Author Topic: thoughts on FITECH EFI  (Read 49577 times)

bartlett

• View Profile
thoughts on FITECH EFI
« on: April 13, 2016, 09:06:04 AM »
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a fitech efi system. I'm looking at the 30008 Meanstreet setup. Lots of reviews and 99% are great. I konw there is some crazy smart efi guy's on this site so I'm looking for some input positive or negative. The carb I have now is slightly to small (750) and only has 2 corner air fuel ajustment and My motor would do better with 4 corner.  SO insted of a carb,Im thinking EFI ....

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: thoughts on FITECH EFI
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 10:37:07 AM »
If you go EFI you'll never go back, IMO.  Tunability is awesome; nothing like changing jets or timing with a keyboard.  I am not familiar with the Fitech system though...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 11:28:44 AM »
As far as high horsepower race type stuff, what's the best efi system's to start looking at ?
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 11:41:59 AM »
Fitech seems like a nice self learning system .... I like the separate fuel module that consist of a fuel reservoir with internally pressure controlled fuel pump .... basic plumb your current fuel pump (mechanical or electric) to the fuel module , then the module feeds the throttle body rail .... you don't have to redesign your fuel system to install this system .... they were priced real reasonable , don't know if they gone up since the introduction ??

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 11:50:00 AM »
These were at SEMA and the MSRP was around 75% of the other self-learning TBI manufacturers. I did some searching when we got back from SEMA to see why they were able to do the same thing for cheaper, I couldn't find any reviews. It'd be nice to see someone post up a review on one.

If nothing else, I'm hoping they drive down the cost of the other systems.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 12:03:22 PM »
I talked at length with the FI Tech guys just recently. I had my Mustang at the Street Machine Nationals here in Pomona, California, and they had a vendor booth. What really caught my eye was that they had twin throttle bodies on a roots blown '57 Chevy. The first question I asked, of course, was how come the other guys say you can't run the throttle body injection on a roots blower but they can?
The owner of the company said it was just a question of metering and they have map sensors for all applications. OK.

How come your stuff is so much cheaper than the other guys stuff? Really, the owner said, the question is why is the other guys system so expensive...especially since we share so many vendors for our systems. Holley is claiming that they have a $995 system, but so far it's a no-show.

The systems they have are pretty appealing to me, especially the roots dual throttle body set up. We'll see.

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 12:19:31 PM »
$100 rebate has be thinking about it too.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/fif-30002

Riskit1234

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 01:48:14 PM »
I've been reading a lot about the FITech systems and that leads me to read about self learning systems in general. There is ALOT more to this then bolting on and being happy. I'll link a great article people newer to efi may find very helpful.   Things to remember.... What vacuume the motor makes, cam over lap to name a few.
I have a guy who bought the 1200hp FITech and LOVED it out of the box but had problems that he couldn't work out. He was using a 383 with a big cam. In the end (chased raw voltage power / fuel ) in the end his motor was at like 9" of vacuume.

Now, that guy is all about pretty chrome stuff and to be honest a pain in the a$$ but I'm just making the point there is a little to it.  Mild motor with mild cam = awesome easy set up.

SORRY: not sure if I have the link correct: http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/threads/before-you-buy-any-self-learning-efi-system-please-read.25608/ 

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 02:08:38 PM »
That is an excellent link, and so, so true!  An EFI system that you tune yourself, rather than relying on a cookbook algorithm like those found in the self tuning systems, easily gets around this issue. 
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 02:12:26 PM »
As far as high horsepower race type stuff, what's the best efi system's to start looking at ?

I like Megasquirt.  I've used FAST, EMS-Pro, and Megasquirt systems, and the Megasquirt systems are the most versatile and easiest to use, in my opinion.  I've heard people say good things about BigStuff 3 systems also, but I think they are quite a bit more expensive than the Megasquirt stuff.  I am using an MS3X on my Shelby clone and am upgrading this year to an MS3-Pro for the additional features; also plan to run an MS3-Pro on my turbo engine (whenever I get that one finished...).  Also run an MS3X on the high riser in my Mach 1.  Couldn't be happier with those systems.
Jay Brown

stangbuilder

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 05:33:43 PM »
Heres the first question to ask is does your motor make 10in vacuum if not stay away from self learn system.I have the fast xfi sportsman unit lap top tune able. Do not believe the suppliers if they tell you that their unit works under 10 ins vacume. One side note for you .If you have dual plane manifold change it to a open plenum manifold. If you go with the throttle body unit..fuel distribution issues..lean -rich cyds  Heres the one big issue with xfi units you really need to do dyno tune car on rollers$$$$$$$$$$.Then street tune..  To really get them right..So at the end of the day they are bad ass if you can think of it you can do it..By the way look at holly unit dual o2s..If i had to over thats the one i would get in a heart beat.They are like 1k more

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 06:28:53 PM »
This stuff sounds way cool to me.. I can see where it would truly be the way go.
Once I figure out the rotary phone and how to work a VCR I may just haveta look into it a bit more.  :o
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 07:55:35 PM »
I have been watching these too. They look attractive. I believe Holley is coming out with a competitor soon, Sniper I think its called. I would like something that is self learning but also user customisable. Because I am in Australia my 390 only makes 7" of vacuum......... ;D

stangbuilder

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 10:39:46 PM »

Ya they are why cool.. but not for everyone the plug and play unit IE learning system.Will hands down work better then any carb .I have this on a 477in street deal . I had a pro systems 950 on it before.I had tweaked it  the best i could do..At the end of the day i will never run a carb again on the street.There is no comparison IMO....For a old guy 61 getting used to tweaking my car with a lap top instead of a screw driver is a new deal but i got to say its bad ass deal i love it   Fyi the fast unit programmable will cost you about 4-5 k with a good return system with pump in tank.. a remote tuner will cost you another 6-700 bucks if they remote tune... its 12-1500.00  to roll it..So beware..

i put a mike jones stick in mine 242-248 at 50 with 112-114 l/c its right at 9-10 in vacume

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 10:56:33 PM »
The Sniper is already out! I just sent an email to FI and the vacuum issue. We will see... JMHO
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
Hillside Auto- Custom Curved, Blueprinted Distributors
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE