Author Topic: The Road to Drag Week 2016 - Old School Style  (Read 37703 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: The Road to Drag Week 2016 - Old School Style
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2016, 09:10:25 PM »
Thanks, everyone. I tend to go a little overboard, but I'm ok with that ;D Luck favors the prepared, and all that junk...

I got the QA-1 shocks today and got them installed. Very nice pieces I might add, and they give me some room for suspension movement under compression. I like the double adjustability (I don't think that's even a word, but I'm using it anyway). I also got the gears today, so I'm setting them up and will hopefully get them installed tomorrow or Thursday. Then I need to put some miles on them to break them in, then a fluid change and the car should be good to go.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2016, 10:57:07 AM »
Very clean! Before I decided to put everything in my trunk I started with the very same hitch I got off of Ebay and pretty much the same trailer. I bet that aftermarket Galaxie part should be good for a tenth or two.  :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 05:40:32 PM by AlanCasida »

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2016, 03:24:17 PM »
That Car is beautiful.  I'm sure I've said it before, but you need to hear it again.  LOL
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2016, 08:54:56 PM »
Yes very clean and I will be following also.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2016, 09:56:58 PM »
QA-1 shocks installed. I'm really anxious to see what a difference these make on the street.

And the differential is finished. I went ahead and touched it up with a fresh coat of expoxy primer and some red oxide and cast iron paint, because you can't be fast unless everything looks good ::)  Ready to put in. Ugh, it's always easier taking them off. Hopefully I'll have the rear finished up tomorrow night.

Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2016, 10:16:03 PM »
That car is super clean, Doug. :) Parts look great.

I do have a question though. In the last picture, I notice the pinion nut is flush or slightly past the pinion shaft. It looks like you may be using a Daytona support with a standard yoke. The yokes for the Daytona setup are machined .250" deeper to compensate. If you don't want to buy another yoke, you can machine it down in a lathe. I've done that before. Also, are you using the solid pinion bearing spacer or a crush sleeve. I much like the solid spacer myself. It is more durable and once you set your preload, you can change yokes, seals, etc as much as you want without having to worry about anything.

Keep up the excellent work. Can't wait to see this in DW.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2016, 09:53:09 AM »
Jared, it is indeed a Strange aluminum Daytona support. I had purchased the case, support, bearings and yoke from Strange, last year, and a locker from a forum member. I just needed the gears to finish it. I set it up exactly like my previous one. If I had changed the yoke, it would have changed my driveshaft length. It would have only been a 1/4", but I try to keep as much spline contact as I can, for driveshaft stability. My front yoke is a billet piece, so it has full splines. I've never had a problem with the rear yoke, so I kept it the same. I do use solid spacers for the reasons you mentioned. Now I've got a spare if I need it, but with 3.89 gearing.

I've already got plans for future use with this unit, because my next set-up will be a through bolted large bearing case for 35 spline axles. But that's another story :)
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2016, 11:21:49 AM »
Hi Doug, I may not have been very clear explaining the yoke. If you use the Daytona style, which you do, The yoke is machined .250" deeper inside where the nut seats to the yoke. It is deeper in that hole. No need to change yokes and worry about driveshaft length. The overall length of the yoke is the same, Just cut deeper where the nut sits.

Would love to see that new setup too. :)
Jared

afret

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2016, 12:57:48 PM »
Hey, it looks like you're just about ready for Drag Week.   :)  It should be a lot of fun.

How much shorter are the new shocks compared to the Calvert shocks?  According to the specs I found, the QA1 are supposed to be 11.5" compressed and the Ranchos (Calvert) are 11.625"?  Is there really only a 1/8" difference in compressed height?

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2016, 07:51:12 PM »
How much shorter are the new shocks compared to the Calvert shocks?  According to the specs I found, the QA1 are supposed to be 11.5" compressed and the Ranchos (Calvert) are 11.625"?  Is there really only a 1/8" difference in compressed height?

Earl, I'm not sure where the info on the Calvert shocks came from, but it's wrong. Maybe you were looking at the style meant for earlier Mustangs? From what I understand, they are a bit shorter and would probably work better than what they say the '69 calls for. The QA-1 shocks are 12.5" compressed and the Calverts are 15.5" compressed, for a difference of 3". I measured from middle of bushing to middle of bushing because that will be the actual distance that is usable. That would probably account for the extra 1" in the QA-1's info. Because my car is mainly street driven, I wanted the double adjustable shocks, and Calvert doesn't offer that.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2016, 08:02:04 PM »
Hi Doug, I may not have been very clear explaining the yoke. If you use the Daytona style, which you do, The yoke is machined .250" deeper inside where the nut seats to the yoke. It is deeper in that hole. No need to change yokes and worry about driveshaft length. The overall length of the yoke is the same, Just cut deeper where the nut sits.

I understand now, Jared. To be honest, I wasn't aware there was a difference. The nut sits flush with the end of the pinion shaft, so I'm not sure what would be accomplished by cutting it .250" deeper. Is there an advantage to that? My first one was bought complete through Currie, the second I bought the parts through Strange, and they are both set up the same way. This one is the same. So if there is an issue, I'm not aware of it.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2016, 08:14:53 PM »
I got the rear finished up tonight, and I can say one thing for sure....that will be the LAST time I install a center section, by myself, laying on my back!!!! :o
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2016, 08:36:36 PM »
Doug, I can't say for sure about an advantage with cutting it deeper. I just brought it up because I have never seen a pinion nut at the end of the yoke before. I have seen quite a few 9 inches, set up 8.8s, and done numerous pinion seals on anything from a 7.5-10.5" Ford and occaisional Chrysler and GMs. I haven't seen any of those that didn't have at least 2 1/2- 3 threads showing. Maybe it is just the peace of mind factor for me. Integrity wise, it should work though.

At any rate, best of luck with the new setup and have fun at DW!

I apologize to everyone if I have annoyed with my ramblings, I'll shut up now......

Jared

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2016, 08:44:19 PM »
I apologize to everyone if I have annoyed with my ramblings, I'll shut up now......

Not at all, Jared. That's an interesting observation. I'll probably look into it a bit more when I get the chance. We're all here to learn and share.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

afret

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2016, 10:37:00 PM »

Earl, I'm not sure where the info on the Calvert shocks came from, but it's wrong. Maybe you were looking at the style meant for earlier Mustangs? From what I understand, they are a bit shorter and would probably work better than what they say the '69 calls for. The QA-1 shocks are 12.5" compressed and the Calverts are 15.5" compressed, for a difference of 3". I measured from middle of bushing to middle of bushing because that will be the actual distance that is usable. That would probably account for the extra 1" in the QA-1's info. Because my car is mainly street driven, I wanted the double adjustable shocks, and Calvert doesn't offer that.

It's kinda weird.  I think Calvert offers the same rear shock for '65 to '70 Mustangs.  It's about the same as your QA1 at about 12.5" from rubber bushing to rubber bushing.  I was looking for a bit shorter shock since I have to drive quite a bit on bumpy dirt roads here and only have about 2" of compression before  bottoming out.  Oh well.