Author Topic: CRAZY 360 Backyard Build~  (Read 27283 times)

Nightmist66

• View Profile
Re: CRAZY 360 Backyard Build~
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 09:34:11 PM »
Had always heard that a cast cam and a geardrive is something you wanted to stay away from.Any truth to that?

We have never had a problem with the Pete Jackson setup in any of our motors. Always run hard on street and track. Just my two pennies worth......
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 09:17:28 AM »
I've had a similar thought going through my head as this and Brent's build.......only with some changes.

~Run a standard 390 block, 4.06 bore or so.
~361T steel crank, offset ground to hopefully a 3.3" stroke (I'm not sure how much those cranks can take).
~Combination would be somewhere between 340 and 350 cubes
~Long rods, 6.8" or even 7.1" if the pistons aren't crazy
~Proport Edelbrock heads, ported with very small ports
~Not sure what intake, fuel injection though
~Turbo

The goal would be to make a 500 horse gas sipper motor that could go in my Galaxie for road trip use, and maybe even the power tour? The gas mileage would be the most paramount design consideration, power output would be secondary.

I like seeing this small displacement stuff, it keeps my mind churning.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 09:35:12 AM »
That's the thing....

It's either going to be a high strung engine with no power down low, or you'd have to accentuate it with forced induction to give it some bottom end. 

That's another reason I put mine on the back burner:  once it's done, it's not really valuable to any certain individual, unless an EMC entry comes open that it would apply for.  The main reason I started it was to experiment....and of course trying to make big hp with little displacement helps you learn things.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 10:14:38 AM »
Being a poor farm boy I would like to see the effects of of the aforementioned piston used as is, with stock 360 crank and rods for practical pickup truck use. Not my build or money and I still very much enjoy the idea! Just would like to see the difference for my own curiosity, an apples to apples test. Nothing changed except for the piston. Maybe I will have the need to freshen a 360 one of these days and when that happens I will be looking again at these pistons.

The build I believe has already strayed into custom, although still budget minded but who happens to have a 360 crank laying around cut for bbc rods?

Just thinking out loud pay no attention to me lol :P

FElony

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 02:41:57 PM »
That's the thing....

It's either going to be a high strung engine with no power down low, or you'd have to accentuate it with forced induction to give it some bottom end.

Uh, so no 347's or 351's have power down low? All high strung engines that never put out enough to necessitate traction mods? Really?

Which brings me too... Is there a target recipient for this CRAZY build? Weight, gears, trans?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 03:00:47 PM »
"No power down low" is a relative phrase.

A souped up 352 is going to do good to make 475-500 hp and it will take a lot of rpms to do it.  Anytime you stretch the rpms out, you move the curve to the right, taking away from the bottom end power.  We are used to 390's/427's/428's/445's with broad horsepower and torque curves.  Ain't gonna happen with a high strung 352/360.

Trust me, I'm a small engine kinda guy....I like the 289's, Boss 302's, etc.  However, it takes a lot more effort to make horsepower with them and it takes some chassis/trans/rearend mods to make them work efficiently.

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

FElony

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 03:05:43 PM »
The build I believe has already strayed into custom,

No kidding. Let's build the 352 that should have been in the 1966 Falcon Sprint to do battle against the 350-horse TurboFire 327 Nova, had Ford clue one. Alloy intake from same year 428PI. -AA solid cam. C0-D small chamber heads. 10.5 compression, CJ valve sizes, open element air cleaner, Holley and well-curved dual point.

Easy? Sure. May have to run tubular shorties or something because of the heads. Factory 6V or 8V? Maybe. Fun? What do you think...

FElony

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 03:10:45 PM »
"No power down low" is a relative phrase.

A souped up 352 is going to do good to make 475-500 hp and it will take a lot of rpms to do it.  Anytime you stretch the rpms out, you move the curve to the right, taking away from the bottom end power.  We are used to 390's/427's/428's/445's with broad horsepower and torque curves.  Ain't gonna happen with a high strung 352/360.

Trust me, I'm a small engine kinda guy....I like the 289's, Boss 302's, etc.  However, it takes a lot more effort to make horsepower with them and it takes some chassis/trans/rearend mods to make them work efficiently.

Argh. Why 475-500 horsepower? How about 400? Again, if you can build mid-range into a 351, why not a 352? Cap it at 6 grand and have something you can actually drive around.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 03:19:33 PM »
Well, I guess in my mind, if I'm going to the trouble of building a 352, I want it to be slightly impressive.  If I wanted to have 400 hp and 6000 rpm, I'd probably just reach for a 390. :)
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 03:34:33 PM »
Talk if cheap.  I have a 91 LX coupe with 306 cubic inches, stock non ported heads, non ported Cobra intake, 24# injectors, F-303 camshaft and shorty headers that puts 293 hp to the rear wheels.  If you can do that with a small engine that only has heads that flow 169 cfm max, then it should be easy to build a 352 +.030 = 357 FE that has some GRUNT.  The LX will break the tires loose in just about any driving situation on the street.  So just how much do you need for street duty?  Build the 352 and lets compare.  I will build a 357 W on the cheap with "junk, used" parts and put it on the dyno for comparison.  You tell me what parts for the windsor, and I get to help with the parts choice for the 352 FE.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

FElony

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 03:46:09 PM »
Well, I guess in my mind, if I'm going to the trouble of building a 352, I want it to be slightly impressive.  If I wanted to have 400 hp and 6000 rpm, I'd probably just reach for a 390. :)

But 390's have been done already. 400 hp is slightly more than a stock 428CJ. Do you realize how many 360's are languishing out there? I have three by accident. If somebody produced the right piston, and an example of a decent build was on vid, the door would open to an untapped segment of the hobby.

See the part list on the theoretical Falcon motor above. What hp do you that would make?

FElony

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 03:50:52 PM »
Talk if cheap.  I have a 91 LX coupe with 306 cubic inches, stock non ported heads, non ported Cobra intake, 24# injectors, F-303 camshaft and shorty headers that puts 293 hp to the rear wheels.  If you can do that with a small engine that only has heads that flow 169 cfm max, then it should be easy to build a 352 +.030 = 357 FE that has some GRUNT.  The LX will break the tires loose in just about any driving situation on the street.  So just how much do you need for street duty?  Build the 352 and lets compare.  I will build a 357 W on the cheap with "junk, used" parts and put it on the dyno for comparison.  You tell me what parts for the windsor, and I get to help with the parts choice for the 352 FE.  Joe-JDC

I hope you're talking to Brentley, 'cuz I'm not building anything this year. I have all the parts to build the Falcon engine I mentioned. I even have the '66 Falcon to put it into, an AZ car with no dings or rust. You guys first.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2016, 04:07:33 PM »
Who you calling out, Joe?  Not sure what your post meant.

FElony, the pistons are the easy part....

Wasn't there an HP 352 back in the day?  Shouldn't be hard to make 1-1.1 hp per cube with non oddball stuff.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

FElony

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2016, 04:33:45 PM »

Wasn't there an HP 352 back in the day?  Shouldn't be hard to make 1-1.1 hp per cube with non oddball stuff.

Then make a run of proper deck height pistons and market them. The rest will follow.

The heads I mentioned before are from the HP352. Fish heads.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 04:35:17 PM by FElony »

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2016, 04:46:29 PM »
Who you calling out, Joe?  Not sure what your post meant.

I think there was a 360hp 352 in 1960 i believe so there you have it over 1 hp /cuin "stock"

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it