Author Topic: For the Bracket Racers  (Read 7035 times)

thatdarncat

• View Profile
For the Bracket Racers
« on: February 25, 2016, 06:31:32 PM »
This subject is for the members that Drag Race - Bracket Race or other "dial" forms of drag racing, like Stock & Super Stock. If you haven't kept up on the new "Slew Rate" ignition & engine controls you may want to study up. These controls ( the MSD Grid is one ) are being used across the country and they give a definite advantage to the racer using them over those that don't have them. Right now there are generally no rules at most tracks preventing them from being used in "No Electronics" classes. Many tracks don't even have a clue about these. Locally we've been seeing a few racers who have installed these really winning in the Pro ET and No Electronics classes, as well as the Electronics classes. These devices can also be used on high horsepower cars to function as a form of traction control to further make them very consistent. I'm just trying to spread the word since many racers as well as track owners and tech officials are not aware how these are being used. Here's a link to an online article that explains the basics.

http://etdragracing.com/magazine/2014-autumn/dead-on-why-is-bracket-racing-the-only-form-of-racing-without-rules
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

mlcraven

• View Profile
Re: For the Bracket Racers
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 08:33:44 PM »
I've always found Jok Nicholson's views and perspective thoughtful, this column no less so. 

For better or worse, bracket racing is like most (if not all) motorsports -- as the technology evolves and the prize money goes up, the low-bucks operator gets squeezed out and the big player has to seek every possible advantage at ever increasing expense.  Then the sanctioning body makes an effort to level the field and...presto!...pretty soon you have NASCAR's 'car of tomorrow' and drag racing main events that struggle to attract 16-car fields with race cars (funny cars, at any rate) that all look like anal suppositories.

Human nature at work I think..and the inevitable consequence of the engineering tendency to achieve homogeneity of design in the pursuit of perfection. 
Michael

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 09:32:54 PM »
Other than line-loks for burnouts and rev limiters for engine safety, I hate any and ALL electronic "helpers". Data acquisition, trans brakes, programmable ignitions, delays, throttle stops and all the other gizmos are crutches that do the work that people used to have to figure out on a trial and error basis with their own mind and coordination...and be able to repeat it by themselves, run after run.

I realize it's denying technology, but it won't end until you reach a point where you just push a button....the car will stage, detect the lights, launch...and drive itself down the track. It's actually to that point now. All they do is steer the car. I also realize you can't just eliminate bunches of classes, and that fuel injection today needs electronic controls. Go ahead, keep those classes, but add classes that are old school. ONE car, ONE driver, and ZERO electronics except for a basic CD ignition with rev-limiter for engine safety. I'd even outlaw a 2 step. To make it easier, they could delay the light activation just a couple of seconds to let the driver get his RPM up where he wanted or just use the single stage.

But then again, I don't even like the idea of bracket racing. I guess it's just the "streeter" in me. You race a car, and the first one to the end wins. Period. I've never been able to swallow the idea of racing a clock. The whole purpose of tuning your car is to make it faster, not slow it down if you're running too fast. I do get what it's intended purpose is though, to make a variety of cars competitive with each other.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 09:39:43 PM »
Drag racing is a pricey past time.
Even at our track/airport the box cars pretty much out number the no box in the fast ranks.
And it is rare to see a full on stick car pounding away.
I can see the reasoning behind it. It is a lot easier on the equipment and reduces the risk
of a catastrophic miss and destruction.
I'll be damned if I'm putting a box in my POS.
It's gear jamin all the way! ::)

IDOIT4SPEED

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 12:25:49 AM »
this is just the tip of the iceberg. this stuff has ben going on for years. and they wonder why the car counts are dropping.

NIsaacs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 08:15:32 AM »
There was a poster on here awhile back that painted his aluminum heads to look stock, class requirement......there is a puller in my class with duals on his Suburban....don't get me started, Lol

Nick
2021 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins of course!
2017 Ford Escape, 2.0 Eco Boost
2001 Ram 2500 4x4 QC short bed, Cummins, 6spd, some mods
1991 Dodge D250, reg cab, Cummins, 5spd, mods
1974 F-350, Cummins, 5spd, 3spd aux, mods
1975 F-250 4x4, 428, C-6, Sled Puller

57 lima bean

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 09:09:54 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIomJKf-bdg     For some folks it's a God sent device.For others it's straight from hell.

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 12:41:42 PM »
And here I don't even run one of those cheating automatic trans...

57 lima bean

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 12:49:48 PM »

The "left" is proposing ALL people with auto's can now run Powder Puff.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 01:34:34 PM »

Yes, it's a slippery slope isn't it? LOL.

I mainly wanted to make people aware of this. Many people race only occasionally, or don't race with a group of die hards who follow the latest technology and get discouraged when their good running car gets beat continually without realizing the person in the other lane has "help". I remember bracket racing when delay boxes first hit the market and initially there were no rules prohibiting them in any class. We had a few early adopters who were cleaning up even in the street classes before tracks finally started breaking things into "Electronics" and "No Electronics". I think the sanctioning bodies let that go on too long before taking some action. The same thing seems to be going on now. Many small tracks that often have volunteer help on race day are not even aware of this technology and it seems some of the bigger tracks are waiting for direction from NHRA / IHRA that hasn't happened. 
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

IDOIT4SPEED

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 02:51:35 PM »
 its not doing to get better any time soon. think what you could do. drive by wire throttle, electronic shift auto trans. first install ground speed radar, gps, wheel speed sensors, transmission input sensor, tie all of this in to programmable ecu like a mega squirt ms3 pro. you can have, top speed limiter, full wheel speed traction control, run timer red and green lites to tell you if your are ahead or behind on the run. the wheel speed sensors and gps will figure exactly how far to go under power  if I convert my car to efi all of this is easy. how can you prove that I am doing it unless I till you? 

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 03:47:06 PM »
It's easy, a old tech carbed FE and a clutch pedal and manual shift gear box.
To moi real car fun is letting the clutch go at 5000 rpm and see what happens. :o
Pushing on a button has no thrill for me.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 04:07:56 PM »
Its becoming like watching TV. Press a button and just watch :-\

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

IDOIT4SPEED

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 05:43:59 PM »
check out these guys. www.umtrnorth.com

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 06:09:56 PM »
check out these guys. www.umtrnorth.com

I've actually been thinking about joining that organization. Probably not with the Mach 1, but with another car.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe