Author Topic: is this an oem Mustang/Cougar Competition Plus  (Read 4500 times)

falcongeorge

• View Profile
is this an oem Mustang/Cougar Competition Plus
« on: February 08, 2016, 07:06:19 PM »
Is this an OEM Mustang Cougar Comp Plus?

falcongeorge

• View Profile
Re: is this an oem Mustang/Cougar Competition Plus
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 07:07:56 PM »
Sorry these are so small and hard to see, it wont let me post them any bigger.

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 07:09:37 PM »
mounting plate

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 07:10:18 PM »
xx

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 07:10:47 PM »
xx

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 02:56:30 PM »
falcongeorge I'm confused on what you are after referring to  "OEM Mustang Cougar Comp Plus"
The Ford Motor Company "OEM" factory installed HURST Shifters were not Competition Plus HURST Shifters. Truthfully the shift-lever and handle were about the only parts that resembled over the Speed-Shop counters HURST Comp Plus Shifters.
   I have both a 69 and 70 FoMoCo HURSTs that I picked up on their orig top-loaders

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 05:58:44 PM »
Yes, what I mean is this a factory ford Hurst shifter for a Mustang/Cougar, or for a Torino. I know it is a factory Ford Hurst shifter, trying to figure out which car its for. I'm about 80% sure its Mustang/Cougar, just looking for confirmation. And yes, I will be selling it.

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 10:50:40 PM »
FWIW, an aftermarket Comp Plus will not have slots on the shifter end of the rods, it will have the threaded swivel thingys on both ends. Pretty sure the angle of the stick indicates this is for Mustang/Cougar, but I was wondering if anyone on here had an OEM hurst from a mustang/cougar for comparison? The trans levers cross-reference to a toploader number and fit on the studs on the toploader for my '65 Falcon. The mounting plate is also toploader.

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 10:53:35 PM »
FWIW, an aftermarket Comp Plus will not have slots on the shifter end of the rods, it will have the threaded swivel thingys on both ends. Pretty sure the angle of the stick indicates this is for Mustang/Cougar, but I was wondering if anyone on here had an OEM hurst from a mustang/cougar for comparison? The trans levers cross-reference to a toploader number and fit on the studs on the toploader for my '65 Falcon. The mounting plate is also toploader.
And before anyone asks, the shift rods do not work on my Falcon toploader, they are too long.

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 06:45:31 PM »
First off BB, Ford did indeed use a Hurst shifter, not just the handle, starting in 1970. 69 4 speed models had a crappy Ford built unit, with a round handle with no Hurst lettering.
George, on a factory Ford Hurst shifter, at least for 70, the shifter handle is removeable, and is retained with a thin spring tab. As you mentioned, the Ford Hurst shifter did have slotted ends on the rods, with pivots with a rectangular boss that fit into these slots. Much like the OE Mustang floor shifters. The over the counter Hurst shifters used threaded pivots and shifter rods with threaed ends. However, the handle on your shifter appears to have but shortened, and maybe bent as well. At least the OE 70 Mustang Hurst shifter I had in the mid 70s was much longer, and curved rearward, similar to how the aftermarket Hurst Comp/Plus did. I replaced my OE Hurst with an aftermarket unit, as I didnt really like the bit of movement between the shifter handle and shifter box on the OE shifter. The aftermarket Comp/Plus shifters, at least for Mustangs were one of few that did not have a bolted on handle, it was welded on. One new feature for the 1970 Mustangs with 4 speeds, was the reverse lever on the transmission itself had an extra arm, which was used to connect via a rod, to the steering column. This was to allow the top of the column to rotate, so you needed to put the transmission into reverse, to remove the ignition key, which was located on the steering column for the 1rst time, starting in 1970. Its been almost 40 years now, but I can not recall if my 70s Hurst shifter had any stop bolts, or if the mounting bracket had `Hurst`cast into it, or a Ford part no. I am sure that some restorer would know.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:49:53 PM by Rory428 »
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 08:31:31 PM »
Thanks Rory, I was actually thinking about sending you these pics in a pm on the HAMB. I wonder if I have the right shift tower for this unit, and didn't realize it. I bought a big box of Hurst shifters, and recognized these rods as Ford OEM. I thought the shift tower in the photo went with the rest of these parts, based on a couple internet photos of Mustang shifters, I may have picked the wrong one. There are five shift towers in the box. Looks like more research is required.