Author Topic: One of the best engine builder books around......  (Read 2815 times)

machoneman

• View Profile
One of the best engine builder books around......
« on: March 07, 2016, 09:23:25 PM »
beyond Jay and Barry's books is the recently updated R-M book. Not cheap and heavy on Chevy stuff but it's still worth a read as many of the ideas, proven theories and assembly tricks apply to any engine type.  None of the many, old and discredited Smokey Yunick theories either. RIP Smokey we loved you but time and facts have moved on.

http://rehermorrison.com/engine-book/

p.s. great story on how Smokey took the bait and became a charlatan later in life. Sad.

http://www.caranddriver.com/columns/al-gore-wasnt-the-only-guy-flogging-an-80-mpg-car
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 05:12:38 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

falcongeorge

• View Profile
Re: One of the best engine builder books around......
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 12:57:09 AM »
Car & Driver also printed a photo-shopped photo of a BMV SUV beating Johnny Rottens 9 second chevy II off the starting line and tried to pass it off as real. Seriously. Automotive equivalent of the National Enquirer.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 07:15:14 AM »
As far as the "charlatan" article.  Grains of truth buried in there too - but you need to get past the stupid author's apparent (and inaccurate) back seat fixation.  He hammers on a couple pretty famous guys, and is approximately 100% wrong on at least one of them.  Of course its an old article too - 2005.

Take a quick observation on the Moody car.  Got to look around and see if we have any turbocharged diesel small cars that can get good freeway mileage.  Yep - in the middle 40s along with a bunch of weight, safety gizmos and bags, semi-functional emissions equipment (VW :)  ), four doors, and air conditioned comfort.  Turn that stuff out and install the concept into a 70's stripper looking for just a mileage number with no need for power and maybe that guy was actually on to something - eh?

As for Smokey - he was an experience type of guy.  Not a "trained engineer".  Things progress in two ways on hot rod engines - they "evolve" or they get "revolutionized".  Traditional engineers tend to evolve stuff, making them a little better on each iteration by making small changes and tracking progress to see if it worked.  They have proven and refined combinations and eventually win the most races.

Folks like Smokey tend to revolutionize stuff by making numerous radical changes all at once, finding out if it all breaks, or wins, and then changing everything again either way.  They are the ones that make huge leaps or directional changes by trying stuff that nobody else would even think of, much less actually build.  Win or lose, their efforts are usually more spectacular and entertaining.  When they hit upon something you'll see everybody in the game doing the "why didn't I think about that" deal.  When they fail everybody lines up saying "why the hell would anybody do that..".

Consider all the great inventors of history (the Edison, Franklin, Tesla, Einstein, DaVinci types...) and how many of them were noted as calm, easy going and polished in their personal lives.  Same can be said for highly artistic and gifted sports folks.  Seems like you need to be a bit nuts in order to be that creative.

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 03:52:01 PM »
As I have Barry's, Jay's, Smokey's, and the R-M book, and also the Sunnen machining guide stuff, I can say I've learned a little or a lot from each. I even have the old Chevrolet Power book, because as the wise man said, they all have pistons that go up and down. Smokey was an innovator by nature and a shit-disturber at heart, similar to another push the envelope guy, Junior Johnson. Having grown up around the road racing stuff in the Sixties at the Glen, I would add a few others, Jim Hall, Roger Penske and Bruce McLaren- all of whom I had the pleasure of watching drive and also engineer some pretty wild stuff. Hall even had his own road race course, Rattlesnake raceway, with photo sensors mounted in holes in the track, in the mid-sixties- and worked up through the wings to the 2J or "sucker" Chaparral, with a 440 JLO snowmobile engine under a box with ground following skirts, driving a pair of suction fans to hold the car to the ground. Penske was a master of the parts book in Trans-Am, using stuff like four lug wheels off six-cylinder cars for faster pits tops. Smokey was of course a little bit of a nutbag, but the biggest genius while being a pretty twisted individual was Henry Ford- find a copy of the book "The Fords"

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 08:43:57 AM »
Hey Gene, what is the official title of the Sunnen book/guide as I do want to look it up.
Thanks! 
Bob Maag