.

Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 03, 2018, 06:36:01 PM »
It still sounds cooler to say you've got an offset ground, nitrided, stroker 428 crank  :)

That's a bummer on the pistons. I've used Ross a few times, albeit several years ago, and never saw or had that problem. I definitely agree though, there doesn't seem to be enough room for oil to get to the pins.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 03, 2018, 08:10:16 PM »
LOL
Yeah, I don’t mind showing my undies. Made up my mind along time ago I’m not going to be that asswipe computer smart moron that knows everything about everything.
That does sound cool though. Maybe I should grow my mullet back and put on some shades.
“Hey girls, offset ground, nitrided 428 stroker crank,,,, dig it.”
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 03, 2018, 10:42:41 PM »
That definitely will get you laid ;D...sounds like a scene from
a 70s adult entertainment movie ....Not that I have watched
any.... a friend told me ;D ;D ;D ;D

Right or wrong i would trust a Ford crank more than a
China crank

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 03, 2018, 10:50:08 PM »
Agreed.
Why do I feel like having a drink with damn near every FE guy. 8)
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 04, 2018, 01:25:13 AM »
If you come to the north of Sweden i buy you a drink :D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 04, 2018, 06:04:38 AM »
So, it sounds like the cam does not turn easily. Did you 'deburr' the cam bearings after they were installed? Often, one burrs up the bearing ends when driving them into the cam tunnel. The sharp knife trick does work to shave a tad off the front edge of each bearing face.   

BTW type crank turns like butter. The cam is a bit tougher but I’m thinking hey, good oil pressure.

Bob Maag

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 04, 2018, 07:19:47 AM »
Yeah Bob, all deburred. Once it starts turning it’s smooth just tight at first and that’s with no gear on just the cam so no leverage.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 04, 2018, 07:33:28 AM »
Well, if it's just a tad tight, as they usually are, you should be good to go. And yes, it's a 'feel' thingee as long ago on my first few builds I questioned the initial 'spin it' tightness, then smooth. Thankfully I had a pro check it, said it was fine and I never later questioned the issue. Never did have any cam bearing issues.
Bob Maag

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 04, 2018, 07:48:21 AM »
Yeah I’m sure that’s what it is with me. I’m not experienced enough to have a feel yet.
Luckily I have a pro actually keeping an eye on/doing everything. I just get to go up and probably slow things down even more by “helping”.
I’m lucky to have a good relationship with him. Great schooling.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 15, 2019, 02:03:22 PM »
Well it’s been a long time but I finally got my engine in my garage.
As some of you know it’s been a challenge to get this engine. To wrap it up neatly and not go over the drudgery again I had a bad C scratch block. It was checked out with the normal sonic, pressure and mag but on its second pull on the dyno it popped two pin holes in number 6 right where you wouldn’t put a sonic probe. This block had the cleanest water jackets I’d ever seen. So it had to come apart and a new block had to be used. Yes I could have sleeved it but I would always have that nagging little devil in the back of my brain. That block hurt me bad so I kicked it to the curb and let the scrappers have it. Once it’s cheated on you there’s no going back.
Luckily forum member Mike had recently sold me a beautiful cross bolted block that he was going to use for his race car but decided to go a different way. He sold me the block for a very fair price and that really helped. I am in your debt Mike. Thank you again.
The new block was a smaller bore 390 block and I dare not bore it (yes I’m eternally scared now) so I had to buy a new set of slugs and build a smaller motor. It’s 4x4.130 so I’ve got a 428.
But that’s all behind me now. The new engine ran on the dyno just fine. I was busy so the guys just ran it to 5700 pm. Hp was 478 and climbing, tq was 580ish iirc at 3200? So I’ve got what I wanted, a 500/500 motor that will make a ‘66 mustang do ... well ... you know.
I’ve started to fit the sensors and junk on the engine. Going to have to install it in order to set how I’m going to mount the coils and check fitment of all the accessories.
I’m real busy until January so progress will be slow, but I’m used to that now.  ::)
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

mike7570

« Reply #206 on: November 16, 2019, 01:53:20 AM »
I’m glad that worked out for you, I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it.
I’m Slowly  building a stock eliminator car and I needed an engine that could get closer to the allowable .080 over on the bore. After discovering I had a 390 block at 4.12 I knew I needed to bite the bullet and get a BBM iron bock. It’s sitting in the corner of my garage while I accumulate the rest of the pieces to get it running.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 29, 2020, 03:56:32 PM »
This is a pretty big day.
First time this car has felt a real engine in years. It’s nice to know all my measurements have worked out so far. It’s tight in there between a few things but it works. Steering rack is a bit tight because when I measured the mounts I didn’t include the pan screen. However I may switch racks (or not) we’ll see.
There is no way for me to get the motor and trans in by myself without beating the crap out of paint so I’m going engine, clutch, trans. Luckily the engine is perfectly balanced on the mounts so no jack required to keep it level. This way will also allow me to measure over and over for throw out setup.
Now all I have to do is everything else. Here’s pics.

Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 29, 2020, 04:03:35 PM »
Oh, about those valve covers. I bought them as working set off of eBay in order to not screw up my nice ones.
Turning out they are the only thing that’s working with my setup.
Not worried though as I’m going to build the coil rack into the top of them so you’re not really going to see them in this form.
Obviously pentroofs are out.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #209 on: February 29, 2020, 09:32:45 PM »
I'll bet if I trimmed your pentroofs for master cylinder clearance they would fit...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC