Author Topic: Nice write up on Jay's Drag Week Mustang in new issue of Mustang Monthly  (Read 11974 times)

XR7

• View Profile
Congrats Jay! That is very cool making the cover. You worked your but off on that car and won drag week with it, built it yourself and deserve the recognition for all of it. I don't know how you get so much done and work a full time job.... your making the rest of us look bad! LOL. I only wish I could be 1/2 as productive as you are, no kidding.
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
I've never has any issues with Jay's site....ever. With all my many, many crazy posts, I'd have run into some issues but never have.

No true software expert here but...I'll venture it's your machine, browser, etc. In fact, if your machine (PC, laptop, pad) was initially loaded with Win 7 or Win 8 and you're now on Win 10, it's more likely its a Win 10 issue.

One easy way to tell: load or click on to Google's Chrome browser and open up this site. If all loads and works perfectly (as it should) it is either Win 10 or your older browser.   

It's a brand new Lap Top, only has W 10 in it. It's totally messed up. My old lap top had some mileage on it so I was very comfortable with it.
It took a direct hit. I need to upgrade my shoe phone now. ;)
Got it working. ::) ::) ::)

shady

• View Profile
give me a call, I'll be waiting under the cone of silence.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
It's a brand new Lap Top, only has W 10 in it. It's totally messed up.

Win10 browser is MS Edge.  I've tested it a bit, IMHO not ready for prime time.  Stick with Chrome or Firefox.  Very few issues with either.

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
Jay, who did the write up and who took the pictures for your MUSTANG MONTHLY feature?.....

Just wondering if the author's/photographer's do multiple-magazine features (Hot-Rod, Car-Craft, Mustang Monthly) while at events such as Drag Week or did a  solely  Mustang Monthly author/photographer show up at Drag Week?

Did they get all the tech facts correct?.......... you know like stating you run JC Whitney headers?

My friends Mustang when he got a cover - they scheduled a shoot and had him drive to the ocean for background

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
Based on what I know of the mag folks, they are almost all treated as freelance or very near.  See Mustang 360 - almost all those guys used to be "at a magazine" and now are "contributing editors" - meaning, maybe we'll call.   TEN pretty much threw everyone out a long while back.  Hot Rod, Street Rodder and maybe Car Craft are about the only ones I think still have a real staff more or less. 

Also check the forums off Mustang 360 - dead, some no posts in 2 years.

cammerfe

• View Profile
I've been on the masthead of several different magazines at different times, but it's always been on an independent contractor/commission basis. Most of the old magazines are gone but only a few of them ever had 'employees'.

KS

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Rob Kinnan wrote the article and Dominic Damato took the photos at the last day of Drag Week.  Rob is a former editor of Hot Rod, who I met at Drag Week 2005 and have stayed in touch with since.  He was laid off from Hot Rod quite a while back, but is now back with the "mother ship", as he calls it, as full time editor of Mustang Monthly.  Dom is a contract photographer. 

Rob and I had a nice talk on the phone back in March while he was writing the article.  He got all the details correct, although there was at least one typo in the article, where they said that support vehicles are permitted on Drag Week; should have said support vehicles are NOT permitted.  Overall though the article was very accurate.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Stangman

• View Profile
Congrats Jay it's always nice when after all the hard work someone appreciates your hard work. Was in the 2013 snap on calendar I believe in March it makes ya feel good. Your car is beautiful and a beast clone or not.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 10:42:55 PM by Stangman »

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
I talk to Mark Holulahan regularly (Ex Mustangs and Fords) -lots of great people that worked that field, hated to see them get hung out to dry.  Many are still working at it some how, which is good.  Jeff Ford is out there too, working hard on social media.

Rory428

• View Profile
A friend of mine has had 2 features published in RPM Magazine, a 6 page color article about our BS SuperShifter group in the April 2014 issue, and a similar size story about a local racers 8 second 67 Fairlane street car, with a SB Ford and Lenco, and his low 7 second Probe Comp Eliminator/fast bracket Probe, with a SB Ford and Liberty 5 speed. I`m not sure how Dan approached the magazine about submitting the stories, or if he got paid for them, but to me, they were both pretty well done. On the other hand, when we took my buddys "Pro Street" 67 Fairlane 500XL to the Sacramento CA "Street Machine Nationals West",in the early 80s, while we were in the entrance line up, There was a tap on the window, and an older guy in a Hot Rod Magazine shirt said, "Hi, I`m Gray Baskerville, and I would like to do a feature story on this car". Gray and another photographer had Rick drive his Fairlane to a large open field, and they spend a couple of hours shooting photos while Rick filled out a multipage story questionaire. His Fairlane was featured in a 2 page all color spread in the August 1984 issue of Hot Rod. (it was also featured in Auto Buff Magazine,(who remembers that mag?), and had a photo in Car Craft. I always envisioned working at a car magazine had to be the ultimate job in the 60s and 70s, drag testing all the new muscle cars, building cool project cars, going to all the great car shows and races, AND getting paid for it all!! I guess that I thought that they had weekly meetings with a group of 10 or 20 hardcore car nuts , about different builds, races, and trends, no idea if it ever was that cool in real life. Back in those days, there were a bunch of magazine writers many of us idolized, guys like Terry Cook, Leonard Emanualson, Rick Vogelian, Norman Mayerson, CJ Baker, Lee Kelly, Steve Collison, Neil Britt, etc. I guess the car mag biz was much different in the "good old days." At one time, I used to subscribe to 6 or 7 car magazines every month, now a days, I thumb thru them at the magazine stand, and rarely buy more than 5 or 6 issues a year. Between the high cost, and topics of little interest to me, the vast majority go back on the shelf. I must not be alone, as I have noticed the car mag selection has been drastically reduced in recent years, which is sad, but I don`t feel like shelling out 8 bucks to read about 80000 HP junkyard turbo LS1 swaps, "Pro Touring" older musclecars, the lastest Ring Bros pussyfying of a classic Mustang, or another WestTech story where they test 80 HP carb spacers, 30 HP rocker arms, or 200 HP camshafts. I am sure there are still some legitimate stories of interest, but the BS outnumbers those, and most of the pages are nothing but ads and fluff. Kinda sad.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

KMcCullah

• View Profile
Neat Jay!  8) I'll have to look for it at my newsstand. I'm with Rory though, no more subscriptions for me. Haven't had one ever since Super Ford went under.
Kevin McCullah

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
>>as I have noticed the car mag selection has been drastically reduced in recent years

TEN purged a bunch of titles a few years ago.  Killed off a lot including Rod & Custom, Mustangs and Fords, rolled 5.0 into Super Fords, etc.

>Auto Buff Magazine,(who remembers that mag?
Sweet - I remember.  But not the cars that were in it.... ;)

>the lastest Ring Bros pussyfying of a classic Mustang
High five

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
I remember Auto Buff!  Used to buy it at the speed shop, until they had to quit carrying it because too many customer would just come in to read the magazine and then leave LOL!
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

machoneman

• View Profile
Yep, Since SuperFord no more subscriptions for me either!
Bob Maag