Author Topic: 64 FRED LORENZEN CAMMER CAR  (Read 12502 times)

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: 64 FRED LORENZEN CAMMER CAR
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2016, 10:18:49 PM »
I would bet a couple dollars that the 64 Gal in the magazine article was the same one that was sold to Gordo Cooper for $1 for publicity, and he drove it for an extended period on the street

The Gordon Cooper car was a 1966 Galaxie, so it's not the same car as the '64 in the Cars magazine article. Copies of internal Ford documents ( maybe belonging to Dennis K.? ) have been posted on the other forum and the internet that include the Cooper car's VIN.

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2016, 10:46:11 AM »
ahh schidt, what was I thinking- of course the Gordo car was a '66

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2016, 12:49:53 PM »
When the cammer was first being talked about, I had some contacts at EEE that made it possible for me to slowly accumulate the parts to put an engine together. Remember that the earliest plans were to offer a 'kit' that would convert to OHC. My stuff was early enough to have the low plug placement. I never did get everything together and when I moved I sold the parts for a nominal sum---even  at that time. :(

KS

HolmanMoodyStroppeGang

Magazines versus build sheets
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2016, 03:50:31 PM »
Sorry we have been racing and busy,   Thanks for the emails, calls and comments here. The guys get the news from us and it is very nice,

Over on the old forum we explained about magazines, and how the FORD teams told people enough to,,,,insert joke,,,be dangerous, or enough to kind of get a glimpse, but in no way at all, how we built the engines inside, or what key parts helped the FE run better,  None of it was for sale, or available unless FORD backed you and you had HM or HMS doing your work, under a deal with Detroit

Putting the methods in a magazine was against all rules, because it helped the competition out fox you

The build of the SOHC Daytona car is in no book, it is in our data base and FORD's, and of course, old Bobby S, Bruce, Art,Mike,Jr and a few others were there, and a small gang who re did the same builds for the following years, had the mentors guiding each piece, and we sold these builds, to later owners.

This engine was thoroughly blue printed by changing certain parts and specs.  Cams were a big deal and we had 5 vendors, plus many selections from Detroit,,,,we call those X cams and we still have a big crate of FE X cams.

The early SOHCs got the heads ported, the intake matched, the pistons reworked, domes, oiling and often, lightening....rods got fussed with, the big end dimensions reduced often, more crush, lots of oil pump work, we ran more pressure than many, the blocks were relieved in a special way, trick for the era and all dyno tested, and Detroit, HM, and HMS moved the cam timing a lot to look for best power in a given RPM range.   Yes, the cams did get strobed

Ford was so trick, we actually built a test cell, shared with SHELBY, that measure crank shaft deflection under high load.....

Primitive by todays standards but accurate in what it observed.

Very nice articles shared by C5.  He has a nice archive and our original hope was to share our archives with more authors since few had access to get in to our place, and few were in that shop then due to FORDS secrecy agreements.  Even when we had about 135 men, talking out of school was a major no no,,,,,like, your fired bad.

ISKY,CROWER,ENGLE,HOWARD,MOON and MADDEN ground hundreds of special SOHC cams for many classes out West,, and CRANE made awesome sticks, and even had a nice shop here for some time, Crane Cams West. 

You have to remember this, well we respect it a lot.  The great OHIO GEORGE had the ultimate A Gas Gasser. His Willys with a SOHC was a dominant car that killed the Dodge boys in droves. He set the standard for a well dressed, professional crew and rig too. He was the fastest of the Gassers, and won so much, using ISKY cams for his SOHC.   Old ED has all of the specs still, and his boys still do a lot of SOHC cams,   I send them crane billets to get re ground to a nostalgia lobe profile sometimes.

Many are still around and we hope the hard work from back when can get passed won for the future FE racers. That is kind of why we started posting, and to respect the old Ford guys

Must note, by 68,9, 70, general Kinetics had some awesome SOHC cams, as did others,,,,Lunati is awesome.  DYNO DON won with General Kinetics cams in some of his engines, and with CRANES in others.

The chassis was all in house here, at Stroppe. This was before Holman merged with us.

The key chassis guys did it as I described before, Bruce and Bobby have a lot to share here, for later

This car is a 'tribute',,not a 100 point resto.

It has Art Chrismans finger prints on it too, he worked for us, running the famed AUTOLITE Dyno inside our complex. Art is a old friend of many of our guys and we all raced nostalgia for decades too. What a great guy.  Sold his old race cars for millions a few years back.  Told me he wanted to have some money for the grandkids futures to be better.

Art was our neighbor, so was Jack, in the 60's.  North Long Beach had a lot of local Drag cars, a big Service center Speed Shop, LAKEWOOD industries, and Stroppes, reath, Venolia, Delta Crank, all the magneto guys, MickeyThompsons, and many others. He and Jack did it all.

And better than most.  Art is getting better and a wonderful man. He was at a recent event, in a chair. He is improving and well cared for.  Our Bobby Spears is a close friend, so we get the news.  Art loves my kid brother, calls him,,,Beau..cool

Lots for later

OH,,,,Mr Bikini foto boy vanished,,,,must have jumped the shark or something....think the talent cooked his lens or something  hahahahaa

We have a veterans charity we fund and provide offices for. The girls were at this event, maybe 20 helpers, and they were all so pretty too....if we get time, we will add the bikini gals,,,,too fun and funny,    Nitro A Go-Go......ha ha

Thanks guys

Email me questions if it can help ya build a faster FE

Please give me, and my pals, a while to reply

Thanks JAY for running a very productive and thought provoking site here

The 57 SOHC Ranchero is running,,,,more on it as time allows.

This Stock Car,,,,has pulled up next to a lot of local sports cars tooling down Pacific Coast Highway...rattling their poor expensive windows a bit, poppin away on race gas.  Then blowing their fancy pants doors off, old school.  Boy that ruins Joe Porsche's Sunday,,,,

FORD tough......smokin 'em hard for Henry (Ford)

See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya'    Have some SOHC smoke and all that....just hilarious...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 04:32:09 PM by HolmanMoodyStroppeGang »

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2016, 11:16:23 PM »
"Next reveal SOHC 57 Ranchero"....This I got'a see. 8)
There has been a white 57 Ranchero with a 427 SOHC engine and 4 speed driving around the Northwest for many years now. Among his many well known SOHC powered cars, including at least 2 street rods, a pulling truck,  the "Assassin" AA/FD Nitro Cammer, Greens white 57 Ranchero is regularily seen parked nearby the Top Fuel Cammer. Quite a sleeper that Ranchero, stock body with narrow tires , complete with "spinner" wheel covers and whitewall tires. Many would expect to find something like a 312 with3 2 barrel carbs, instead, when the stock flat hood is open, wall to wall Cammer! A couple of years ago, at the Seattle NHRA National event, I even saw die hard MoPar Pro Stock racers Roy and Allen Johnson spending quite a bit of time eyballing the car, er truck.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH