Author Topic: Dang it! Broken Connecting Rod  (Read 11856 times)

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
Dang it! Broken Connecting Rod
« on: April 11, 2012, 04:01:21 PM »
My wife Tracy and I went skiing in Colorado this past week.  What an incredible time!  I've always been an expert skier and enjoy bombing the black diamonds.  I demo'd some new high performance K2 AMP Rictor skis that were just the ticket for this challenging terrain.

Well this past Friday (Apr. 6th) was our last day.  It got warm and the snow conditions deteriorated to "mashed potato" slush with a nice dose of ice underneath.  It is pretty tiring to ski this slop, so I decided to knock off an hour early and meet Tracy and her sister down at the lodge for cocktails.  I chose an easy blue intermediate trail for the descent and headed off.

About 1/3 of the way down, I hit an unexpected patch of ice which sent me into the pile of slush I had been turning to avoid.  I wasn't going fast - maybe 20 mph, but the sideways hit was too much for my tired suspension to absorb.  I got knocked sideways and landed hard on my right hip.

OUCH - That hurt.  I was able after a while to untangle myself and gingerly get to the side of the trail for a systems check.  Nobody was around (since the smart ones had already gone in!)  I determined that my right hip was reasonably stable and could bear some weight.  I decided to gently ski down the easiest possible way back to the lodge.  Not a big deal, but i must have looked funny to the people on the chair lift!

Once I arrived at the lodge and sat down, I started thinking about that same hip, which I fractured five years ago riding off-road motorcycles.  The ortho at the time was whispering in my ear, "If you do anything to that hip again, get it checked immediately!"  Honestly it felt like a bad bruise, and if it was the other leg I probably would have gone home and numbed it with vodka drinks.  Fortunately I listened to the inner voice, and when Tracy arrived we arranged for the ski patrol to take me down to the Breckenridge clinic.

Here I am getting ready for the 300 yard ride to the clinic.  I thought it was ridiculous because I felt fine, but rulz is rulz:

Once in the clinic, I got all stripped down and waited for x-ray.  The paper shorts are a nice touch, eh?  I was still feeling confident that I'd be given a clean bill of health.  Notice the GoPro camera, unscathed of course!

Well, shortly after, I got the x-rays taken.  When the clinic physician pulled the first film out of the sleeve, he exclaimed, "WHOA!"  My shoulders slumped and I rolled my eyes in anticipation of the news.  Here is what he saw (with Tracy's finger modeling the area of interest).

That's the neck of my right femur.  It is actually fractured 3/4 of the way through, with a chunk knocked off the back for good measure.  It was sobering to think I had skied down the mountain on that.

The doctors became very urgent at this point and got a surgical team assembled at the neighboring hospital.  Fortunately in this part of the country they are very good at this type of work  ;D  I was out of surgery less than five hours after the fall.  With new titanium con rod bolts, they say I will be back to my full rev potential in eight weeks:

I must say they did an outstanding job.  I was out of the hospital Saturday and we flew home to California Sunday.  By Monday I was off the narcotic pain meds (what a cornucopia they gave me!!) and up on crutches.  Today I'm driving and getting around like it's no big deal.  As long as I stay on the straight and narrow, I'm expected to make a full and complete recovery.

Moral of the story:  When in doubt, get yourself checked.  If I hadn't gone in when i did, and got the fracture fixated within six hours of the injury, which restored the blood supply to my hip joint,  I would have been facing a hip replacement.

Touch of humor:  What did my 90-year old dad have to say about this?  "Son, after all of these years I thought you would have run out of stupid."   I love my dad, and it makes me smile to think I gave him so much pleasure to get one over on me.

A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

afret

Re: Dang it! Broken Connecting Rod
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 04:47:53 PM »
Wow, amazing how you skied down with that break.  Looks pretty bad on the radiograph.  Glad you got it taken care of so you can hit the slopes again.  Hope you heal up fully quickly and get back to normal without the crutches.

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 05:24:29 PM »
Ouch! I am amazed at how fast they took you to surgery.  Glad to hear they got you fixed up.
Now be careful! It seems I am always hearing of someone getting hurt skiing.

Edit to add I just noticed your avatar, somehow it seems appropriate. Sorry to hear of your misfortune.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 05:43:32 PM by rcodecj »

DaveShoe

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 06:29:04 PM »
You must be genetically predisposed to titanium.

I recall you telling me almost twenty years ago another high-horsepower story like that.   Congrats on the "lucky break" this time.

Shoe.

WConley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 06:34:17 PM »
 :o  I hadn't thought of the avatar thing.  Been there since the beginning.  I think it's perfect now.  Good catch!

Here's a side note:  The day before, I had glanced down at the change they handed me for a $6.00 cup of coffee at the summit lodge.  One quarter stood out from the others so I grabbed it before dropping the others into the tip jar.

It turned out to be a 1934 silver quarter!  Yeah it was well circulated, but when was the last time you saw one of those??  I decided that it was my lucky quarter and I'd keep it in my wallet from then on.

So what does the collective think?  My vote is that I am extremely fortunate to have come out of this OK.  I was doing something I love, and I will be able to do it again.  I think the quarter should stay  :)

Edit:  Hi Shoe!  Great to hear from you.  Yeah it's a tough way to build a commodities portfolio for retirement though...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:24:27 PM by WConley »

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 08:05:42 PM »
I would say you are one lucky SOB, Bill, but a lot of luck is made, and you sure made yours by being smart enough to get to the doctor just to be on the safe side.  I'll bet you put the wife in quite the tizzy over this.  I just about fell out of my chair when I read your dad's comment LOL!  There's a guy with some perspective.

Get well soon, buddy - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 09:26:40 PM »
So now when they wand you in the airport you'll be just like the guy in
the Enzyte commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JLPS2sHKew

WConley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 10:54:02 PM »
OK ScotiaFE - Now that right there is LOL funny!

Jay - Thanks for the good wishes.  Actually Tracy went into full crisis management mode as soon as I got the news.  Before I even thought of any loose ends, they were tied up.  New airline tickets, condo rental, rental skis, car to the airport.  It was an amazing thing to behold.  All I had to worry about was getting better fast.

I do not ever want to piss off this woman, lest that power be brought to bear against me!

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 12:13:57 AM »
Damn, Bill...Yer a lucky son-of-a-gun...Just remember Gettin' old ain't for sissies.

Kerry j

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 06:24:35 AM »
Sheesh Bill! Those X-rays give me the willies! You're one fortunate fella, both because you didn't do any more damage skiing down the hill with that cracked bone and to have access to such great care, both medical and personal... Gotta say, my better half is the same way.

Get healed up and take care of yourself; there's not enough good guys as it is, we need ya back in the game!

philminotti

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 07:05:54 AM »
You'll be fine.  As far as broken hips go, that's the fracture pattern you'd "want" to have.  It's called a valgus impacted femoral neck fracture and has a very high union rate, 90+%.  Also, the fact that you have good bone quality and are fit (and hopefully a nonsmoker) are huge factors in your favor.  Considering that a more displaced hip fracture is almost a guaranteed hip replacement, you are very lucky.  A VERY small percentage of these fractures go on to develop a problem called avascular necrosis (google it if you want), but it is extremely unlikely in your case.  The screw placement on your post-op films is textbook.

BTW, I'm an orthopaedic surgeon and I specialize entirely on hip and knee replacement.

Feel better.
phil

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 08:17:44 AM »
Metric or SAE bolts?  Wonder what the torque specs are...do they issue you a get out of jail free card for airport scanners?

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 09:05:45 AM »
man, that looks a lot like the break ole CaptBill had.
He was rounding a corner on his motorcycle at 50mph and hit a deer.  He wiped out in the woods.

He drove the 4hours home and tied up the ole bike and went to the dr's.  He broke his leg 80% of the way through.  (the very idea of using a broken leg to support a 800lb goldwing is nuts to me).
despite dr advice he got an air cast and came back to work offshore with us.  I think he is turning 67 in a little while....

you folks got to be careful, us young pups need you to keep us in line a little while longer.

WConley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 10:22:02 AM »
Thanks so much for the good wishes!

Still smooth sailing here.  No pain meds needed and I'm getting around just fine.  I thought I had good pain tolerance, but it sounds like ole CaptBill has me beat!  I hope everything has turned out well for him.  I once rode a 300 lb dirt bike back for 15 minutes on a broken leg, but four hours on a Gold Wing ???  :o 

The screws are 7mm Metric.  (Do I need to buy "TYPE R" stickers now and wear a baseball cap sideways??  I should have opted for the red anodized screws!)  I bet Phil could give some insight into the installation and torque procedures.  I imagine it has a lot to do with the patient's bone density.  The surgeon in CO explained to me that they position small guide wires using imaging equipment, then use the wires as pilots for a hollow-core drill that makes the big holes for the screws.  That's cool stuff!  (I was given the choice between a spinal and general anesthesia.  The nerd in me really wanted to check out what they were doing, but queasiness carried the day and I opted for the general.  Tracy also had a really hard time watching them stick the IV in me, so it gave her comfort knowing I'd be asleep for the procedure.)

Thanks for the synopsis Phil!  I appreciate your insight.  It jibes well with what I heard at the hospital.  No, I don't smoke and yes, I listen very attentively to a doctor's advice.  I take fitness very seriously and will do what ever I can to preserve my leg muscle mass and joint mobility.  I'm determined to have the best possible outcome, so I can still fool around with stock cast iron FE stuff.

No problems with the titanium screws at the airport.  I'm already a veteran since my facial bones and jaw are all tied together with titanium plates.  (That was 19 years ago in a car, the result of getting hit head-on at high speed.)

Drew - If you want somebody to keep you in line, get a wife like mine and Kerry's.  'Nuff said.  I wouldn't trade Tracy for the world.

Anyway,   I feel very fortunate to have so many good folks in my life.  Knowing that is the best antidepressant there is.  Thanks again!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 10:28:13 AM by WConley »

philminotti

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 11:45:38 AM »
Hi Bill

Here's some more gory details...the screws are 7.3 mm cannulated (hollow) screws.  As you can see, they have a very coarse and aggressive thread.  They're self tapping.  Guide wires are placed into the femoral head under xray image guidance and the screws are simply placed over the wires.  Like you guessed, torque depends on the bone quality, and is really a "feel" thing.  Elderly bone can be stripped very easily.  Your bone, I'm guessing, could handle a pretty firm hand. (That doesn't sound good, LOL)

The screws are commonly stainless, but titanium is an option.  The one benefit to titanium is that it's MRI compatible, but not for the reason that most people think.  Although MRI magnetic fields are very strong, some over 2 tesla, implants that don't migrate (firmly fixed in bone), whether they're ferromagnetic or not, are perfectly safe to MRI.  Even if the screws were stainless, they wouldn't migrate or heat up or any other nonsense you may hear.  Because titanium is nonferromagnetic, there is MUCH less image distortion than there would be with stainless.  The benefit of that is that if you ever need an MRI of that hip to look for certain complications (like AVN), the images would provide some information.

Ok, I'm done lecturing.
phil