Author Topic: A little more progress on the 'Stang  (Read 4360 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
A little more progress on the 'Stang
« on: March 13, 2016, 09:29:56 PM »
Hopefully this was the final pass on the quarters. I'll have to wait until that sprayable filler dries and I hit it with the flat board again before I'm sure, though.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 09:42:58 PM by AlanCasida »

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: A little more progress on the 'Stang
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 07:48:39 PM »
Looking good, Alan! Now is the time you definitely don't want to rush the job. I always cringe a little when I see wavy cars, knowing that with just a little patience and some block sanding it could have all been straight as an arrow. Are you going with a basecoat/clear paint, or a single stage?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 10:33:37 PM »
Thanks, Doug. I am trying to be patient. This is my first time trying to paint a complete car and I am in a little over my head but there's no turning back now! I plan on using basecoat/clearcoat.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 09:50:04 AM »
Base/clear is more expensive, but it sure gives you leeway if you make a mistake. Looking forward to your progress!
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
+1 on base coat / clear coat.  The color is really easy to spray, and with the good clears available now you can buff out orange peel or runs in the clear within a day or two.  Looking forward to seeing the finished product, especially under the hood LOL!
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

mike7570

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 03:47:35 PM »
What color did you decide on?

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 08:51:32 PM »
Just a recommendation, as your first complete, may want to have someone walk around it and look and maybe rub their hand over the panels too.  Could save you from something showing that can easily be fixed before you shoot.

It looks good from the pics, don't get me wrong, but and experienced set of hands and eyes can see quite a bit, and paint isn't cheap these days

Other than that, as a guy who has blended black into white, done a zillion completes and LOVED insurance work, modern base/clears are where it's at assuming almost any color other than pure black.  Even then base clear is nice, but single stage black has a look to it that I like.

Modern paints are made for production, and you can define it as, spray, cure, cut and buff all within 24-48 hours depending on the type you use.  Really nice compared to the stuff I grew up with, allows you to sand runs, dirt, crap, you name it, and recoat as required faster than ever before
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 10:02:05 PM »
When it's in primer, it's nearly impossible to find minor flaws, even with an experienced set of hands. Eyes don't work very well because primer is flat and will not show any glassy, mirror-like, reflection. The best way to find them is A: wet the panel down with water and sight down it. The problem with this method is that water does not sit smoothly on the panels; it tends to look wavy because of the nature of water and its surface tension. Or B: The best way is to take some wax and grease remover and wipe the panel down. The W&G remover stays damp for a bit, lays perfectly flat on the panel and will show every flaw that is impossible to feel or see in primer. Just try it one time and you'll see what I mean.

And yes, I've been accused of being WAY to picky on my own stuff, so it all depends on how smooth you want the panel to look.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 09:02:00 PM »
Thanks guys for all the advice and words of encouragement. I've decided to go ahead with Guardsman Blue on the color.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 04:30:27 PM »
When it's in primer, it's nearly impossible to find minor flaws, even with an experienced set of hands. Eyes don't work very well because primer is flat and will not show any glassy, mirror-like, reflection. The best way to find them is A: wet the panel down with water and sight down it. The problem with this method is that water does not sit smoothly on the panels; it tends to look wavy because of the nature of water and its surface tension. Or B: The best way is to take some wax and grease remover and wipe the panel down. The W&G remover stays damp for a bit, lays perfectly flat on the panel and will show every flaw that is impossible to feel or see in primer. Just try it one time and you'll see what I mean.

And yes, I've been accused of being WAY to picky on my own stuff, so it all depends on how smooth you want the panel to look.

I wouldn't call it impossible, you can see anything as you do the work especially when you get to blocking, and even more with a guide coat.  I do agree that there is nothing wrong with checking your work while you clean it, but I can't imagine making any money if I would have had to stop and do that

Another trick is feel the panel with a rag, good for newer guys, as well as never feel with your fingers

I do like your style though, straight is straight, and if you aren't going to make it good enough for black, you shouldn't be doing it at all.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 07:35:54 PM »
but I can't imagine making any money if I would have had to stop and do that

I'm pretty sure Alan isn't getting paid anything for doing this ;D
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 08:09:10 PM »
I wish I could say it is going to be straight enough to paint black but I really don't think it will be...unless I paint it flat black.  ::) I just don't have the skills yet and this car was in a lot worse shape than I thought it was when I bought it.