Author Topic: Hope I'm not asking something too volatile: Jay build (design) us a wedge head  (Read 7595 times)

FERoadster

• View Profile
FE engine for your Galaxie for Drag Week.
What parts would you use? Please include drivetrain parts as well. (Flywheel, clutch, trans and rear axle setup)
Lets base it off a Pond aluminum block or a BBM or Sideoiler Garage block. Interested in Intake, heads, cam, pistons, stroke & bore..........
Delete if you think I'm asking things that would side you towards specific manufacturers. 

Richard >>> FERoadster

turbohunter

• View Profile
Some clues here prolly. ;)
This engines does things to me. Bad things.

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=168.0
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
The high riser thread that Marc linked to above is about the way I would do it again, except with the following changes:

-  I would use one of my high riser intake adapters, instead of machining the base manifold parts from billet.  Much cheaper and easier...

-  I would use a CVR water pump with my water pump adapters, instead of trying to adapt a 429/460 55 gpm pump.  Again, cheaper and easier.

-  I would use one of my timing chain covers and a hopefully soon-to-be-available adjustable timing chain, rather than the Danny Bee belt drive.  Cheaper and easier.

-  I would definitely skip the external oil pump, sticking with the stock oil pump and a separate vacuum pump for crankcase vacuum.  Cheaper and easier.

I suppose the pattern is clear LOL!  The parts I am manufacturing now are largely the result of deficiencies I have found in trying to build higher horsepower FE engines.  And although I really like the Blue Thunder high riser heads, to be honest I think there are some fairly major compromises in the basic wedge FE head design that limit the total power production.  None of the aftermarket heads available now address those deficiencies.  I have a plan to do that, although it is probably a year or two out...

On the drivetrain, I would use a good C-4 provided that the engine's horsepower level was 900 or less.  Torque converter from Neal Chance Racing Converters, driveshaft back would be all Mark Williams stuff, including an aluminum through-bolt case, 35 spline axles, their pro-street bearings on the axles and housing ends to match on the housing.  Hard to pick a gear without knowing the vehicle weight and horsepower curve, but if the car was a Galaxie around 4000 pounds, probably a 4.56 gear would be about right.  Add a Gear Vendor's overdrive to the transmission if you were going to street the car as well as race it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 09:29:15 AM by jayb »
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Seems there are already heads that can getcha there....
Assuming you want to stick with the original FE head design, and not go canted valves or something like that.

Current FE wedge parts that are lacking I'd like to see:

-2x4 MR intake (BT's is fine, but hard to come by, air gap style for a street engine would be nice)
-3x2 intake built for the 500-600+ hp crowd  (better flow in the MR style)
-2x4 Tunnel Wedge for the high hp folks (BBM supposedly has one in the works)

machoneman

• View Profile
And although I really like the Blue Thunder high riser heads, to be honest I think there are some fairly major compromises in the basic wedge FE head design that limit the total power production.  None of the aftermarket heads available now address those deficiencies.  I have a plan to do that, although it is probably a year or two out...

Ah, Jay has those creative juices flowing!

With his adaptor in raw form, a lot of modern design factors could be incorporated into a all-new FE head.

-Heart-shaped, very small cc combustion chambers
-side cant valves ala' Jon Kaase's SBF P-38 head
-doing away entirely with the single shaft-mounted rocker assembly
-relocating the intake's port shape for more swirl
- true canted valves ala' the Yates/Cleveland 351 head design
-re-doing the L-R exhaust port orientation to straight out
-raising said exhaust ports roof.... a lot.

Fun to contemplate all or some of the changes that could be made now isn't it?   
Bob Maag

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Seems there are already heads that can getcha there....
Assuming you want to stick with the original FE head design, and not go canted valves or something like that.

I'm not interested in going canted valve, but I am also not interested in sticking with the original FE head design.  I'd like to have a set of heads where a "cookbook" 1000 horsepower is possible, given 500 cubes and the right combination of parts.  To do that with existing FE heads requires custom everything in the engine, and it still isn't easy...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
I could show ya some ideas....

machoneman

• View Profile
1,000 hp @ 500 CID = 2.0 hp/CID. Wow, that's asking for a lot.
Bob Maag

gdaddy01

• View Profile
yea , we want MORE

bn69stang

• View Profile
Hell yeah Jay i cant speak for everyone , but i want 500 cubes under the hood of my stang before its all over ..
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

Rich P

• View Profile
Hello Jay my name is Richard. A new head for the FE would be great maybe a full head design so a normal intake could be used. This gets  me very excited and I will also put my money were my mouth is. I would like do donate to this cause to help it happen sooner.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Richard, welcome to the forum.  The head I envision would raise the port way too high to use any existing FE intake manifolds; definitely new manifold territory, to go with the heads.   I would also want to keep the pushrod through intake design, to keep the basic flavor of the FE engine.  Thanks for the donation offer, but as a general principle I don't accept money from others for products I don't have.   In order to make this happen its more of time issue for me anyway...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 07:58:42 PM by jayb »
Jay Brown

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Good thing ya know someone that makes FE Intake adapters :P

Marx427

• View Profile
Why not design a hybrid?   How about a tunnel port  high riser...?  A new/old  design that straightens the port by routing the push rods through the port, but with up to date high port entry?
1965 427 Galaxie 500 (Clone) 468ci 4 Speed

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
I have been thinking almost exactly along those lines, but with a little twist...  ;)
Jay Brown