Author Topic: New forum looks great!  (Read 3491 times)

plovett

New forum looks great!
« on: April 10, 2011, 07:23:52 AM »
Your new forum looks great, Jay!  Hopefully I'll be able to post something useful sometime.

Blow 'em away with the SOHC Drag Week Shelby!    ;D

paulie
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 07:26:32 AM by plovett »

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: New forum looks great!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 10:17:47 AM »
Glad you like it, Paulie.  When I went shopping around for forums, I really wanted to find one similar to the FE Forum, that didn't bump new posts up to the top of the page like all the other forums seem to, and that also kept the different branches of a thread separate.  I really like those two features.  But I couldn't find anything like that, so I ended up with this one.  This forum software is kind of growing on me, though, and I know a lot of other people prefer software like this, so we'll see how it goes.  

I'd be interested in anyone else's opinion on this, by the way.  To be a little more specific, what I notice on forums where a new comment under a topic bumps the topic to the top of the page is that the topics tend to wander from the original intent.  For example, the original question might be about a rear end gear ratio, but then someone starts talking about leaf springs and Cal-Tracs vs. coilovers and a four link, and pretty soon that discussion takes over the topic.  So, the topic is labeled "rear end gear ratio", but most of the comments are directed at a suspension question.  On the FE Forum or other forums where the topic is not continually returned to the top of the list, there is usually a second topic posted about rear suspensions in this case, keeping the topics themselves more focused.

Also, the tree structure of forums like the FE Forum make it easy to respond directly to a particular response in a topic, rather than responding to topics as a whole.  With forums like this one, if you want to respond to another response that is 4-5 responses back, you either have to quote that message to be clear what you are responding to, or you take the risk that your response is misinterpreted.  The tree structure forums don't have this issue.

Comments pro or con?  Not that it matters much, because I'm pretty much stuck with this forum style due to my web site hosting provider.  Which is fine, because I like this style too, for different reasons.

One other thing I'm really looking forward to with this forum is to provide a technical archive for FE and FE car related information.  I was going to just make this FE engine related, with most dyno results (see the Dyno Results tab under the main fepower.net web site for a start at this).  But I've had a couple people suggest I broaden the scope of that to include general technical topics as well as just engine topics.  I like that idea, so if I can get a good archive of information put together over the next several months, hopefully it will be useful to a lot of people.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:36:52 AM by jayb »
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

plovett

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 01:23:31 PM »
My opinion is that the format of the forum is not critical as long as it's practical and user-friendly.  There are pros and cons to each format.  Your's looks good and very useable.   I think people can adjust to most forum types.   The most important thing, in my opinion, is the content.  I have no doubt that the content will be very good here. 

In my opinion the content should stay primarily FE-oriented.  If you had a sub-forum for general tech I think that would be good.

paulie

falcon428

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 06:39:36 PM »
Hello to everyone,

Glad to see the start to another great FE forum,  Jay I agree with your observation of fordFe.coms layout and topics staying on track better, but honestly I always figured that was more do to the quality of the people posting on that forum, and the fact that they stay on people that get off track.  I had been on other forums of that type that seemed to get off topic easily.  Personally I like this type of layout, I dont like gettting lost on page 2.  I often dont have much time to check forums I frequent and I like being able to quickly search threads i am active in, and I like forums that allow me to subscribe to threads of interest to me.  On FordFe.com I tend to forget some of the threads I am interested in reading and have commented on, its a case of Old-timers I think, maybe having too many irons in the fire at one time.

I agree with the above, what truely makes a good forum is the quality of the people and the information offered.  I can adapt to any type of forum if the information is worth doing so. 

Thanks Jay for all the hardwork in name of the FE, and for giving us a new place to hangout. 
'65 Mercury Comet w/ Pond Alum. 427, C6
'61 Ford Starliner w/ 352, C6
'68 Falcon w/ ProCharged FE, Lenco 5sp
'67 Country Sedan SW
'62 Falcon awaiting turbocoupe motor & tranny
'40 Ford Tudor Sedan all original