Poll

Which to use on street motor?

New stock shafts and stands with end stands
14 (58.3%)
HD shafts like Harland Sharp or Doug Garifo's
10 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: OK, poll out to everyone, FE HD rocker shafts or stock style shafts and stands?  (Read 7108 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
- Engine spins 5500-ish max
- 445 FE with SFT, 290lbs open at .588 lift
- Cam is 282/236 SFT Bullet grind
- New Harland Sharp bushed rockers

Which would you use? A set of HD shafts and no stands or end stands with new Sealed Power stock shafts?  Price is right around 200 bucks either way

Leaning toward no end stands, just because the tins are nice long finger and I don't want to bend them up, but I also have no qualms running without them
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

fekbmax

• View Profile
Preferably both h/d shafts and end stand supports but I know that doesn't answer your question lol.
I'd go with the H/D shafts.
Lots of broken stock shafts back in the day with pretty mild by today's standards hydraulic camshafts.
JMO.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
If you have factory shafts(new or in good shape), I would run them with end supports and save a few bucks. I currently run factory shafts with homemade end supports. I will have some better end stands coming from POP in a few days, but current setup works fine. I am running a somewhat mild hyd. flat tappet with 130-140 on the seat and 360lbs open. I run it to 6k every time I get the car out. Other than a failed rocker( also have some better replacements on the way), I feel stock shafts are sufficient.

Just my two pennies...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 10:36:37 PM by Nightmist66 »
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Stands.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
My personal opinion is that you don't need either, but if my arm was pinned behind my back and I was forced to vote, I'd vote for stands.  :)

Just dyno'd one yesterday, 440 inches, with a 243/249 @ .050", .600" hydraulic roller, 150 seat, 350 open.  Factory non-adjustable rockers, rockers had been reground, new shafts (not HD) and I put a set of Doug's end stands on it.   No problems to 6000 rpm.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

C6AE

• View Profile
Stands.
I have seen a handful broken, bit never with end stands.

I don't think you can get the rigidity of end stands even with solid shafts. It is a math problem...

garyv

• View Profile
I vote for stock shafts with end stands.
garyv

My427stang

• View Profile
I have to say I agree, I just hate to squish these pretty long finger drip rails :)
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
End stands.  Cut those tins LOL!
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
I used
-factory rockers
-crane adjusters
-end stands, spacers, and stands from POP
-studs
-new sealed power shafts

Didn't break the bank, and I'm pretty sure it's 250% overkill.... so one less than to worry about.
The long tins wouldn't fit with the intake so I used the later tins and they fit with no modification.

cjshaker

• View Profile
I'm pretty much with Brent on this one. For a mild street build, with mild lifts, I don't think you'd need either. Except for having to upgrade to some Crane locking adjusters, I ran a totally stock system for 23 years on my Highboy's 390. Ran and used hard all its life and 5500 rpm was no stranger, that's for sure.

But now I'd likely go with some heavy shafts. After that long, the stock shafts have to be getting a bit weak, so no sense in pushing it. I just recently got a 445 stroker kit from Blair for the same engine, bought some heavy shafts from Summit, and the rest of the system will be going right back together. I expect another 20+ years of service, provided I live that long. 8)

Edit: I saw your lift is nearing .600. Mine was only .550. I'd probably consider the end stands with stock or heavy shafts at that lift and pressure.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 12:48:54 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Ohh and if your concern is your long fingered tins, I'll give ya a set of them so you can cut those up instead.

Ranch

• Retired Maintenance Machinist, Millwright
    • View Profile
 I use to run my "406" with a B cam to 7K with OEM rocker set up, but that was back in the days before Internet and paranoia. Now I've upgraded to P.O.P. heavy duty shaft but still the same aluminum stands but will probably only run up to 5.5K now with this Comp 282S cam and 9.7 compression. If it's a street car I think OEM is fine unless you need shafts like I did or you just want to spend money. Oh, I like my long fingered tins also....  JMO

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
I was breaking stock shafts with aluminum stands 30 years ago at the track and on the street.  Hydraulic flat tappet cams that were mild by today's standards.  Bought my first end stand kit from old man Holbrook sometime around 1987.  I see no reason at all to relearn that lesson...

fekbmax

• View Profile
I broke several shafts to back in the 80's. Always right in the middle between the to center stands in the long span. Never broke a shaft on either end though. I'm sure there was alot of deflection at those points though.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.