Author Topic: Weight and ET  (Read 4498 times)

RLander

• View Profile
Weight and ET
« on: April 07, 2011, 07:50:26 AM »
The rule of thumb that I have heard is that for every 100lbs a car looses it will subtract a tenth from the ET. I was looking at the fiberglass parts for my 64 Gal on the Crites site and was wondering how much weight the trunk lid, front and rear bumpers, and core support, would cut off of the Gal. Or should I get the Fiberglass doors as well? I have already replaced the Front outer fenders and hood along with the heavy iron intake. What Fiberglass parts did you run on your 64 JayB? I would love to read a build up spec sheet for your 64 if you have one.
Thanks and best regards,
RLander

1964 Galaxie "Super Frod"
390, 4spd

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Weight and ET
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 10:29:45 AM »
When I put all the Crites parts on my Galaxie, it knocked 230 pounds off the car.  I thought that was kind of disappointing; I was hoping to lose more.  The biggest gains were in the hood and trunk lid (combined 100 pounds savings, including removing the latching mechanism on the hood), and the front and rear bumpers (combined 95 pounds savings, including the bumper brackets replaced with the Crites fiberglass parts).  I also used the Crites front fenders, inner fenders, and core support, and those parts saved another 35 pounds total, most of that in the core support.  I was looking for fiberglass doors, but I wasn't able to find them for the '64 Galaxie.  They would also offer a significant potential weight savings, but of course they'd be much flimsier than the factory doors, and since I wanted to run a stock door panel and window mechanism/windows, I ended up staying with the factory doors.  I don't really have a build sheet for my Galaxie, but I'd be happy to answer any specific questions that you may have.

A tenth per 100 pounds is a pretty good rule of thumb for a 12 second car, but if the car is slower than that, you'll pick up less than a tenth, and if the car is faster, you'll pick up more.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

RLander

• View Profile
Re: Weight and ET, Thanks Jay
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 11:18:50 AM »
Thanks Jay, I appreciate your time. 200lbs sounds good to me, however I as well was hoping for closer to 300. Your galaxie is amazing along with your other cars. I enjoy your work and what you have done for the FE world.
Best Regards,
RLander ;D

1964 Galaxie "Super Frod"
390, 4spd