Author Topic: TO MOLEST A NOS,....427 SIDE OILER ?  (Read 14121 times)

427HISS

• View Profile
Re: TO MOLEST A NOS,....427 SIDE OILER ?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 08:04:12 PM »
If I could afford to have any engine builder to create a great engine for my Cobra, it would be Brent, even over the other famed FE engine builders. Gessford Machine is very close to me, and I really like George, but I feel like Brent is on the same page I am.

If I was building another Hot Rod, most engines woul be fine, but I feel a Cobra is different. I like the idea of utilizing what was original to Carroll's dream, that being a Side Oiler or with all street Cobras the 428. If I didn't care, there are so many choices, like any FE, the popular 351/427cu, or even Fords 514. I have given thought to the latter, with 625 HP/TQ,  3 year warranty, on sale now for $8,100. Even if I could get passed originalty, I would need to sell/trade my new Quicktime bellhousing, billt aluminum flywheel and clutch ect.... I don't know if I would have issues with the hole in the tunnel for the trans shifter.

Since the car is set up for the FE and Tremec, it's wise to build another FE.

A friend and I raced 360 winged dirt sprint cars for years, and in my younger days, I built several cars & Hot Rods. My first was a 1975 Pro-Street Camaro, 468 Ratt, Munci, narrowed 9" etc. So, I'm not a newbi to excess power. I built a 428 for my Cobra back in 2000, rebuilt it once. At a Good Guys show in Kansas I won Best Ford Muscle 1962 to 1969. Three magazines wanted my Cobra in their magazines, so at the time I was wanting to build a side oiler, and when I spoke with the editors I asked to hold on to see what I could do. This engine build was going to be sponsor paid from the best products out there, and in return the entire build from block to carbs, recorded in video and stills. All would also be on many,....websites and forums.

Sadly, I picked the wrong builder. I sent him 2k in money and all the manufactures products, my newer hard drive camcorder, bag, tripod and camera to record. 1.5 year later, his wife divorced him and his son got on drugs. Depressed, he had not been to his shop in 8 months, and it had been broken into. All four Genesis aluminum blocks were gone, including mine, and all my parts. He also let his insurrance go unpaid.

I had a major health issue, spent a total of 29 days in the hospital, expensive medications and the great insurrance my wifes emplorer had for 30 years was dropped to just Blue Cross. My Medflight to the Mayos clinic was $18,000 and hospital bill was $206,500. When I was two years old, I had a bad fall, crushed my skull, in a comma for 4 days. Since then, I have headaches, to migraine amount of pain, to these zaps, in my head 24/7. And can't work. Long story, but anyway,  for excitment the Cobra is all I have, and it means a lot to me. I do not have the money we did many years ago.

I sold my 428 and tranny to help pay medical bills.

It all took my spirt away for now 8 years, but I refuse to give up on life, so I'm back to getting it back together and building a motor for the Cobra. It always brings a smile to my face and soul.

Thanks,
Kevin

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:06:23 PM by 427HISS »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 08:39:45 PM »
Wow, talk about a string of bad luck! I was out of the car hobby also, for about 12 years, due to life getting in the way. I'm just now getting back in full swing like I used to be. I say go for it and build what you want! Life is too short. If you want to do something, do it while you can. But I still wouldn't bore that block unless I absolutely had to ;)

If it's a vintage 427 block and not a later replacement, have you considered selling it to somebody who is looking for a vintage correct block? You could get a pretty good dime out of it to put towards a BBM, then you wouldn't have to worry about boring it out.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 09:08:30 PM »
Unfortunately, many folks feel they "need" big hp numbers in Cobras- many also get hurt or worse in them. I used to run with one of my best buddies and his cohorts in the mid-70's and the 80, whe were really big into Cobras, when you could still buy one reasonable and run the piss out of them. The factory drivers never really cared for the 427 cars that much, because they were a PITA and twitchy to drive fast. That and the fact that a late USRRC/FIA spec 289 race car with the big fenders, wheels and brakes and a good Weber'd engine in the hads of a good pilot would give a 427 car fits on a tight course. I have ridden in originals back in the day, with (one in particular crazy mofo) drivers who new them well and could shoe them pretty good, the CMF used to think it was fun to break the tires loose going into 4th at around 110 with one hand on the wheel, and yell hey don't worry about it, I got it all under control. The fastest on in the Bay Area group back then was an upgraded street version with a basic 454 TRW stroker setup, nice MR heads and a Crane, pretty rapid and simply known as "the red car". It ended up looking evil as the boys (not the owner) got loose with it in Vallejo one night and whacked one of the rear fenders into a parked car- so they had an old aluminum smith widen the rear fenders 6" and stuck 15" wide rims under the back- on bad red mofo. We were all set up to have him bring it up to Napa when Niel Britt from ChebbieCraft came to town for a Cars of the Napa Valley thing around 1980, but he showed up having traded it back for his old late-spec USRRC/FIA car. So, CMF was chosen to take Chebbie Niel for a ride- chugged out the driveway grinning and winking at us. Around the corner and waaaAAAHH..waAAHHHH..WAA-wu-wu-WAAHHHHHHH... Came back a few minutes later with a bigger grin, and old Niel having a death grip on the cowl and door and looking very pale- got JUST a little sideways in 3rd, and scared the dogshit out of 'ol Niel. Then we rolled out race GT40 #P1009 (it's race history with Peter Sutcliffe is well documented) and Niel didn't want any more rides

HolmanMoodyStroppeGang

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 09:39:34 PM »
Howdy

I need more info on what you have, is it a cherry never run 427?  We raced them all the time for FORD at Holman Moody Stroppe and many of us kept stocks of old NOS stuff for a good reason, it is the genuine article.

Is it a long block?   Why not give us the part number please?   

We have done hundreds of restorations and I am a SHELBY Dealer, I knew Shelby and am still friends with many of my older HMS pals who worked at SHELBY, then Stroppe, then SHELBY, we rotated a lot of men. I kind of see this as an Old School, versus latest greatest school question in part?  Plus you are cash limited?   

You can just get a clean 428 crank, for 452 ish, great heads, two 4's and have a fiesta?  The sombrero and tequila is the cheap part.  The hard parts will cost ya some dinero. I'd suggest research, and at least SCAT rods.   I do have sets of NOS LeMans rods, many do...they go in period correct builds.  Are you a purist?

To many if us, a real 427 was made in Detroit, so, for me, I spend the time to find a ford crank, rods, and heads often. FORD intake, covers, you know. the old stuff kind of speaks to me,,,like, I was there in the glory days. All the new stuff is so bitchin but the old stuff is the genuine article, and it fetches bucks when you sell a resto, no doubt.

I assume this is a pump gas engine? Or not?  We have a nice collection here, now 140 finished Hot Rods and classics, Drag Cars and so on.  For many of them? We run VP race gas and don't care if someday, so how, somebody gives us a ticket.    We have a concrete block building, for 3 grades of race gas, and run it blended, or straight, depending on the mission, goal

If you want it to sound like a real COBRA, from the 60s, I'd stick to the formula that won and went real fast then for this reason, the sound? And the power, torque curve, and attitude, is authentic for the era

Now granted, the new SHELBYS have my favorite new parts. FORD and many of us, were involved in the update. FORD, licensed Shelby to use the FORD numbers on the heads and so on

When you buy a new SHELBY COBRA, the engines come in power levels and get bigger and bigger. They start at 4250 bore, and then combos go from around 454, up to around 577 cubes

The key deal is, the heads have a 2 1/4 inch intake like a cammer.   The stage 2 porting on the SHELBY heads hets you 320 CFM easy, and because the chamber is like the original FE heads, the sound, and performance, sounds nice, and runs great

The key deal on a new FE from Shelby is simple, the block only weighs 124 lbs.....the heads are aluminum, this takes a bunch of weight off of the nose of the car, makes the front rear weight percentages better, so the turn lower lap times in the vintage and club racing circles

We did a lot of hopped up FEs for COBRA owners, all through the 70s and 80s.   If 2 guys had the original 427, they'd race, one would lose, come to us and say, I want to beat my pal bad, what do I need?

So, we'd do dual quad High Risers, stroked, no problem, We did 427, or 452 s with 8V tunnel port heads, we did several very stout SOHC's too

I'd set a clear target?   If you have a FORD block,you can head plate hone is, out 003-4 thou, to 240 and stroke it and haul the mail, without fail

If you go 006 over, to 4.240, then you have 2 more easy rebuilds to 4245, then 4250

ARIAS made thousands of pistons for the new SHELBYS, he will make you any FE piston you wish, and they are tested well. Same deal with VENOLIA, JE, and others  Probe

For me, if I have a stock 427 block, it just looks cool, blends, and seems real, with real FE heads

I just got a forged steel 427 SOHC crank today from a pal, magged it at VELASCO, they are out there

This crank is targeted at a lot more power, so I have the rod throws turned to 392 size. That is 062 under stock, and 1/8th inch wider per rod. Much stronger deal that we raced and won with a lot

The combined with of 2 rods is 2.0, rather than 1.875. This is for a blown FE

Have fun

# of the engine builders here, and many of us, can find you nice original Medium riser heads, High Risers, Tunnel P's

If you want to mix and match, lighter heads also take weight off of the nose a lot.  If you can find the small chamber, fast burn, BT High Risers, they rip

Barrry make bitchin heads, made in the USA at Edelbrock

Ed has a good head

If you like the Korean Heads, which I have seen, used and my tight pal BLAIR is doing great things with, get BLAIR on your heads maybe. He is a FE genius with many records and trophies to show you.  He, like many of us, was around race cars from birth and building in his teens. His decades of FE work have won and won at the drags.  He flat knows how to win and is so smart, he builds a lot of winners.

You have 3 great builders here, and Brent is a real nice guy who works hard, does a lot and is a gentleman

Have fun

I do use the same porters that SHELBY uses out here, don't forget BPE racing Heads, in Anaheim. They did hundreds of high perf FE heads for all of the new COBRAS sold until about a year ago.

Have fun

There is no replacement for displacement, but you need great heads, the power is easy when you build an FE big.  We did a 634 last year.   

Your 600 target can be also viewed like this.  FORD sold the first true race engines assembled, the 427 SOHC HEMI.  They were famous for making 600 HP out of the box, but, with 12.5-1 slugs, 600 lift cams,2- 4's and an intake port that easily flowed around 400 CFM. And they could rev to around 9000 in race trim. So to get there with a wedge, requires just what you are pondering...more inches, better style wedge heads,,,or

Good luck

I'd set a budget, save, and keep asking the gang for input.     I kind of feel that is it great to put heat back in to an old real 427 block, but try not to hurt it.  Built it well, and run it wisely, and it can last a long time.

I echo what the others say too. 600 HP is fun if you are a good river, know how to throttle steer, slide, 3 pedal her in the corners and all that?  Have fun

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 09:53:14 PM »
Kevin, good luck with your build. I will say that if I had access to a NOS 427 block for $4,000 when I started down the 390 stroker path I would have jumped at it, and I was putting it in a '69 F100 4WD. In a Cobra, honestly, anything less would seem disappointing. It is not quite as bad as seeing a SBC in a 30's Ford, but to see a small block in a vehicle with "427" on the fender, even if it is stroked out to 427 cubes, leaves me a little sad. An FE makes me happier, but a real 427 makes me smile.

Of course some of the boys here have had their hands on a lot of SOHC 427's, but when I saw the only one I've ever stood in front of I had to resist the urge to take off my hat and get on my knees.

Do the 427.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 10:04:15 PM by Yellow Truck »
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 10:06:20 AM »
That's cool Paul.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 08:52:59 AM »
given the string of bad luck and your situation....

I'd throw a dressed up junkyard 390 in there and drive the heck outta it.
In the meantime take your time and have Brent (or whoever) build you the engine you *want*

Nothing better than driving your car while building the monster engine, nothing worse than staring at a non running car while you wait years for the engine build finances to build up.  I hate a rushed project.

Good luck

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 11:19:51 AM »
2X to a cheapie build now to get behind the wheel. Why wait....the grim reaper could catch any of us tomorrow, eh?  :-\ :-\ :-\
Bob Maag

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 12:11:33 PM »
"the grim reaper could catch any of us tomorrow, eh?" lol

I don't have the funds to build a cheaply engine and save money for the higher dollar motor.
Wish I could,....wish I could !

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 01:59:54 PM »
Around here a running 390 is $500. 
Either way, good luck.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 03:58:03 PM »
i bought a 390 for 200 bucks one time and i put a comp cam,a 100 dollar used holley dp and a set of headers on it,and i had less than 700 dollars in the engine and it ran great in my old comet.i smoked alot of SBCs on the street with it.its still possible to get over 400 horses out of a 390 for under 1000 dollars if you can find a decent 390 to start with. jmo thats what i would do.you could be having fun in no time flat!
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2016, 04:06:09 PM »
"the grim reaper could catch any of us tomorrow, eh?" lol

I don't have the funds to build a cheaply engine and save money for the higher dollar motor.
Wish I could,....wish I could !

build what you got (427), and don't look back

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2016, 04:09:40 PM »
I agree.   :)

If I did get the NOS, I could stroke it and not molest the bore ?

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2016, 04:39:19 PM »
I agree.   :)

If I did get the NOS, I could stroke it and not molest the bore ?
i think some of us thought you already had the 427.i suggested the cheap 390 if you dont have a motor ready to run
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2016, 07:24:34 PM »
If you have been waiting this long, and you can lay hands on a 427 long block or short block, jump on it. Building cheap is great, I have a friend who is a champion junkyard builder, but if he had the money he'd be building a 427.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.