Author Topic: FE powered '65 Mustang update  (Read 3632 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
FE powered '65 Mustang update
« on: February 07, 2016, 06:25:41 PM »
'65 Mustang update.
 I finally shot some primer on the Mustang today. The stuff I am using is called Z-chrome and is actually a sprayable filler. Just some really nasty stuff. It is supposed to help rookies like me but I get the feeliing I will need a lot more than that by the time I am finished.  ::) All I can say is anyone who complains about how expensive a quality paint job costs needs to try it themselves one time.

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: FE powered '65 Mustang update
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 09:53:20 PM »
All I can say is anyone who complains about how expensive a quality paint job costs needs to try it themselves one time.

You certainly got that right! 2 of my closest friends have owned/operated a body shop for 40 years, and have done a LOT of very nice cars. I've learned a lot from them. Materials these days are just out-of-sight expensive, and you can wrap up several thousand dollars just in that, for a quality job. When I finished my Mustang, I swore I never wanted to see another piece of sandpaper again for the rest of my life!  Of course that only holds until the next project ::)

What really sucks is when you see 95% of that expensive primer and filler end up on the floor after it's all sanded off..lol  But that's what it takes to get them really straight. Good luck on finishing yours. Sanding the clear topcoat, if that's what you're using, seems like it takes forEVER.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 11:15:25 PM »
Looking good, Alan.  Prepare to block sand  ;D
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 06:36:03 AM »
Yours is simple compared to what I`m up against, Try 2 complete color changes on International trucks yellow to red. My dumbass nephew figured 1000 each to paint with materials. Need less to say I revised his bid. After the smoke cleared He got one quote for 3500 each. We decided to do them ourselves against my advice and pricing for materials. I`ve spent 2 days sanding sofar on 1.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 06:38:24 AM »
'65 Mustang update.
 I finally shot some primer on the Mustang today. The stuff I am using is called Z-chrome and is actually a sprayable filler. Just some really nasty stuff. It is supposed to help rookies like me but I get the feeliing I will need a lot more than that by the time I am finished.  ::) All I can say is anyone who complains about how expensive a quality paint job costs needs to try it themselves one time.

Assisted on one paint job and actually did all but the spraying on one of my own cars, a '79 Capri.No way, never again, way too much tedious work!
Bob Maag