Author Topic: Disaster narrowly avoided  (Read 3816 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Disaster narrowly avoided
« on: September 01, 2016, 08:32:28 PM »
Earlier this week I found I needed to change my travel plans and I would leave Saturday morning(instead of Friday) and show up at the track Sunday. As per my change of travel plans I made reservations at a Motel in Brownsburg, IN for Saturday and called my Motel in Newark, OH to cancel my reservation for Saturday. Well it turns out they had booked me a room for Saturday only and not Sunday! I was not very happy to say the least and they were sold out for Sunday(naturally). I figured there was no way I was going to be able to get another room anywhere close this late. So I got on the phone and prepared for the worst but believe it or not the first place I called had a couple of rooms available. WHEW! I was afraid I was going to get stuck in some flea bag motel 50 miles away! All I can say is I am glad I made this change of plans. That would have been miserable had I just showed up to find I didn't have a room for both nights.
  My DragWeek misadventures have already started and I haven't even left my house! 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 09:21:33 PM by AlanCasida »

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Disaster narrowly avoided
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 09:27:32 PM »
My wife wants to follow along (without helping of course) and just booked rooms for all 5 nights, and that was just Tuesday. I debated earlier whether or not to try and book rooms as a back-up as my Son and I were planning on just camping at the tracks. Actually we were just going to throw some sleeping bags out. or I have a small 2 person tent if it were to rain. I was surprised she was able to find rooms so easily, so it doesn't surprise me that you were able to. What state do you live in, Alan?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 09:43:17 PM »
I live in Belle Plaine, Kansas, just south of Wichita. It's about a 15hr drive for me this year. I was pleasantly surprised I have to say. I booked my rooms the same day as HR announced the tracks and some of the motels I called had already sold out.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 09:54:26 PM by AlanCasida »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 09:04:56 AM »
I'd imagine some people have cancelled due to dropping out, so that may explain the rooms.
So you're driving your car 15 hours TO the event? That's impressive considering that cam has some pretty healthy lift. Ever have problems with the springs? Hope you have a safe trip to Columbus.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 10:39:23 AM »
No, I will be trailering it. That's just too far for a starting point. In 2014 I drove it but the starting point was Tulsa and I was only about 2 1/2 hours away.

TomP

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 05:31:42 PM »
Brownsburg IN? Doesn't it start at National Trail this year? Indy is a few days later.

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 06:01:28 PM »
Brownsburg IN? Doesn't it start at National Trail this year? Indy is a few days later.
Yes it does. Part of my change in plans was I am leaving on Saturday instead of Friday and I don't really want to drive 15+hrs straight through. So I figured if I got within about 4 hrs of the track that would work fine. Also, last year I got out to the track bright and early(7:30-8) for tech, ended not getting tech'ed until about 2pm then had to wait until about 5:30 before T-N-T. I didn't get back to the motel until about 9:30 so it was a very long day with ALOT of waiting. If I can get in line by about 10:30 or so that will be fine.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 06:04:00 PM by AlanCasida »