Author Topic: THe road to Drag Week 2016 - Hemi Style  (Read 40836 times)

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
Re: THe road to Drag Week 2016 - Hemi Style
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2016, 05:29:44 PM »
I am curious if it hooked at 9300 on those tires?

I think you'd be better off running a 61 Meteor wagon with a 585" SOHC... :)

No hookey at 9300... 

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2016, 05:59:57 PM »
Progress report:

My two former trunk monkeys, Kevin and Jeff came over, and having 3 trunk monkeys in one place ended up to be quite a party!  ;D Kevin brought some wheels and tires, and he picked up one from Jay as well for me to test fit. We decided on 9x28- 15 on a 7" rim as the biggest that will fit my stock wheelwell without getting custom offset wheels. So I ordered a pair of MT ET Drags.
I spent a bunch of time finding parts and digging them out of various storage hideaways, and got a couple of workbenches halfway cleared of clutter so I had a place to work.  Got the block cleaned up and onto the bench. I found some slight rust in a few areas like the main bearing bores, so I polished them up with scotchbrite. The #1 and #5 main cap parting surfaces had some material transfer from cap walk, so I carefully honed the block surfaces with a stone, and the cap surfaces with 600 grit paper on a granite surface plate. I installed the 3/4 groove competition main bearings and caps and checked all the main bearing clearances. They are right at .0020. I wouldn't mind seeing .0025-.0030, but I think they will be OK.

I like to do the crank work on the table, so I can then test fit all the flywheel/clutch/bellhousing/transmission/starter stuff and dial in the bellhousing while the crank is easy to turn and Im not under the car.  The bell is a new quicktime scattersheild, and it was concentric to the centerline of the crankshaft within .006". Close enuff. But the counterweight levers on the Advance clutch hit the inside of the bell. So I put some washers between the block and the block plate to push the bell rearward .125" as a test. That solved the clearance issue, so I ordered an extra block plate to put in there as a long term solution.

Jeff came over and got busy pulling the F.A.S.T. fuel tank, and installing the new caltracs and mono leafs.

I hope to get the new slicks mounted and test fitted this week, and the short block all assembled over the upcoming weekend.

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2016, 03:26:50 AM »
What size Advance clutch are you using? I have a 7" twin plate from them that I got a few years ago to use in my race car, but then went with a C4. I have been thinking about running in my street/strip Galaxie with the Jerico behind it. I'm wondering how the clutch will handle limited street duties.

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2016, 12:35:08 PM »
The clutch is a 10" single disc. The only streetability issue is that it is extremely light. So it surges and bucks sometimes when you try to creep along slowly in traffic. Same thing in the pits. I just stab the clutch if it starts doing it.
 I noticed that the clutch fork pivot bracket is not properly positioned to center the throw-out bearing. Plus I have heard that the bracket can flex, so I am going to machine a pivot from a chunk of solid steel.

The car has a nice stance with the caltrac parts installed:

We had to remove the gas tank because it was set up for F.A.S.T. with a 2 gallon cell, pump and regulator hidden inside. A new stock tank from Auto City Classics is going in.

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2016, 03:30:42 PM »
Interesting observation about the light weight clutch. I have a light weight pocket milled aluminum flywheel, about 10 1/2# and it surges and "bucks" in the pits as well. I never put two and two together. I have seen oval track cars do the same thing quite a bit... and they have real light weight clutch assemblies, so it makes sense. Thanks for turning on the light bulb in my head...

How much does your flywheel weigh? It looks small for diameter as well, 141 tooth ring gear and Hemi 8 bolt crank? FE's have 184 teeth and are about 14 1/2+" diameter.
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2016, 08:22:46 PM »
XR7, the flywheel has a 130 tooth ring gear and weighs just 8 pounds, The pressure plate is 13, and the sintered iron disc is a portly 4 pounds.

THe weight levers on the clutch were hitting on the inside of the Quicktime bellhousing, so I had to buy another "block saver" plate to go between the block and the bell. That will space it rearward far enuff to eliminate the interference.

THe total weight of the whole clutch/flywheel/scattersheild/double block plate assembly is 60#.

I also drilled a "trunk Monkey hole"  for adjusting the clutch.

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2016, 08:33:47 PM »
Hint:
When you are looking up it will help.

57 lima bean

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2016, 03:29:25 PM »
Wow ...A dash one block.Can't be many of those left.ScotiaFE....Funny.I don't think Joel's TM would need any reminder.Seeing his car run 10 flats a couple of weeks back he seems to be well versed.

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2016, 11:19:41 AM »
I think I bought my SoftLoc in '98 or '99. Have a good system down to adjusting one, but the reminder never hurts. Keeping Joel around long enough to do his part will be the tough task. Lol.

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2016, 04:08:46 PM »
I'm going to triple my fee for signing autographs, that should help free up some time.  8)

What's a dash one block?

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2016, 05:32:25 PM »

What's a dash one block?

I'm going to guess Joel is a little disoriented today due to the heat and that's why he didn't know a Mopar trivia question, I know Jerico GTX would know. Here's a link, go part way down the page to the explanation of "dash" blocks.

http://racehemi.maxwedge.com/topics/castings.php
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2016, 08:42:51 PM »
I knew what the -# meant but have never seen a -1 block before. My junk usually came from a junk New Yorker or a Córdoba. The higher the number the more likely it will have core shift, and basically be a boat anchor.

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2016, 03:50:55 PM »

Come one, come all, step right up folks! Stump the Trunk Monkey and win a cigar!  8)

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2016, 09:41:13 AM »
I look taller...

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2016, 09:17:16 AM »
Last night was the first night back after Bonneville. I got the wheel studs swapped in the axles, and drilled the rims for rim screws, and got the screws installed. It is going to be a tough task to get everything finished, but if I can keep Joel WORKING, instead of writing lists we should be OK. Doubt he will see this as he has sworn off all internet, to work on the car.

Hoping tonight I can get the new fuel tank installed, Dana 60 filled up, and start working on the sub frame connectors.