Author Topic: Y-Block Magazine column  (Read 2527 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Y-Block Magazine column
« on: March 19, 2016, 04:54:02 PM »
My friend JC writes a column for Y-Block magazine called "Yestertech/The Y Files", and the January/February column covered the Engine Masters contest.  I found it extremely entertaining!  Here are a few excerpts; comments in brackets [] are mine:

"What's this?  A Y-Block on the cover of Hot Rod Magazine?  It's...it's the end of days, swarms of locusts will soon appear, the sky is falling."

"60 plus years in the making.  Yeah, it was extra-citing at first, but was it necessary to point out SIX TIMES [in the Hot Rod article] that Jon Kaase's former Y-Block has a scrub [Chevrolet] intake on it?  Last October Jon was quick to point out that the side-by-each vertical ports is not a scrub invention, Olds, Caddy, Studebaker and Lincoln had them years before the Johnnie-come-lately, me-too, look-alike followed suit.  It would have been a good thing to repeat what Jon said to educate all the slack-jaws out there."

"Ted Eaton's True Blue Y-Block put on an amazing display of power and torque using a common dual plane single four intake, practically off-the-shelf headers,and readily available parts for the rest of the engine.  Royce Brechler bought the Schoenfeld 1.75" stepped to 1.875" headers from Speedway and I welded on the Y-Block flanges.  Piece of cake and very reasonable."

"Ted's Y-Block, without the the sex-change, produced 92% of what "Caitlin - Y" produced and that was with a last minute unfortunate need to use a cam intended for rpm well past the mandated 6,000.  Horsepower per cubic inch:  Ted - 1.497, Jon - 1.460."

Lots more good stuff in that column, and also in the magazine.  In case anyone is interested, Y-Block Magazine has been around for 23 years, US subscriptions are $33.50 for six issues per year, contact yblockmag@yahoo.com for more details.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
Re: Y-Block Magazine column
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 06:01:23 PM »
Yes, Ted Eaton's engine had a camshaft change at the last minute after a bearing issue and lobe going south.  Unfortunately the power band was now 6800 rpm instead of 6000.  At 6800 rpm, the engine made 594 hp with that same combination, and 599.4 with a different manifold.  Ted's engine made 8 pulls in the 35 minutes.  Jerry C. has a sense of humor for sure.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

57 lima bean

Re: Y-Block Magazine column
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 08:25:10 AM »
"Ted's Y-Block, without the the sex-change, produced 92% of what "Caitlin - Y" produced"   Hilarious!! I am a believer in the Jaridian way.I hope he Can take it with him. :) It should read Jeridian
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 12:22:20 PM by 57 lima bean »