Author Topic: Hey Jay....  (Read 2430 times)

cammerfe

• View Profile
Hey Jay....
« on: July 08, 2016, 11:55:57 AM »
Have you seen the thread on the clear valve covers over on 54? Did you put your explorations on the shelf?

KS

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Hey Jay....
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 01:52:07 PM »
I did see it Ken, thanks.  I have a couple sets of completed clear valve covers here, and have been trying to get an FE powered daily driver together so that I can run those covers for a while on the street and make sure they will hold up.  With all the stuff I have going on the daily driver has not been completed, and I hate to just sell those covers without testing them first, so I haven't offered them up for sale yet.  They certainly held up well on the dyno, but underhood temperature is a whole different animal.  The material is clear polycarbonate, like Lexan but not that trade name, and is supposed to be good for 280F, but being fairly close to the headers I think that they may see more than that.  Hence the test.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 07:13:57 PM »
Polycarbonate is one tough hombre. When I was a Factory Rep I represented a line of air-controls Filters/Coalescers/Regulators simple clear polycarb bowls, always had to have perforated metal safety shields in the rare occurrence they'd rupture.  I can't recall the "ratings" as far as temp/pressure but they were designed for use on compressed air systems.  I never got to see any failures of any poly bowls in my three-state territory ---
   Personally I'm especially impressed that Polycarbonates resist oil and oil mists seemingly without it getting into/discoloring the surface.. 

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 09:22:27 PM »
Jay,  if you just need someone to try to break a cover, lemme know, I'd be happy to do so.  and I have no fear whatsoever of shattering one and changing a valve cover on the side of the road (I've done worse).

Either way, I think it's a super super cool project and would buy a set even if just for the novelty of it all.  (plus it seems like  my friend's kids all come by to see neat engine stuff in my shop (like the steam engine).  clear valve covers would totally be the next logical step :)