Author Topic: What cam should I choose?/power making advice  (Read 3043 times)

Caydoncym

• View Profile
What cam should I choose?/power making advice
« on: March 22, 2016, 01:46:19 AM »
I'm boring my 390 block out .030 and have a stock 4 barrel intake and stock heads. I'm looking for a loud cam that doesn't really have to be drivable but still drivable. Lol. Just going to be a truck to drive around town and break people's necks.

If you need more information just ask. Cause I'm just getting into cars. Also would appreciate any other power making advice.

Right now I have a stock c6 with a tran go shift kit. Planning on buying 3rd member with a locker and 4.30 gears. Also have 29 in tall Hoosier drag slicks.

And way in the future when I have lots of money. Lol. I'll buy a stroker kit.
~Caydoncym~

falcongeorge

• View Profile
Re: What cam should I choose?/power making advice
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 01:52:39 PM »
No one seems to want to break the ice here so I will. Once they get going, you will get 10 guys suggesting a comp 280H, I will go in a different direction. I'd go with an Isky 280 megacam. Both are close to the same duration, the comp is 230@050, the Isky is 232, but the isky has a lot more lift (.565 at the valve), and more important IMO, its on a 108 LSA instead of 110. Both the Comp and the Isky are .842 "chevy" lobes, you can do better by going to a custom grind form Bullet from their line of .875 lobes, but for an off the shelf cam, I like the Isky. If you go with a custom grind, I would tighten the LSA even more.
Oh, and its gonna need a looser converter. I'd do a converter long before I started worrying about strokers.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 02:06:50 PM by falcongeorge »

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 03:03:58 PM »
One other thing you should do, especially as a newby to FE's, buy Jay's book, and I'm not just saying that because its his forum, you will learn a LOT from it.
http://fepower.net/GFEIC.html

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 03:15:12 PM »
Hey how about a Thumpr?  I'm sure everybody has 6 different cams they would run before they would even try a Thumpr but I think as long as your keeping everything stockish, Comps smallest FE Thumper grind would give you a nice sound with a 107 LSA. It's a sacrifice type of grind though. Your giving up some low rpm torque for a stronger mid-range. And a panty wetting idle of course.  ::)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-33-600-5/overview/make/ford

And for the record here... I'm using this same cam in a fairly tame 416 that I'm building. 10.5 C/R Will have it on the chassis dyno soon.

Kevin McCullah

plovett

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 05:30:29 PM »
I think a Comp 280 Magnum would work good.

Okay, just kidding!   :P   A 280H Magnum WOULD work fine with a mild stall convertor.  Say in the 2400-2800 rpm range.

Still my pic is the Crower 280 Hydraulic Hauler.  It's 224/232 @0.050", .549/.550" lift, with a 108 LSA.

http://www.crower.com/camshafts/ford-332-428-hi-draulic-hauler-cam-280-hdp.html

It would like a mildly upgraded convertor, as well.

If you want a cam that will work well with a stock converter I think you need to drop the duration @ 0.050" down around 212-216 degrees. 

JMO,

paulie

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 06:06:20 PM »
I think a Comp 280 Magnum would work good.

Okay, just kidding!   :P   A 280H Magnum WOULD work fine with a mild stall convertor.  Say in the 2400-2800 rpm range.

Still my pic is the Crower 280 Hydraulic Hauler.  It's 224/232 @0.050", .549/.550" lift, with a 108 LSA.

http://www.crower.com/camshafts/ford-332-428-hi-draulic-hauler-cam-280-hdp.html

It would like a mildly upgraded convertor, as well.

If you want a cam that will work well with a stock converter I think you need to drop the duration @ 0.050" down around 212-216 degrees. 

JMO,

paulie

That one sounds pretty good, one step milder than the Isky. Dont get a Thumpr, seriously. There is no reason in hell to add an extra 10 degrees of exhaust split just to made it idle worse, The 107 LSA will work good in a mild low compression FE, but if you want a 107 LSA cam, get a proper one from Bullet or someone with a 8 degree split, not a exhaust event with a 17 degree split just to sound bad-ass. It wont gain a LICK of performance over a properly speced  230ish cam on a 106 or 107 lsa and a reasonable split, and it will kick the ever-loving crap out of the bottom of the torque curve and the part throttle fuel economy. The Isky I recommended with have a healthy rump, any 230ish hyd on a 106-108 LSA will. And it will make more torque than the Thumpr. Any more than a 8 degree split does nothing but make noise and hurt torque.
And dont get me wrong, I dont HATE the 280H, I just think the Isky fits the same window, and has an edge, especially in an engine thats a little light on compression.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 06:16:16 PM by falcongeorge »